Topic

ZimmerBuilt Custom HMG Porter Water Bottle Pockets

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Seth Brewer BPL Member
PostedNov 13, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Wanted some pockets that I could fit insulated water bottles in for the winter and that would match the white of the Porter. This is his genius design that he came up with for me with white Xpac (I think) to mostly match the white theme.ZB1

Another viewZB2

Features a slanted top to access bottles easier while walking, with a toggle and drawcord so they can be closed when full of gear or snacks, attachments to slick-clips right onto the daisy chains on the sidesZB3
Looking at the back to show the clipsZB4

Nico . BPL Member
PostedNov 13, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Chris and I had just been emailing back and forth on this same exact design (except in Dyneema X) for the Porter pack over the last couple of weeks. Seems I'm not the only one!

Looking forward to getting mine too.

I've seen a slight variation he made for someone else for their HMG Expedition pack, but haven't heard any reports on how well they worked out yet.

Thanks for sharing.

PostedNov 14, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Any feedback on how they perform? I have a Porter in route, and if I don't build my own (which I don't see myself having much time for for the next few months), I'll just buy some.

I really like these.

PostedNov 18, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Thanks for the tip. I had Chris do a set for me in Dyneema. I'll eventually dye them in black to match the rest of the pack, and I had him add a grommet for the drainage. Here are the obligatory pics:

porterpocket1

porterpocket2

porterpocket3

PostedNov 19, 2012 at 12:33 am

I ordered some from Joe and they're awesome – really enjoyed them on the trail with enough room to fit 2 smart water 1L bottles. I'll post some pics soon, basically they are the cuben pockets he normally uses with a cuben back piece. Very similar in shape and design to these Zimmerbuilt pockets, but attachments using waxy cord with 1/8 mini cord locks.

Nico . BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2012 at 8:09 am

Mine look just like Clayton's except my pockets are bellowed at the bottom (think pleated) so that they will lay flat(ter) against the pack when not holding a bottle.

Here's the pics from Chris of the completed pockets:

pockets1

pockets2

pockets3

And here's a few pics of them on one of our HMG Porters:

pockets4

pockets5

pockets6

They appear to fit the pack dimensions well and attach securely. I tossed a couple of 1L bottles in the pockets and stuffed a couple of sleeping bags in the pack and just walked around the house with it a little. The pockets didn't flop around at all and the bottles stayed securely in place.

Very pleased with the results. Looking forward to putting them to real use.

PostedNov 19, 2012 at 8:43 am

My theory is that Zimmer is going to put all the other cottage companies out of business someday.

PostedOct 24, 2013 at 10:46 am

Fast reply from Zimmer. For the same price, lighter weight than HMG's new offering and my crackers won't fall out.

"I have built 2 different types of Porter pockets, the ones like Nico's that are pleated and one like Seth Brewer's at the top of the link you sent, that are more 3D shaped/square bottom. Both clip to the packs webbing the same. The 3D shaped ones will hold the bottle lower in the pocket because of the flatter bottom where the pleated one will carry the bottle a little higher, but will lay flatter when not in use. I find the 3D pockets to hold a bottle nicer because it sits lower. The 3D shaped pocket weighs 3oz for a pair and the pleated ones weigh 2.75oz less a pair.

The pockets are $25 each plus $4 shipping.

I can build them in either black Dyneema X or White Xpac if you want to match the pack color.

If your interested in a pair just let me know which ones and what material and I will send you a paypal invoice for the total.

Thanks again for your interest,
Chris"

PostedOct 24, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I love my Zimmerbuilt pockets. I thought I might take them on and off as necessary–and I did for one trip–, but they work so well I just leave them on all the time now. They're excellent and a good place to store water, maps, and a few other small items I might need throughout the day.

PostedOct 24, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Thanks Clayton. That's exactly the feedback I was looking for. I was probably just going to copy yours. The pleats may be kind of restricting. I figure I could always put a rubber band around them if they hang out too much. I like the Dyneema, don't know if I'd want it to match the pack, I do think the white might keep my water cooler though.

As you can see everything would fall out of the HMG pockets. Even the water bottle is tied in. Knowing me, I'd probably catch a branch on it and rip the side of my pack off.
HMG

PostedOct 24, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Yeah–I don't see the need for pleats. The dyneema is tough and hasn't snagged on anything. The Porter has enough of a narrow profile that it's never been an issue.

I do think that the black will look sharper, and I wouldn't worry about it heating up your water. If it's that warm, your cold water won't be preserved anyway.

PostedOct 24, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Warm water hydrates just as well as cold, kids!

In all seriousness, Zimmer is the man. His products are always top of the line. I'd love to see if he can rig a similar holder that works on a shoulder strap to redistribute weight.

PostedOct 24, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Ken, delete the slash at the end. It's an error.

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedOct 24, 2013 at 8:34 pm

$25 for that!?! Pass. Disappointing is an understatement

A buttonhole would be lighter than a grommet.

PostedOct 26, 2013 at 5:56 am

HMG sold me on the Zimmer pockets. Black Dyneema X with a button hole. Thanks for the thread and the replies.

Working on a set of belt pockets as well. Zimmer's clips are for 1" strap, the Porter has 1.5". The positioning is a bit different as well.

belt
belt pocket

Stuart . BPL Member
PostedOct 26, 2013 at 6:16 am

Does Chris have a line on 1.5" clips for the hip belt pockets? I'm a fan of them, but you're right, they don't fit all that well on the Porter

PostedOct 26, 2013 at 8:20 am

Unfortunately Zimmer's clips are all 1". To fit the Porter belt, they would have to set lower as well, leaving the corners of the pocket hanging. Probably not a big deal but then Google doesn't come up with larger clips either.
Belt clips, like on an eyeglass case might fit the bill, or perhaps a couple of "D" rings with a short piece of strap to thread thru the daisy chain. If the straps were moved outward, it would support the corners. The straps could possibly be replaced with top and bottom loops and cordage used instead.
I'm going to wait and see what he comes up with before I start making novice suggestions unless someone here has already found a solution.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Loading...