Topic

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Since this thread was affected by the spam attack making it impossible for some to post I have made a duplicate thread here.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=70743&skip_to_post=603613#603613

So please post over there.

To the BPL family.

Please welcome in 2013 by attending the 5th annual GGG. January 25-27th at Henry W. Coe State Park in Morgan Hill, CA.
    It is a short hike or ride into camp. Right around 3.5 miles. There will be some organized events again this year along with some special presentations.

Once again we welcome cottage manufacturers to attend and meet their passionate customers.

Looking for ideas and activities for what promises to be the biggest and by far the best GGG yet.

We will have a courtesy tent with a schedule of events and other pertinent information posted. Like a GGG HQ.

Weather permitting we will have support vehicles like last year. This allows us to haul in firewood, water, supplies to camp.

We'll make it happen no matter the weather.

If you have a demonstration, exhibition, new skill or gear that you would like to share, this would be the time to do it.

As always your financial support to cover costs is greatly appreciated/needed. kenthompson2(at)mac.com is my Paypal address.

The park charges $75 per night, per group site. I am thinking of getting three spots so we can have two of the new bathrooms.

This would give us room for a hundred. I stopped counting at 65 last year.

For those of you unfamiliar with the GGG concept take a look at reports from years past. All you repeat offenders might enjoy looking at them again too.

Year 1 http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18317

Year 2 http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28191

Year 3 http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=43671

Year 4 http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=59898

If you are thinking about the car camping spots by the park HQ, say for Thurs. night they are $20 a night, one vehicle.

Questions? Ask away…

Let's keep track of who is coming.

Richard Gless
    Frank Heide
    Chris Steutterman +1
    Rick Horne +1
    Sharon Jue
    Jack Elliot +1
    Jeremy Pendrey +1
    Jane Baack
    EJ +1
    Jay Wilkerson
    Marc Eldridge
    Tony Wong
    Dave Lutz

Amy L. and Jim will be there too giving a talk about the birds of Coe.

More cottage manufacturers

Hikin Jim will be back with more pyrotechnics

Andrew, Gaia app developer will be there to do a demo

Gonna be a good one!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Edit: I will be car camping at the HQ campground on Thurs. night if anyone is interested.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Please count me in and I will be able to contribute money to help with your cost of setting things up….supplies you purchased to make things run smoothly.

Once you have setup the paypal account, I can send money over.

Question for those attending: Do we want name tags?

I have bought out name tag stickers for the past few years, but last time a small percentage of people used them.

No point in bringing them and spending money on them if they won't be used.

-Tony

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Tony,

Thanks for bringing up that question. I vote for having name tags. It makes it somehow way easier for many people to start conversations.

Manfred

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Thanks for bringing up that question. I vote for having name tags. It makes it somehow makes it way easier for many people to start conversations."

I vote for no name tags. Too many people looking for me……

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Doug,

Only if you are coming to the GGG! I'd be curious to meet the more active/famous Doug around here. My only (small) claim to fame is my last name is the same as Henry Coe's.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

We'll just look for the guy with no name tag, ha ha!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Name tags are a must have. I'm terrible with names.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Sort of on topic. I hope I'm not breaking some BPL rule posting this (*I don't work for SWA).

Southwest Airlines is offering a 40% off promo right now on "Wanna Get Away" fares. The catch is you have to purchase the tickets before Oct. 12. and the fares are only good for flights on the following dates: Nov. 28 through Dec. 12, 2012, and Jan. 7 through Feb. 14, 2013.

Obviously this is good for GGG'ers flying in from out of town as the GGG 5.0 date makes the cutoff.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Wouldn't you know it, OR is the same weekend.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I've got it on my schedule. I'm looking forward to the gathering again this year.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Ken, I'll be there (barring major conflicts).

Are you thinking about moving the date due to OR?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"Are you thinking about moving the date due to OR?"

I have to admit I am a bit conflicted. A week earlier perhaps?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What's OR?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Outdoor Retailer.

Keep up.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

It's far enough out on the calendar that it doesn't make a difference to me. Is there a concern of not getting some of the cottage manufacturers to attend if OR is taking place at the same time?

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Can't wait. Should be super fun. I'll bring the circus tent again.tent with stove

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

There will be three of us….including my 9 yr old daughter- the evil little monkey. :)

If it rains, then it will only be me…but hey, I got them to agree to come to see all of you miscreants!

-Tony

Mike Urban
    Spectator

@murban

Locale: Northern CA, East Bay

Sounds like fun to me. Count me in as a first timer.
    -Mike

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

We are going to keep the date set as is. I have heard that some vendors will attend OR for two days then come down and play with us for the weekend. Best of both.

With the posting issues here I ask everyone to feel free to PM me with any questions or comments. I don't want anyone to feel left out as all are welcome.

Here's to a great 5.0!

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

Question for you: I've never been to Henry Coe. How cold is it likely to get?

I'd like to attend but I'm afraid I don't have adequate cold weather gear. I'd go buy some but right now money is very tight so I probably have to make do with what I have, or opt to stay home if what I have is not sufficient.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Rowan,

What typre of cold gear do you need? I have extra stuff, maybe not the lightest in my gear closet, but it's your's to borrow if you need it.

Ken I'm in, I'll send the funds on my next pay check.

Rowan pm me with any questions.

Jack

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

According to Weather.com for January in Henry Coe State Park:
    http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/CASPHENWCO:13

38° F Average Low
    18° F Record Low

61° F Average High
    78° F Record High

4.38 inches Average Precipitation
    January is the average wettest month

Note: I've watched hail fall and accumulate in March in Coe Park, so be prepared for wild, or beautiful weather.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

This is one reason for the change back to January. Seems like we get a break from the weather and cold that settles in for the month of February. We had below freezing one year so far. So if you are good to 32 you should be fine. There will be a large campfire. And there is always an abundance of gear.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

@Jack
    . Thanks.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Ken,
    Thank you for organizing this fun event yet again. It'll be my second year, and this time I'm going to take a much closer look at everyone's shelter since I'm looking to buy a decent one finally!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools