Topic

Surrounded by coyotes need help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Surrounded by coyotes need help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

On a whim at about 6 I decided to do a quick run/ hike right by my house. Basically I drove about 5 minutes to a dead end and hiked about 2-3 miles before the sun went down at 7:40.

I can see the city lights and freeway under my tarp, I am posting this from my iPhone. I am glad I decided to stop ontop of this large hill, because I can hear coyotes just below the hill in the dried stream I crossed to get up here.

On my way here I saw one hide behind a tree and I just kept walking. Basically every 5-10 minutes they start howling and barking. There are what sounds like more in 2 different direction further away that communicate with each other.

They started making noise as soon as the sun went down, and I'm not sure if they are getting closer. This is really annoying. What is my plan? I already blew a whistle and yelled but I don't like being alone…

michael levi

@m-l

I can hear about 4-5+ right below me starting to get worried, it was nice knowing you guys….

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Can you start a fire, sometimes this will keep them at bay. I hiked before were I've heard coyotes in the distance, but they've never bothered me at night. I think a fire would help tough.

Jack

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Coyotes are like dogs so if they do attack fight. Kick then in the face and use your treking poles to keep them at a distance. Likely their issue is more territorial than thinking yyou as prey.

Dont run from them as then you become prey. Being able to post here while backpacking is a great reason to leave the phone at home

Thayne N
    BPL Member

@teethless

Locale: Four Corners

If you're like the average BPL'er get out that SAK classic and get ready to go to war!

Find a stick, it will give you piece of mind while the coyote's go do their thing elsewhere.

Chad Anderson

@kiddzoso

Locale: N. California

Coyotes typically make a ton of noise around sundown. I've had them come close to my tent on numerous occasions and make an awful racket. However, they've never done anything. I think it's fairly typical for them to be reasonably close to your campsite, but attacks are extremely rare.

Corbin McFarlane
    BPL Member

@raven15

You'll almost certainly be OK, just walk and don't act afraid. In a place like Utah people probably shoot them all the time, so they should keep their distance and mostly out of sight. Their behavior is not about you. But, if they get close, throw rocks and things.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Grab your stick (see previous poster), and walk slowly back to the car. SLOWLY! Turn occasionally to keep an eye on them, don't let them sneak up behind you. Turn your headlamp/flashlight on and use it. If they attack, attack back! Whack 'em bloody with the stick and your SAK Classic!

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I'd think you would be contacting someone other than gear geeks in the vortex if you were in some serious trouble. Liam Neeson would know what to do… do you have some sharp sticks and some spare shot gun shells?

michael levi

@m-l

I have a little 2 inch fixed blade and a headlamp and whistle on my pack. I have one stick but its holding my tarp up not sure if I should use that. I'm laying down in my bag because its cold… Not sure if I should get out now.

michael levi

@m-l

I'm not sure if ibshod leave or wait it out. I researched it online and I read they hunt at night so idk.

Tom
    BPL Member

@thomasp

i went through this last week. keep your trekking poles handy and if they get too close a rock can do the trick. i ended up making a five hour trek at midnight to the nearest highway and eventually hitched a ride back to the city. the ride turned out to be scarier then the coyotes. one of those out of the pan into the fire scenarios. that night the coyotes were coming right up to my tent but that had never happened before and more than likely won't happen again. hopefully they will move on in a bit. how are you holding up?

if you decide to leave walk calmly. do not run.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Move into the city. The rest of the world we share with all its other creatures.
    In the meantime, if they come anywhere in the vicinity of your home, never keep a pet chained outside where they can get at it. I wouldn't let pets run free either, but at least that way, they have a chance.

michael levi

@m-l

Leave or stay? It's a good 2 miles back into a neighborhood wtd

Chad Anderson

@kiddzoso

Locale: N. California

Were you planning on spending the night? I wouldn't change my plans because the Coyotes are hanging around. They're just doing what Coyotes do. They can be a real pain for sleeping, but typically they don't keep it up the whole night. Around here, I've found that they usually make the most noise earlier in the night and then again before sunrise.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Strap raw meat to your body, coyotes hate the smell of death.

Unfortunately this will immediately attract the attention of any Lady Gagas within a 100 mile radius, and those WILL attack you with debilitating howls, fangs, and claws first chance they get.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

I can't imagine coyotes hanging around if you tagged one with a good sized rock. Just act aggressive, pretend you're a drunk frat boy at a party. Raaawwwwr!

michael levi

@m-l

Yeah I was planning on spending the night but I'm not sure ill get much sleep. They might be walking around me I hear 1 or 2 in a slightly diff spot

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

You should drink all your whisky in one huge chug, and then get out of your tarp, say, "I'm sick of these motherf$%ckin coyotes on this motherf^%ckin' hill." and unleash a 20 minute long obscenity-laden tirade at the coyotes, hurling rocks and sticks the whole time. Then, exhausted, go to sleep. They'll realize you're not fit for eating.

But really, coyotes aren't normally a bother.They yap, sound demented, but prefer to eat rabbits and bugs.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Try to look at it differently. The rest of us are bored at home and you get to hang out with nocturnal predators in the woods. I'm jealous.

Corbin McFarlane
    BPL Member

@raven15

If you have a leather belt or similar you can fold it in half the long way, then push it so the center forms a misshaped circle while keeping a grip on each of the ends (one hand at the two ends and one at the former center). Then pull the "new" ends violently, so that the center of the circle comes violently together, in a decent imitation of a .22 shot. Might work.

But I reckon you'll be OK.

Actually I think Charles P has the best solution.

michael levi

@m-l

It's pretty windy 5-10 with gusts not sure if I should try for a fire, I'm in a really exposed grassy area basically. And fires are banned here.

Bud Chapman
    BPL Member

@budman5

Locale: Alaska

You go to the woods to experience nature…so enjoy this, it won't happen again..

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I hope you're asleep by now but if not don't worry about it. Coyotes have never bothered a sleeping camper to my knowledge (yes I have read about coyote attacks, basically they involve toddlers in the daytime that look like prey you don't fit the bill). Its just part of the woods, don't worry about it (but maybe bring ear plugs next time.

michael levi

@m-l

Leaning towards staying, if I leave I will be walking right past them basicAlly. Phone at %16

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools