Topic

Suggestion on removing our actual names from display

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Suggestion on removing our actual names from display

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Confused Newbie
    Spectator

@confused

Locale: Northern CO

Hi, although I trust the BL-ers, I don't like that google is picking up my name and my posts when I search on my name. I'd like to keep any of my forum posts separate from my professional on-line identity. It's not that I have anything to hide, but I would rather not let my professional colleagues know, say, that I got stomach flu will backpacking somewhere.

I imagine many folks would feel that way, so I would make the friendly suggestion that you either block google from picking up our posts (I *think* this can be done…) or not display our full names by default.

Thanks!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Are you saying you called in sick, but then went backpacking? : )

I don't see your real name anywhere – unless it's "bobb bobb" or "confused"

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

You can go to "My Account" and leave off your last name. That's what I did. Or you can substitute your username. I don't like having my real name on display here, either!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

How to change your forum display name:

Your forum display name is the primary name associated with your account. To change your forum display name, hover over the My BPL menu (upper right) and navigate to My Account > Change My Billing and Shipping Address. Then, change the First and Last Names under your Primary Address.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

he he…I'm not really Raquel Rascal…that's just my alternate ego. :) Feels good to be a rascal.

Confused Newbie
    Spectator

@confused

Locale: Northern CO

Yeah, I changed my name, and it got reposted as bobb bobb. I think I was unclear in my suggestion. I meant to say that not displaying the user's name would be a good default option, rather than forcing one to change their name after the fact. It is not clear when you sign up for the site that the name you put on your mailing address will be displayed. Have a great weekend everyone.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I see your point bobb bobb

They should say that your name is displayed when you post when you first register

Then people would know not to put their real name

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Derek Schutt, great idea!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Note that if you're an annual member, you'll need to put your real name back under "Billing" at renewal time for the payment to go through. I don't believe that this affects the name on the forums, though. It was more of an issue when the late lamented BPL store was going–you had to put everything back on both "Billing" and "Shipping" when you placed an order, which meant your real name would sit on the forums for several days.

Actually, you can run but you can't hide. Googling my real name just came up with my town, age, several relatives, several places I've lived before. For 95 cents (sale price!) I could have bought my name, complete address and phone number. For $30 I could get all sorts of info about myself including property records, list of relatives and neighbors and criminal record (haven't even gotten a traffic ticket since 1972). Plus my address and the valuation of my home are there for free. There just ain't no privacy any more!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Times they are a'changing.

Most everyone under 60 already has a large on-line persona.

Everyone under 40 does.

To paraphrase Andy Warhol, "In the future, everyone will be naked on-line for 15 minutes."

There will come a time when NOT having an on-line presence looks worse than having one.

Don't be ashamed to be a backpacker. If someone googles you prior to a date, loan or interview – isn't posting on a backpacking forum about as respectable an activity as can be googled about you?!? Imagine yourself as the inquistive prospective date, bank officer, or future boss – isn't BPL more upstanding than what many people do on-line?!?

My real name,
    David Thomas

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Nicely put David.

I think that using your real name, even just your first name and initial adds accountability and integrity to posts. The forum terms of use say it best:

"If you choose to participate in our community forums, your first and last names will be associated with your post. We discourage anonymity and encourage integrity in your communications so that your identity fairly reflects your reputation for appropriate communications"

Lance Marshall

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I changed my name months ago in honor of Bump Larson's evaporating threads.

"this one's for Bumps"

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Integrity. That's exactly the word I was thinking of before.

I once admired this forum when I found out about that policy. I was a member at that time. Unfortunately that policy was not enforced.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Imagine yourself as the inquistive prospective date, … – isn't BPL more upstanding than what many people do on-line?!?"

Not if you post the stuff I do……

Ummmmm, my real name, David Thomas, but I go by the pseudonym Douglas Ide. No, really!

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I understand the OP but at the same time I think online anonymity tends to contribute to unkind and rude posts. You rarely see people post horrible things using their real names, but let them use an alt and all of a sudden they will say things that they would never say in real life to someone's face. I see it everywhere- on forums, on the comments sections at CNN or Yahoo, etc. Anywhere that people are allowed to be anonymous. I like how so many people here use their real names and photos.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

The vile truly despicable things are often done under anonymous usernames. I've used the same username for the last 15 years. It's easy to get my real name from it. I do flame people, sometimes quite hard, but I try not to say anything I won't truly stand behind, sarcasm/joking aside.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools