Topic

another 2013 PCT gear list – lots of experience, zero long distance hiking experience

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists another 2013 PCT gear list – lots of experience, zero long distance hiking experience

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Joe Guilmette

@loltron

i mean, an alcohol stove fill essentially the exact same use case. they boil water and nothing else – unless you bring a 10oz frying pan ;)

a jetboil is just easier to use, faster, heavier and more expensive.

and i think you're right, i'll probably mail myself my Hennessy Hammock with my Sierra snow gear and bounce the bivy/tarp tent up to the next resupply and see which i like better.

for training purposes i'm going to be attempting the AZ Trail early (if there is a low enough amount of snow) and test all of this out.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Joe –

I am very familiar with the Ursack – I own two. The status may change, but right now, you need an approved canister, and Ursack unfortunately hasn't had a chance to get any of their recent models approved by SEKI because the parks suspended testing. The subsequent legal case didn't go well for Ursack – the court basically upheld the decision,although providing other avenues for litigation. Until more testing can be done – problematic because of a lack of funding – Ursack is unfortunately in a bit of limbo. I like their product. There is reason for hope. The Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee is going to test Ursack products for grizzlies, but the spec for testing isn't done as far as I know. And SEKI doesn't have to necessarily accept the IGBC recommendations, should testing take place. I am as hopeful as anyone that Ursack get to the opportunity to have their recent products tested.

Honestly, you don't need a canister for large sections of the Siera but if the going is slow, it's going to be tough to make the bear boxes in the sections that you must. I would just be wary of taking advice from any one source, including me. The time you get into the Sierra and the weather can vary quite a bit. I didn't need an ice axe, for example, because it was an average snow year. But some do in bigger years, as attested by a friend who self-arrested. Self-arrests are pretty tough thins to accomplish – I've read of a success rate of 50 percent. The best advice I got was "don't fall."

Have fun out there – don't sweat equipment too much.

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Use a canister where required. In the few areas that they are required, the existing food storage lockers aren't an allowed option.

Last summer three different rangers checked my permit and canister. I asked one ranger why the food storage lockers existed in the backcountry if a canister was required. He said they were placed years ago in an early effort to manage bears. As canister technology improved, and backcountry users began to accept the benefits of canisters, the food lockers became obsolete. He said the backcountry lockers will eventually be removed, starting with a test program at Kearsage Lakes.

A notice on the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park web page seems to 'bear' this out:

ATTENTION: AT KEARSARGE LAKES, CANISTERS ARE REQUIRED. NO FOOD-STORAGE LOCKERS AVAILABLE FOR 2012 SEASON UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

David Wills

@willspower3

Concerning your food, I have written my opinions on long distance nutrition at length here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/wanderingwills/long-distance-eating

Its not a beautiful site and no pictures are up for food yet, but most of the information is there. Feel free to browse the other bits too, even though its a work in progress.

Nick G

@hermesul

David's site is excellent regarding food–I've just started reading it but the information looks sound. I'd also look at this site:
    http://www.adventurealan.com/food_general.htm

In my opinion, Michael W is way off the mark in recommending 1.5 lbs of food per day–that may be great for trips of up to a week in length, but you'll find your nutrition, caloric needs, and sanity in severe deficit over several months like that.

A day of backpacking can easily require 4000-5000 calories. To get 5000 calories on 1.5 lbs of food, you would theoretically need 210 calories per ounce. In order to achieve this, you'd need to find a way to chemically enhance butter so that it has more calories for the weight (butter is 203 calories per ounce).

Stay healthy! Pack dried veggies, even though they will cost you in terms of calories per ounce. Bring lots of food to start, and then scale back if you find you're not eating it and still feeling healthy.

I gained 5 pounds of much needed weight on the Long Trail, and I must say it is very easy to see the difference between hikers who are eating enough and those who are growing weaker and weaker as the days pass. Enough food is the difference between getting stronger as the days go by and having to bail three weeks into the trip because you are too weak to walk.

I'm planning 2.3 lbs/day of food for my AT thru hike next summer, at 130 calories per ounce. That'll put me at about 4800 calories per day, which will likely be enough. Who knows?

David Wills

@willspower3

Thanks Nick. I think there are so many resources for which sleeping bag to pick, but so few for what to eat on a thru hike, I was hoping to contribute my failures and successes with food during my long distance hiking experiences. Physical and mental performance, mood, and general enjoyment all benefit from a well nourished belly.

Concerning a bear can, ice ax, and microspikes, I can strongly recommend bringing all 3. 2011 was particularly snowy, so the snow stuff was needed for a long stretch. I sent my ax and spikes home too early and had many close calls due to my desire to shed some pounds. Ice axes first role is to give a stable hand hold for snowy traverses. 3 points of contact, etc. Poles are nowhere near as stable. The bear can is an obligation any responsible hiker and steward of the trail should take into the Sierras. I had an Ursack as well and carried both through the Sierras. The list of reasons to carry a bear can where legally required far outweigh the benefit of saving 2.6 pounds off your back. You don't even need to carry it for very long. The Ursack did allow to be carefree elsewhere on the trail and I never once worried about my food or had to throw bear line. A great piece of kit.

For a groundsheet, tyvek or polycryo would do just fine and save significant weight over the mylar blanket. Wet ground is rarely an issue on the PCT. Silnylon will do just fine for waterproofing, but protecting your floor and pad is where a groundsheet is necessary. I liked tyvek for its weight vs. robustness compared to polycryo, which is just shrink wrap.

Having weathered a few SoCal rainstorms on my hike, always having a raincoat may not be a bad idea even though its the desert. It still gets cold as well. No raincoat will perform as advertised, so just keep it in the 7-10 ounce range.

A windshirt is nice if hiking in a polyester or wool shirt, but for tops i would advise your hiking shirt to be one of those SPF 50 nylon shirts:. It's ideal for sun, bugs, cold, heat(buttons) and durability (light wool shreds under a pack quickly). Bring a 150 weight wool thermal to wear under when its cold and the nylon shirt will act like a wind shirt. the montbell down and rain jacket make for 4 light layers on top.

Trekking poles are great, especially in the slippery snow and river crossings. I still fell many dozens of times, but poles help.

A nice shelter isn't hard to find. Lightheart, Tarptent, SMD, Zpacks, MLD, and others all have great options under 2 pounds. A lot of PCT hikers only used their shelter a dozen times. I used mine almost every night, but mostly in bug net mode.

Gaiters are great for dust, which keeps your feet and socks in better shape. Dirty girls or levagaiters are good. For the snow and river crossings you can't do much, but sealskinz keep at least a base level of warmth no matter what. Several times I tried to push through with just my Darn toughs and had to stop and change into Sealskinz just out of pain. They aren't comfortable, but were a huge benefit in the 2011 snow pack.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools