Topic

SuperUltralight Temperature Indicators for Outdoor and Body Temperature/Fever Indication

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals SuperUltralight Temperature Indicators for Outdoor and Body Temperature/Fever Indication

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Check the weather and check if you have a fever!

These are probably the lightest temperature indicators on the planet. Less than 0.09oz for all 4 indicators! The package includes 3 outdoor temperature indicators and a reusable personal body temp/fever indicator (hold it against your forehead for 2 mins to check your temperature). All 4 pieces together weight in at a mere 2.4450g! I also offer a vinyl storage case to contain them all that weighs 5.3741g.

The advantages of these indicators are:
    – Don't need batteries
    – Are flexible and nearly indestructible
    – Super ultralight-weight (virtually nonexistent weight!)
    – Compact
    – Take only the indicators you will need (depending on the season)
    – Vinyl case doubles as a side-by-side holder for all three outdoor temp indicators
    – Easily mounts to trekking poles or any other surface
    – Temp readings with a simple glance while hiking or in your trekking pole supported tarp or tarptent
    – Inexpensive

The only fault of these temperature indicators is that they should be kept indoors and out of light when not in use to prevent degradation of the liquid crystal used in them. Extremes in temperature, humidity and sun exposure does degrade the liquid crystal and tends to lower their reaction points (aka – make them read temps as being higher). I usually replace mine every year and use the old ones for less vital temp monitoring (i.e. – Tape it to your workbench in the garage or somewhere in the basement, etc.) If mounting them to trekking poles, I'd recommend replacing them after a months time of sun and element exposure, as they will receive more sun and element exposure than if kept in your pack or tent/shelter out of the sun.

=====================================================================
    Specs:
    Outdoor Temp Indicators-
       Self Adhesive Backing
       Size: 5" x 0.75"

Strip 1: 26-56°F/-3-12°C
         Strip 2: 58-88°F/14-31°C
         Strip 3: 90-120°F/32-49°C

*NOTE*
    I am now offering the additional 7-level lower temp indicator for those that wish to read temps below 26F. This 7-level indicator has °F readouts for 32 to -22°F. (See third image below) Size: 0.5" x 1.77"

Forehead Temp/Fever Indicator-
       Size: 3" x 5/8"
         95-104°F/35-40°C

Weights:
    7.7277g (0.272587oz) – All 4 Indicators w/ Vinyl Case
    2.4450g (0.086244oz) – All 4 Indicators w/o Vinyl Case
    0.7088g (0.025002oz) – Each Outdoor Temperature Indicator
    0.2967g (0.010465oz) – The Forehead Body Temperature/Fever Indicator
    5.3741g (0.189566oz) – Vinyl Storage Case

*Additional Colder Temps 7-Level Indicator Weight*
    0.2371g (0.008363oz) – 7-Level Indicator

$5.50 shipped for just the 4 indicators
    ($6.15 w/ Additional 7-Level Indicator)
    – OR –
    $6.00 shipped for the 4 indicators and vinyl storage case
    ($6.65 w/ Additional 7-Level Indicator)

$0.50 Discount on prices for additional sets

Email me at feathertrekgear (at) gmail (dot) com if interested. Payment accepted via Paypal.

KJ

Temp Indicators

Temp Indicators - Thickness

Additional Lower Temp 7-Level Strip:
    Lower Temps

Packaging

Holder

Whole Package

Indicators Only

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I have a liquid crystal strip like that which is inside a desk-type thermometer. Yes, it worked pretty good for years. Once it got really old, the accuracy was off.

If you mount it firmly onto a metal object like a heat sink, it works better. But then, metal heat sinks tend to weigh something significant.

–B.G.–

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Bob

Shouldn't need to mount these to anything specific to get an accurate reading as there is no real substantial material around the liquid crystal to act as a buffer. The vinyl case doubles as a side-by-side holder for all 3 outdoor indicators and allows you to take a temp reading without touching the indicator and possibly altering the reading.

Additionally, with their adhesive backing…these can easily be mounted to a trekking pole for temps in a glance. Works great if you have a tarp or tarptent in which you use your poles to support it and they are visible while in the shelter!

Holder

KJ

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Okay, I think this is cool.

Plus, you just *know* it's totally UL when the weights give go down to the ten-thousand of a gram! Would these still work if I trimmed them a little narrower?

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Definitely can be trimmed and still work! Easily done with scissors or a razor blade.

HTH

KJ

Nick G

@hermesul

It goes up to 120 but doesn't go below 26?

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Correct, unfortunately that is a limitation I have because that is all that is produced by the manufacturer.

I am currently in communication with the manufacturer about producing an indicator for the next 16 levels lower, but fear it will drastically increase the price of the kit to have them made. I want to keep the price as low as possible.

Edit: The additional custom 16-level indicator would require more than a $3,000 investment on my part, so I am not proceeding with production of this strip. Instead, I am offering the additional lower temp 7-level indicator for $0.65.

I live near Chicago. :O)

If you wanted to read lower temps, I can offer another additional smaller 7-level indicator for an small additional cost. It's range is 32°F through -22°F (see image below). The size is 0.5" x 1.77" and is also self-adhesive.

With this indicator one can make a best "exact temp" guesstimate by looking at the color variation. Green is the exact temp and blues are slightly lower, greeny gold slightly higher. i.e. – if the 32°F box is greeny gold and the 23°F box is blue, you can guesstimate the temp somewhere in between that range. This can be estimated more easily with use as you take note of the color variation through temperature transitions.

Lower Temps

HTH

KJ

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It's for a first aid kit, not outdoor ambient temperatures right?

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

John

The one labeled "FeverScan" is for a medical kit to check your body temp, the other three are for measuring outdoor ambient temperature.

HTH

KJ

Dave Ploessel
    Spectator

@mailesdad

these are aquarium temp gauge stickers. you can buy them for about 50 cents.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Dave

Same technology, different range… and the forehead thermometer…not sure how you'd pull that one off with an aquarium thermometer. If you can find an aquarium thermometer with the range of temps these cover, and an aquarium thermometer that measures properly when placed on the forehead, by all means go for it. This isn't a get rich quick scheme I have planned to rip people off. If you can find the same cheaper, please post it here and I will stop wasting my time trying to do something for the benefit of others.

KJ

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> these are aquarium temp gauge stickers. you can buy them for about 50 cents.
    Just what do you keep in an aquarium where the temperature can go down to below freezing?
    I have heard of New Yorkers keeping pet alligators: are pet orcas now in fashion?

Cheers

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Dave
    $5.50 shipped a Rip Off ?
    How about you offer the same kit for less?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I'll try them, PM sent.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Gary

PM sent back!

KJ

Dave Ploessel
    Spectator

@mailesdad

Look, I'm not trying to trash anybody, and I recognise that aquarium thermos only range from between 50 and 106 degrees, but, as the OP even admitted, these are the same dang things: to wit "same tech, different range"… and these cost all of about 15 cents a strip… regardless of the temp range…I've been to the trade shows.. This is something I know….

Not ripping on anybody, but I have to call BS when I see BS. I know nobody is looking to get righ off this – I mean… look at the crowd we run in…. only REI and patagucci are getting rich off backpacking, and that's mostly because of yuppies buying overpriced carp they dont use, but .. Come the h on…

Beyond all that.. do you really need to know the exact temp?(me, I use the nipple scale, which ranges from brie cheese to diamond cutters {100+F to -30F}) I thought BPL was about symplifying…. not more gear..

this whole thing is kind of a joke…

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Dave, Ken isn't a spam guy, but you sure seem to have it in for him somehow. I will buy a couple of sets from him, because I'd like to know what they're all about. It will be maybe $10-12 to me, they will be shipped to my door, and I'll have a couple nights of fairly cheap entertainment, playing around with them on my patio. That's worth it to me. Who knows–maybe they'll even come in handy in the backcountry.

If you like, I'll buy them from you, if you can undercut his price significantly, and also if you can write me a coherant note with proper spelling and less anger than you've shown thus far. Ken seems to be a good and decent person, per his posts and with his IM to me. You don't. You seem like some sort of troll. Let it go, pal, and move on.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

"Look, I'm not trying to trash anybody, and I recognise that aquarium thermos only range from between 50 and 106 degrees, but, as the OP even admitted, these are the same dang things: to wit "same tech, different range"… and these cost all of about 15 cents a strip… regardless of the temp range…I've been to the trade shows.. This is something I know….

Not ripping on anybody, but I have to call BS when I see BS. I know nobody is looking to get righ off this – I mean… look at the crowd we run in…. only REI and patagucci are getting rich off backpacking, and that's mostly because of yuppies buying overpriced carp they dont use, but .. Come the h on…

Beyond all that.. do you really need to know the exact temp?(me, I use the nipple scale, which ranges from brie cheese to diamond cutters {100+F to -30F}) I thought BPL was about symplifying…. not more gear..

this whole thing is kind of a joke…"

Then perhaps you shouldn't buy them.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

but I have to call BS when I see BS
    Yours or the OP ?
    So far the only one that has been talking BS is you (Dave)
    How about you provide a link that shows you can buy those 4 strips (that is 4 not 4 boxes of 100/500/1000…) for the sort of prices you are quoting ?

The point about those strips being useful or not is not relevant , that is not up to you to decide …
    Franco

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Dave

Who did you get those prices from and for what quantity? Marcy, Marge, Sal, Scott, Paul or Vinnie? Marcy and Marge would have been your trade show contacts, in case you forgot. Let me know.

Gary

For the record, if you are at all unhappy with the indicators if/when you get them, I will happy give you a full refund…shipping and everything.

KJ

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Roger, what water are you looking at that is swimmable below 27F. Even the saltiest of sea water would be block of ice by then ;)

Dave, maybe I can buy them for 50 cents a piece, but I really would only need a couple, not a thousand units. The only alternatives I quickly found on google were mostly in the $5 range. Some were only $1-$2 but again that was for just a single strip. Ken's product offers more strips, a greater temp range, and convenience at a low price.

If you can provide a direct link to these "other" thermo stickers, that would actually be constructive and helpful to the community rather than just petty and antagonistic.

He's offering 4 at a supposedly wholesale cost of $2 to him…fairly standard markup on his part (especially for such an inexpensive item).

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Roger, what water are you looking at that is swimmable below 27F.
    Frankly, I prefer to avoid swimming in sub-zero water … I've washed in water with ice floating around, and I have waded through such water, and that was bad enough!
    But I don't think I mentioned swimming in the stuff anywhere?

As for the cost of the strips – pretty cheap, and don't forget the time taken to package them up and take them to the post office.

Cheers

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

I just want to say thank you to the first two people that ordered. I appreciate your business and hope you enjoy the indicators!

5 sets of indicators are now sold and I have five more sets ready for mailing same day if anyone else is interested. Additional indicators on order and available for shipment in 2 days.

KJ

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I'll buy a set if they are available.
    Cheers,
    Anthony

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Anthony-

Definitely available. I have PM'd you detail on ordering and payment.

KJ

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools