Topic

Who would you invite?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

So it is planning time for the Bay Area G.G.G. I am sending invites to cottage manufactures in hopes of their attendance. Last year we had Trail Designs, Gossamer Gear, and Mountaingoat Hats and Goods in attendance.
    If you were sending invites who would you want to come?

So far I was thinking about these companies…
    Trail Designs
    Gossamer Gear
    Six Moon Designs
    Tarptent
    MLD
    Mountaingoat

It is in the Bay Area. I realize travel is expensive. So who else is close by that I should ask?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Anchor Brewing

…jus sayin

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

zPacks. Zimmerbuilt. TrailLite Designs (and ask him to bring some stuff from Area 51!).

TrailLite Designs is the only one somewhat close by, but Zimmerbuilt and zPacks are no further away than MLD.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

What about some younger bizzes? They may be enthusiastic at the opportunity to show off new offerings and pick up a little extra exposure. We have a few BPL-frequenting gear sellers including, John West/Borah Bivy, Tim Marshall from Enlightened Equipment, Lawson Kline/Mountain fitter,and Jhaura from Litetrail. I know there are more but this comes to mind at the moment.

I also think some UL/SUL bloggers like John Abela or Stick could help provide coverage in a write up after the GGG. I know it would obviously be the preachers and the choir so no new exposure, but faces and names are always a pleasure to put together, and I would be more likely to subscribe to a blog or YouTube channel after meeting someone. In person.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Where is John West/Borah located?

Tim and Lawson are across the continent

Jhaura is in So-Cal

I tried to get John to come last time. Maybe this time.

Chad would love to come, but is not able.

Article in the works.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I believe John West/Borahgear.com is located in Idaho.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

True. But these guys can write the whole trip off as a business expense. I would think a good opportunity to demo and sell products too. That said, I did leave out Stephen at Suluk thinking Canada may be pushing it a little. Wood-Gaz / Zelph stoves also come to mind. No idea where they are though.

Nick G

@hermesul

Doesn't hurt to invite somebody just because it's unlikely that they'll be able to come. Invite a bunch of people regardless of distance and see what happens–you never know whether somebody has a grandmother nearby who needs visiting.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

True.

I need to get busy then.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

unlikely due to distance and she just took her vacation but Judy from Lightheart Gear.

a b

@ice-axe

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Ti goat and rutalocura are both in Utah I believe

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

"Seriously, those southern folks are so much kinder than us here in the west.. i am ashamed to ask them to come for fear of what those gentle, kind folks will think of us."

Truth

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

invite them all, let them make the call as to weather its to expensive or to far

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"Seriously, those southern folks are so much kinder than us here in the west.. i am ashamed to ask them to come for fear of what those gentle, kind folks will think of us."

Well I grew up in NJ and FL and have not found that to be true at all I'm sorry to say. Also summered in VA, and upstate NY. Lived in CO, and WA. too. Jerks and good people are everywhere. No one part of the country has the market on kindness covered.

Anyway, just the nice people get invites, no matter where they are from.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Florida doesn't count as the south. Too many out of Towners. My experience is TX TN SC NM vs dc ny pa and ca.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Quilt Makers: Katabatic, Jacks R Better, Tim Marshall, and others…..

Any of the wood burning stove manufactures: Bushbuddy (unlikely to show up), Robert Kelly of QiWiz Stoves.

Joe from Zpacks

People from Bearikade?

Oakland Raider's Cheerleaders…..

Not sure if any of these people are close by, but it is worth inviting them and they can decide if it is worth it to come out.

-Tony

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

I'd invite everybody though. even the rude ones :)

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Obviously a little big to be considered "cottage industry" but Western Mountaineering is in San Jose.

David Ure

@familyguy

I just love these new avatar names.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Yvon Chouinard.

David Ure

@familyguy

Fred Becky

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

Absolutely Yvon Chouinard. If you have Netflix and haven't seen 180 degrees south, you're truly missing out. What an inspiration.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Cottage manufacturers please. You're not helping.

David Ure

@familyguy

Okay – but really, Fred could use a meal…

Becky

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools