Topic

ULA Circuit with cuben hydrid fabric.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA Circuit with cuben hydrid fabric.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Okay, that's good to hear. Thanks guys.

Now to see if ULA is willing to replace the silnylon used on the pack with their 210 "Robic" and if so, how much will it cost.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Alex,

ULA usually charges a $50 fee for custom work, and then whatever the fabric up charge is. Going from Robic 210/Sil to all Cuben hybrid is $50 for example.

Ryan

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"Going from Robic 210/Sil to all Cuben hybrid is $50 for example."
    It's $80 these days.

I imagine simply replacing the (70D?) upper nylon bit with Robic would be much less however.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Looks like a beautiful pack. I know the main benefits of Cuben over Robic are weight and water resistance. Are there other benefits?

Michael Ttrafton
    BPL Member

@mtrafton

Locale: North Carolina

I saw the post and ordered one myself, only I decided to get the Air-X. With Cuben and removing most of the extras the weigh should be under 30oz. I'll try to post some pictures when it comes in.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I got my cuben hybrid Catalyst from ULA this week. It's sort of a pale grey/green/blue cuben hybrid. It's actually dark green cuben inside and sorta white polyester on the outside. It takes away the brightness of the pure white cuben hybrid which is all I wanted. Aside from the fabric, it's got extra straps on the bottom and no hydration ports (to decrease water influx during packrafting).

Catalyst 1

The bottoms of the side pockets are cordura. The rest of the pocket is 210D ripstop nylon and then the body is 1.5oz cuben + wov.32 polyester hybrid (3.3oz). Same stuff as HMG.
    Catalyst II

ULA made all the little accents the same cuben hybrid fabric for a cohesive look. Great attention to detail as with all ULA packs.
    Catalyst III

For better scale, here's a 2400 HMG Windrider and a ULA Ohm (1.0). It's a nice size step up from my Ohm – large without being enormous.
    Catalyst IV

As an aside, Roman Dial's "packraft fold" is easily the best way to pack a raft. There are some nuances to it though, so watch Roman's video and PM me if you're having trouble making it work. Here's a rolled raft in the Alpacka sack (which is hard to get it into) versus the packraft fold which is much more easily accomplished:
    Packraft fold

Here's two folded packrafts, easily stored side by side in the pack:
    packrafts

And the obligatory picture of me wearing the pack. I don't look as thrilled as Kyle, but he got outside with his. I'm slaving away at university for another 4 weeks. The pack is pretty much right on 40oz right now with maybe 1oz of strap trimming in its future. The pack fits well and should be great for its intended use (+7 day hiking trips or packrafting trips)
    :Catalyst V

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Chris at ULA said he thought the ohm would likely be too small for a JMT (and hopefully?!!) a PCT thru if I carried a bearikade weekender. Dan, looking at all those packs side by side makes me a) sooooo want one of them and b) think the circuit is an awful lot of pack.

My non-bear canister 3 season base weight is 9 pounds.

Would I be unhappy trying to carry an ohm with a canister and possibly 8 days of food/fuel?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

You're probably aware, but just to be clear my new pack shown above is a Catalyst – one size larger than Mike's Circuit. So imagine the Circuit fitting between the the Ohm and Catalyst in my lineup picture. I think it's about the same height but narrower.

I've carried an Ohm and a bear canister on a few occasions. The longest was 4 days, but I had most of the food for two so it was close to an 8 day supply (no it didn't all fit in the canister, does it ever?). The trouble with an Ohm and a bear canister is that most (all?) bear canisters have that ridge in the middle. The ohm has a thin back pack (1/4"?) so this ridge pokes/rubs on your back and there's really no way to pack it so it doesn't.

I personally don't think the Ohm is that bad at 35 lbs – and that's the regular Ohm, not the cushier Ohm 2.0. So the weight of 8 days of food and a bear canister can work if you've got a high-ish discomfort tolerance and it's not a long term situation. Almost regardless of packweight, I find the ridge on the canisters to be more of an issue. I usually get a little spot rubbed red on my back from it, so I pack the pack differently each day so it rubs in different spots. So for occasional bear canister use the Ohm is fine, but if you're using a canister regularly then I'd look at getting a canister without a ridge (if they exist) or getting a different pack.

David Ure

@familyguy

Jennifer, you could always look at the HMG Windrider 3400, which has the beefier shoulder straps and belt from the Porter. It will be more than big enough. You can put your food inside your pack while hiking and strap the bear canister to the top "Y" strap, empty of course. At camp, put the food in the canister.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"but if you're using a canister regularly then I'd look at getting a canister without a ridge (if they exist) or getting a different pack."

Could you file the ridge down without compromising the structural integrity of the canister?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

It looks like there are some better canister options out there. I've only used this canister, which has a rather large ridge:

bc

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

The Bearicades do not have that ridge.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Dan, that looks great!

Thanks for the pictures, especially the one with two packrafts.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Dan, that looks really nice. Nothing against Kyle's pack, but seeing ULA do all the detailing with the hybrid material makes a big difference aesthetically.

I'm really interested to see where they go developing there packs with this material–especially as they move beyond just doing their current models to really take advantage of some of the differences in the fabric properties.

It looks like they may be giving HMG a run for their money. This is what I like to see–two fantastic companies spurring innovation in each other.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Actually Dan, I missed that because I was so blinded by all that cuben wonderousness!!!!

That little nugget of info actually helps quite a bit (you'd think I'd have better reading comprehension at this stage of my life/career…). To me it looked like holy-crap-that-circuit-is-huge!!

So I really need to just stop whining and go buy some packs (thanks Dave for adding yet ANOTHER one to consider!) early and start trying to carry my bear canister unnecessarily on my weekend trips to see what I think.

Thank you everyone for listening to me not be able to make a decision.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Now THIS is an advance in backpacks materials and design.

>Internal frame
    >good hip belt
    >state-of-the-art fabrics
    >intelligent design

(Osprey, do you SEE this pack? Time to step up your game.)

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

This thread made me breakout the wife and I's circuits and take a peek. I'd love to get my hands on the Catalyst A La Dan…….. But the Mchale Super Sarc' is too close. First think I've seen that makes me drool however and +1 to the ULA hipbelt comments. Good stuff!

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Jennifer,

I did an 8 day trip last September with the Ohm 2.0…. used a Scout Bearikade on its side… had a one man tent, Scout, 8 days of food… 26 lbs total nic water… took it off trail over talus, scree, etc… was my first trip with that pack and loved it…

though reading above I'd love to have it made with a light color Cuben… the black is so dark makes it hard to see things when you packing down in that dark hole :)

Bill

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I was so set on a Circuit until the new Exped Lightning backpacks hit the market and now I'm stuck. I was going to grab a 45 liter Exped Lighting from Campsaver.com for $160, but missed the boat. I thought it was a reasonable price and they have a great return policy so trying it out would be painless. Well, I missed that and I'm just going to give up this season and carry my boat anchor, Cilogear 45L Worksack @ 3.5 lbs.

Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

Locale: CA Central Valley

Whew, thats super light compared to my 6.5lb Lowe Alpine that I carry. Eek!

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools