Topic

Help me out. I feel like I’m missing something.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Help me out. I feel like I’m missing something.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Timothy Barber
    BPL Member

@tbarber4

Locale: Bremerton

I'm trying to get a <15 lb base weight, but I feel like I'm missing something. I know the pack and boots are fairly heavy by most standards, and there are a few items that are not reaalllyyy needed.

I'd like some advice on what's missing/could possibly go. Thanks guys/gals.
    Current base weight looks around 12.5 pounds.
    http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=9729

Item Name Category desc qty weight
    Boots clothing Scarpa Kailash Pair 1 1275
    Bandana clothing Black 2 30
    Skull Cap clothing Coal, Grey 1 30
    Pants clothing Convertible Endeavor Pants 1 345
    Shirt clothing Dri-release 93 Poly/ 7 Wool 1 172
    Underwear clothing Adidas 91% Polyester 9% Spandex 2 61
    Socks clothing Smartwool PhD Midweight Wool 2 70
    Base Layer clothing Midweight EMS TechWick 1 226
    Liner Socks clothing 2 24
    Water Bottle cooking Nalgene, Standard Wide Mouth 2 181
    PolarPure cooking Full 1 135
    Backpack none Osprey Kestrel 48 1 1470
    Tent Liner shelter TarpTent Moment Liner 1 110
    Tent shelter TarpTent Moment 1 850
    Sleeping Pad shelter NeoAir XTherm Small 1 310
    Sleeping Bag shelter EMS Velocity 35deg 1 878
    Baby Wipes toiletries Off brand 1 90
    First Aid Kit toiletries
    Band Aids, Tape, Neo, Gauze, BUtterflies, Alcohol Wipes 1 84
    Knife tools Smith & Wesson 1 87
    Paracord tools 100 Feet 1 188
    Eton Raptor tools
    Solar Charger, Radio, Compass, Altimeter, Watch, Flashlight 1 323
    Firesteel Pro tools 1 28
    Cell Phone tools Samsung Galaxy S III 1 133
    Gear Strap tools Black 2 17

Timothy Barber
    BPL Member

@tbarber4

Sub 15 pound base weight for 3+ season backpacking in the North East, with an eventual thru-hike on the AT.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Lots of heavy electronics.

Most of us go backpacking so that we can get away from civilization, not so that we can carry it along with us.

Lots of tent weight.

–B.G.–

Timothy Barber
    BPL Member

@tbarber4

What would be a lighter tent? Bug protection is kind of a must in tick-ville USA.

Also, the electronics will most likely be left behind.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Edit. I don't like to have to look at another page to dissect a list, sorry.

Timothy Barber
    BPL Member

@tbarber4

It's listed as worn in the geargrams

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"What would be a lighter tent? Bug protection is kind of a must in tick-ville USA."

Geez, you could easily halve the tent weight if you invested some money. Zpacks has some cuben fiber thingies with cuben fiber above and netting below.

When I was in Army training many decades ago, we used to deter crawling insects with a liberal application of DEET liquid or spray on the ground perimeter.

–B.G.–

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I don't see any shells or insulation layer. No rain jacket? No windshirt? If it's cool enough for a hat, you will need something more than a basebaselayer on top at least.

No stove?

Swap the Nalgene bottles for something else: collapsable bottle, disposable bottle etc.

What is the 100 feet of paracord for? If it's for a bearbag, where's the bag and biners?

Do you really need liner socks? Even in heavy boots, modern sock technology has improved to make the inside of socks smooth and comfy.

If you do need liners, bring only 1 pair, you certainly don't need it at night, so wash the liner and wool sock you wore in the evening and wear the clean wool sock to bed. Then in the morning add the liner and let the wet wool sock continue to dry.

RE shelter see solo tent round-up that was just added to the articles recently.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Drop the liner socks, get down to one small knife, cut the cord in half, unless you don't use it for bear line, in which case you could probably ditch it. The electronics could likely be whittled down to one item, take a camera or a phone. I'd get rid of the nalgene as well and maybe the tent inner. could you get by with out it, use a mosquito headnet or a bivy maybe? First aid looks heavy too. For something you rarely if ever use, a few bandaids, a few pills, AB ointment, and a compress or gause/tape should do.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

"What would be a lighter tent? Bug protection is kind of a must in tick-ville USA."

I often read someone saying something like that and it kind of puzzles me. I tend to cowboy camp when I can and as near as I can tell I have never gotten a tick while laying on or in my sleeping bag. They grab on when moving about through grasses or undergrowth in my experience.

I can see where you would want mosquito protection though so my point may be moot.

Timothy Barber
    BPL Member

@tbarber4

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools