Topic

ultralite tights?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ultralite tights?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Anybody know where I can find super light men's tights? I've seen references in older posts about tights that weigh under 2 ounces. Sahalie is the brand mentioned but their website currently doesn't list men's tights. Any other ideas that would be 3 ounces or less for a size large?

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota
    Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

*Giggle*

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

ROFL

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

Recently my friend and I were packing our gear at the trailhead for a few nights in the weminuche. As I was extolling the virtues of the latest lightweight powerdry grid, my friend pulls out three boxes of striped halloween tights–white, orange, and pink. "They're ultralight, quick drying and only $2 a peice," he says. I just looked at him. "And they're synthetic," he added, having already been forced to leave behind his favorite cotton shirt. I couldn't argue with that, so we decided he should wear the pink b/c it was the most glam-rock and easily replaced an orange hunting vest.
    Tights are in

Tights are in.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Roger is going to be SO jealous.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

"I just looked at him. "And they're synthetic," he added" -LOL

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

This is a little off your question but I thought I'd throw it in anyway. I've tried wearing loose fitting pants with and without thin tights underneath. To me it feels cooler with the tights than without them.

I think the tights compress my leg hair and thereby reduce insulation and warmth around my legs.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hair. Nature's base layer.

If I could get some barber pole patterned tights I could wear them with my Cat in the Hat hat. Simply stunning.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

> To me it feels cooler with the ultralight tights than without them.

I have have also had the same experience. that ultralight tights + lose pants *felt* cooler than just the pants… but I also noticed that I started to overheat sooner. So I *think* perception is somehow thrown off and they are adding warmth.

I found the tights by themselves felt warmer than bare legs.

–Mark

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, I tend to think that has a lot to do with it too, Mark.

For many years I used silk long johs as a base layer while fishing in below zero temps (Steelhead bite pretty well in December, January and February following a salmon run.) Often, temps were 0F and below at first light. As part of a layering system, they really excell at low volume, high heat retention. After the silk wore out, I switched to modified pantihose. These worked pretty well, too.

Again, I really don't *think* they are any cooler, they just cause perspiration to accumulate outside of them. You think "cooler" when your skin is dry, whether it actually cooler or not…perception.

BTW: Here is what worked for me, silk, light weight nylon/poly(mid size), heavy weight wool(large size), synthetic quilted of some sort(large size), oversized pants… About a half inch or so when all was added together. Waders were also oversized, requiring a seperate set for winter water. Worked for up to 10 hours of wading and fishing. NO DOWN. The waders held every bit of sweat.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Silk is about the lightest, but not worth much when wet.

I have some from walmart, $3 on clearance, starter compression tights, 4 oz in medium.
    I have RAB meco 120 as well, maybe 4.5 oz on medium

Honestly, the UL tights dont provide much warmth at all. A 6oz pair of cheap duofold poly/wool provides an order of magnitude more.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

> Honestly, the UL tights dont provide much warmth at all.

I agree it's not a huge amount of warmth. What they did better that just about anything was breath and avoid chaffing.

–Mark

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools