Topic

decent refilllable lighter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) decent refilllable lighter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Is there a good durable, reliable, refillable lighter for a decent price? Not a zippo. Thanks.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Zippo does do butane now FWIW

http://www.zippo.com/lighters.aspx?id=1227

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I have one of those original zippo blus and it's a piece of junk. Very fiddly and not something I would rely on outside of civilization. Maybe they improved with the second generation, but mine seems to require the purest of pure butane and only then will it occasionally work with any modicum of consistency.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

That's too bad. :(

I gave up on finding a refillable for myself years ago. I found that the element in the windproof refillable ones burned out in relatively short order. Dunhill ones leaked. None did well when wet.

Still have the butane fuel bottles to store/dispose of.

A Bic could be more recycle friendly if handled properly.

I do use a fire steel(trendy I know, but really I have been using them for a long time)to light my stove.

A Bic, while not a perfect solution works. It works at altitude better than any refillable I have ever come across. Most won't work above 7500 feet has been my experience.

Matches, especially wooden ones are not as good as they once were. Those UCO Storm matches are overkill for most usage.

So I see Brett's dilemma

Hope you find a solution you can live with. Not easy some times.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Thanks. I use a firesteel also and mainly carry a Bic as a backup or to light alcohol stoves when I can't get the spark to hit correctly. One Bic will probably last me years and years but I tought it would be best to possibly work out a better solution.

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Behold, the titanium peanut lighter:

http://www.countycomm.com/tipeanutlighter.html

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> A Bic, while not a perfect solution works. It works at altitude better than any refillable
    > I have ever come across. Most won't work above 7500 feet has been my experience.
    My Bic seems to work first time and reliably anywhere up to 3,000 m. I keep it warm and dry.

Cheers

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I would be carefull about storing the Bic lighters. I have found that dampness in the air can cause the spring on the flint to rust…no spark. I left a couple in my shop, in a drawer for a year and they were dead because they would NOT spark.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Have had same problem with Bic, but most don't seem to mention it. I moved to Cricket lighters.

Jonathan Rozes

@jrozes

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

I've used the same Windmill for about 20 years now. It's "decent" as you say, definitely not perfect. They go for about $25 new.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Calibri makes some great refillable lighters. But for backpacking I have been using Bics for decades and never had on fail.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A Master Microtorch MT-5 is probably overkill– about 1.8oz with fuel, but the visible flame is 1.5" tall and you can lock it on. It is fully adjustable too. I use one in my shop and hike with a Bic, firesteel and matches.

Master Microtorch MT-5

The Windmill and similar windproof lighters have an element that stays hot and keeps them going. They are nice, but you could pack a couple Bic's and still save weight and no doubt a lot of money. Bic is making a piezoelectric model that I tried and found it took a lot of thumb pressure to keep it going. Cricket has made tall thin piezoelectric lighters that I like and was surprised they haven't been more in favor in UL circles. The longer body is much easier to grip and I think the small weight difference is negligible in a tool that is used so often.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools