Topic

Canister Windscreen – Quest for Quality

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Canister Windscreen – Quest for Quality

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

That is a clever design. How does the windscreen itself collapse for storage?

Rod Braithwaite
    BPL Member

@rodo

Locale: Salish Seashore

Feedback for the QiWiz design: Very adaptable idea. I wonder if you need the all of the square mesh? It is the stove struts that hold the pot, of course, so you could remove the center of the mesh and maybe trim the corners to form more of a ring shape. This would save save some weight and also permit use of 3 hooks (vs 4), further reducing parts and weight.

Hope this works out as another good product for you, keep us posted please.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Rod said,

"I wonder if you need the all of the square mesh? It is the stove struts that hold the pot, of course, so you could remove the center of the mesh and maybe trim the corners to form more of a ring shape. This would save save some weight and also permit use of 3 hooks (vs 4), further reducing parts and weight."

What about adapting 3 hooks to "hang" of off the stove's pot supports instead of using any of the mesh at all?

John asked,

"That is a clever design. How does the windscreen itself collapse for storage?"

From the pictures I'd hazard a guess that it rolls up to store in the cook pot because of the "hemmed" edges where it joins to form the circular shape.

Party On,

Newton

lew stookey

@tpkanu

I had the same thought as John Donewar that the screening was unnecessay and bent 3 paperclips and attached them thru the little holes on the pot supports on my Pocket Rocket to hold a screen. I constructed a 2 1/4" high aluminum flashing windscreen with "finger clearance" around a Backcountry Ti mug. The screen just sits in the hooks of the bent paper clips (I am sure that paperclips will not hold up and would recommend stainless steel wire).

I tested it this morning in 15mph winds with 2 cups of tap water and turned the Pocket Rocket to full blast and had a roiling boil in 3 minutes 15 seconds. The air temperature was 48F.

Totally unscientific, but it seems to work great as a windscreen and the canister did not seem to get much excess heat.

I did not take pictures.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Yes, the windscreen might need minor modification either to accommodate the burner controls or the pot handle.

Yes, it could be even lighter by using a triangular format for the mesh and/or cutting out some of the mesh in the center (though a triangular format would not fit a four-support system well, whereas the square format is more universally workable).

Also: the 3" square mesh with hooks only weighs 8 grams now, so not much savings to be had (I know, a gram is a gram).

If your stove pot supports have a good place to attach a wire, you can add three wires to support the windscreen. I have tried this with a Pocket Rocket and it works fine, saving the weight of the mesh. The mesh allows this system to fit many available canister stoves without modification. As a product, that is a good thing. I could certainly have a DIY option in which someone would attach wires themselves to their stove. I would ship the wires (with some spares) and the windscreen.

The titanium windscreen is rolled up inside or outside your pot or however you want to roll it. You could also use aluminum, though the titanium is nicer.

I will be adding some things to my product line in late December or January, including a variety of titanium windscreens for all types of stoves, including canister stoves, alcohol stoves, and Esbit stoves. I have just taken a leap of faith with a fairly big order (20 meters) of 0.1 mm thick titanium foil, which is about 25% lighter/thinner than the foil that titanium goat carries. Can you dig it?

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools