Topic

idea: quilt / sleeping bag hybrid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) idea: quilt / sleeping bag hybrid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

James,

I followed the link that you provided to Sectionhiker and liked what I saw.

The pictures at Sectionhiker mimic the exact way in which I use and "don" my top quilt.

I have an older +20* traditional mummy bag that suffers a little bit from being a little "overweight". It might be a great candidate for this modification. My quilt lacks a hood which requires me to wear some sort of insulation on my head at night. If I modify my old bag I could lose some unnecessary bag weight and gain a hood for those cold nights. Hmmmmmm. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

John. Whatever you do make sure it is machine washable.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I like to zip my down bag open and use it like a quilt most of the time. Having sections without down eliminates that possibility. Fr that reason I prefer to have a fairly snugly cut bag that zips most of the way open and has down on all sides.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I have never needed a zipper. When it's warm I start with either no sleeping bag or the bag draped over me (mostly over torso). As I cool down, I eventually get in the bag and have never overheated that way, but then I would not call myself a "warm" sleeper at my 160 lb weight.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Lynn, I agree…I jumped the gun in the comparison. I'll bet the thermarest won't be the quality of the POD 30, but may have better straps as you mentioned earlier.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Ken,

For sure! L O L

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools