Topic

ULA Circuit with cuben hydrid fabric.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA Circuit with cuben hydrid fabric.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

Just had this backpack shipped by the fine gentlemen at ULA and I'm pretty damn excited. The pack body fabric is the same Zpacks uses for their Exo backpack—1.43 oz/sqyd cuben fiber with a protective layer of 50D polyester on the outside. This is lighter than the fabric used in HMG backpacks, but not by much (2.92 oz/sqyd vs 3.3 oz/sqyd). I'm planning to tape the inner seams with cuben tape to complete the rainproofing.

ULA1

ula2

Kevin Hall

@classicmagger

I want one. I just ordered an Arc Blast an hour ago though. Looks very cool. What's the weight of that bad boy?

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

whoa.. is that custom or coming soon from them?

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

@Kevin: it's 4.5 ounces lighter than a typical Circuit. In size large, it's 36oz with every option. I'll be removing everything except the aluminum stay and one water bottle shoulder strap, so it should be right around two pounds.

@Jason
    : Custom. I also had them add a second side compression strap because I'll be carrying Altai Hok skis on the pack through the winter.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Kevin,
    I just got my Arc Blast a couple of weeks ago. Sweet pack. Very comfy. I think you'll like it.
    -Mark

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

Locale: Austin, TX

Did anyone else initially think the pack has a bit of the Holy Glow like something you witness for the first time and can't help but hearing a church choir in the background going "ooooooOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!"? I honestly thought it was photoshopped for a whole second to reinforce the cuben fiber arc of the covenant angle, for a whole second. Made me laugh.

Ron Berry

@squishware

Locale: Southwest Florida

That is a sexy pack.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Well, I got it and it's a beautiful beast. I ordered some 1" cuben tape from Zpacks to tape the interior seams. It's never going to be as waterproof as an HMG bag just by virtue of the features and how it's constructed, but it'll be waterproof enough to eliminate a pack cover here in Oregon.

seam sealed cuben circuit

seam sealed cuben circuit 2

Now to wait for the rain to switch to snow in the higher elevations so I can do some snowcamping!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

That's a really awesome pack. I've been very impressed with ULA packs and this water proof fabric was all that's missing. I hope they're doing this on a regular basis.

Michael S
    BPL Member

@cascadebackpacker

Locale: Pacific NW

That is one sweet lookin pack. I want to get one but I'm concerned about the white color used on these. I can't imagine that stays white very long.

Anyone have experience with these White cuben bags from Zpacks, Hyperlight Mountain Gear, etc….Does the white fade over time to tan, brown…?

Can't find any pics from a somewhat worn bag in this material.

Thanks

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Scroll down a bit here, and you can see what Luc Mehl's HMG Porter looked like after the AMWC this summer.

David Ure

@familyguy

Nice HMG Windrider.

J/K

David Ure

@familyguy

Michael, the white picks up dirt but a little Oxy and the dirt stains are gone.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

@David Ure: Windrider with a better frame, a better hip belt, better side pockets, and load lifters?

David Ure

@familyguy

Better frame? How so?

For me, load lifters wouldn't make up for the 10 oz weight differential. I would want something lighter than 36 oz that was cuben otherwise what is the benefit?

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

The bag is 34oz with the features I don't use removed. That's less than 6 ounces heavier than a Windrider. I say it has a better frame because of the hip belt, the carbon hoop and stay, and the load lifters. At the minimum, everyone would agree load lifters are better than not at the loads these packs are designed for.

Edit: not to mention the torso length adjustment of plus or minus 1.5 inches that ULA packs afford.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Nice looking pack and based on the photo of yourself, it fits pretty well. You got just what you wanted and the few negative posts must be cuben-hybrid pack envy for sure.

David Ure

@familyguy

The hip belt on the Windrider is 4" wide and just as long ( padded portion) as the Circuit. The Large belt is longer than the Medium, etc. you can have HMG swap out a larger or smaller size for you.

Not adjustable torso; just 4 different torso sizes.

David Ure

@familyguy

"You got just what you wanted and the few negative posts must be cuben-hybrid pack envy for sure."

Dam funny

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Looks like an awesome pack, Kyle! I've always enjoyed the fit of the ULA packs, so this looks pretty great. You'll have to report back and let us know how it fares on the trail!

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Nice looking pack, Kyle.

Your side profile picture with the pack on is one of the very few I've seen where the Circuit looks like it's actually fitted and riding correctly. Most of the photos online, and what I've seen on the trail, the pack appears to be slumped below the user's shoulders with the load "lifter" straps angled straight across or even downward from the shoulders. This is actually what has put me off of trying one.

Have you had a chance to put some miles on it yet?

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

It's been out on two overnight snow camping trips so far—only about 15 trail miles all told. That said, I was carrying quite a bit more weight than I typically do and it carried really well.

Here's a photo I took of myself on the first trip with about 30 pounds on my back. It's hard to see but the load lifters are still being used properly:

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Thanks for the feedback. The pack looks good and more importantly, it looks like you're having a good time.

One more question if you don't mind: how do you like the hipbelt? Specifically, it looks pretty dang wide. Much wider than any other hipbelt I've ever used, including traditional non-lightweight packs (e.g. Osprey Aether). Does it cause any binding or restriction of movement like high leg lifts while scrambling?

Everything about the Circuit seems great, but I'd really like to try one on before I buy, which is why I have so many questions. I may just have to accept the return shipping costs and order one to try it out.

Thanks again.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Using the same belt on the Ohm and Catalyst, I find it to be very comfortable. Definitely not restrictive or binding. The best thing about it is that the buckle has straps leading to both the bottom and top of the belt. This seems to make the belt cradle the hip bones comfortably and securely. Best hipbelt I've used in 40 years of backpacking!

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Agreed. ULA's belts are amazing. I don't have a single issue with them, and the hip belt pockets are amazing.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools