Topic

Can a paying member send a gift membership for free?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Can a paying member send a gift membership for free?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    andrew mccarter

@atmccarter

Hello, all.

I found the link below and wanted to send a friend a gift membership. The page says that it would cost me, a paying member, $0.00; however, when I tried to "buy" it, my shopping cart said 22$ would be charged. I was logged into BPL at the time I tried to buy, so it knew I was a member. Am I doing something wrong?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/sf/Publications/Subscriptions/index.html

Thanks for any help.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Hi Andrew, from where did you click to get to that link? That's a very old and outdated page.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

nm

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'm not sure how Andrew did it, but it's quite doable.

Click Gift BPL from the main page.

Click Give A Gift Membership from that page.

Scroll down that page to Related Products.

You come to: View More Gear » Publications » Subscriptions

Click on Subscriptions

That brings you to this page:

.screen grab

andrew mccarter

@atmccarter

Douglas mapped the trail. Nice work. That's how I got there.

Sorry to hear that it was an old offer.

andrew mccarter

@atmccarter

If you're not going to honor the offer presented on your website, at least remove it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Don't be mad. Did you really think that you could give away memberships because you have one? When you click on view item details it let's you choose a gift of a lifetime membership $100, or a regular $25. I don't see a problem.

There is no free lunch.

Geez. Don't get your feelings hurt. Re read your first post. It is not a stretch to come to the conclusion I had.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Thanks for pointing this out. There was a bug on our display code that wasn't showing the price correctly when it was in the "list" but it didn't affect the price display on the actual product page, or when ordering. Should be fixed now. It was a bug, though, not a promotion that we've ever run.

andrew mccarter

@atmccarter

Wasn't looking for a free lunch, just responding to a promotion I saw on your website. Some sites do promotions to attract membership. I see that this site would rather insult its members. Lesson learned.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools