Topic

Surrounded by coyotes need help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Surrounded by coyotes need help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

Locale: Austin, TX

You didn't mean coyotes as in, Coyotes, the gruff looking individuals who move human and narcotics cargo across the border between Mexico and the United States, did you?! Because hey, I've seen some of those guys and if they'd been drinking and getting noisy they'd probably take offense to you totally harshing their life of crime mellow.

;-D

David Affleck

@utcoyote

>>One thing I have learned is that when you hear them howling, yipping and otherwise conversing; a few of them sound like a lot of them. Three or four coyotes discussing some issue from three different directions can sound as though there are 25-30 of them really close; they really have a song repertoire.<<

This. I've observed, filmed and sound recorded numerous groups of coyotes doing the group-yip-howl. And been in the field with many other people when hearing a GYH. Almost everyone, even moderately experienced people routinely overestimate by orders of magnitude the number of coyotes they hear participating in a group-yip-howl. It is usually only two or three, but almost everyone thinks it is ten or more. It's likely the OP didn't have any more than three individuals near him.

– Dave

Harald Hope
    BPL Member

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

Alexander Eriksson, I had the same thoughts exactly, I had to read the thread for a while to convince myself that someone was actually chatting on an iphone for real. Best argument against bringing such devices into nature I've seen to date though.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the OP was camped in their sleeping area, and that they were annoyed. Then, no matter how strongly they urged him to alter his behavior, he kept it up, ignoring their, to them, polite requests to move on and find somewhere else to sleep. I'm sure the area was marked clearly, at least clearly to animals aware of their surroundings, which may have made the OPs behavior even less comprehensible to the Coyotes. I think I'll read that coyote book though, sounds like an interesting world.

I have a few other guesses, probably closer to the truth, but I'll keep those to myself since they aren't really in keeping with bpl ideas or biases. Something about our connection/disconnection from nature on deeper levels, and how that impacts our experiences.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Dave (UtCoyote)…I'm surprised no one has asked, and my curiosity has the better of me. What is it that you do to be weighing, filming, and recording coyotes?

Slo Hiker
    BPL Member

@slohiker

Locale: NC Foothills

Just one example I could show to illustrate why you should have a "Plan B" for fending off coyotes with your trekking poles. Contrary to the Bambi paradigm, deer are very capable of inflicting serious injuries when threatened – much more capable than you will be with a flimsy piece of lightweight metal tubing.

YouTube video

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools