Topic

Luxurious ultralight tents for two; price per oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Luxurious ultralight tents for two; price per oz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    NW Hiker
    Spectator

@king2005ify

I vote for the Z packs…it is spacious (1000% nicer then a inner-net set-up), watertight, won't sag (silnylon is awful), and only weighs 16.9 oz!

If not you'll buy something, use it, sell it and end up there anyway more than likely :) and going that route wastes several hundred dollars.

Cheers

Rich J
    Spectator

@pnwhiker

Locale: Pacific NW

Here's another way to analyze this data. Borrow the economist's idea of an efficient horizon. In your spreadsheet select the columns with price and weight. Now insert an x-y scatter plot. What you are looking for is the minimum weight tent at any given price point. For example, there are three options in the $535-550 range. The one with the minimum weight, (Zpacks Hexamid at 16.9oz) is one point on the efficient horizon. The entire efficient horizon is a line across the bottom of this graph which touches the bottom points (FYI – the economic equivalent identifies portfolios which have maximum return for a given risk).

Matthew Naylor

@mrnlegato

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I love graphs. Here it is.
    (Also added LightHeart Duo + 1 Peak for kicks)
    table 5

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

It depends what you mean by 'tent'.
    Although i own a few of the shelters named in the thread, i wouldn't call them 'tents'.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

My wife had similar criteria when we purchased our two person tent. We had the added benefit of being able to see most tents life at the GGG IV at Henry Coe this February.
    Seeing tents, their pitch and being able to put our own sleeping pads in them was very valuable for us. We both use a regular NeoAir (72×20). So tents with a tapered design that offer less than 40+ inch at foot and head end didn't look that good any longer. For my wife it was also somewhat important to have privacy to change in the tent – so tents with a half open net side were less desirable.
    In the end we decided for an SMD Cuben Haven with NetTent. We took it this summer on the JMT. As my wife insisted on the NetTent for its bathtub out of fear to get a wet sleeping bag and the net for fear of mosquitoes, we agreed that she would carry the heavier NetTent while I would carry the outer tent. When we resupplied at Muir Trail Ranch roughly half way through the JMT, my wife went through her backpack and shipped back all items she didn't want any longer. The NetTent was one of the items … and that despite the major rain storms we had this year on the JMT. So now we have a 10 oz two person tent we are both happy with – and if there should be really bad mosquitoes we can add 1 lbs to our pack and bring the NetTent along.

Manfred

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools