Topic

Lost Coast Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Lost Coast Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Speckman

@bushwood

Locale: santa cruz mountains

Planning on the Mattole to Black Sands section in early October.
    Had a few questions for those that want to weigh in:

Gaiters – worth it? So far, the plan is a pair of inov-8 roclite 295. I've got an old pair of dirty girls, but they currently reside in a black hole in my closet.

Early October – anything special about that time of year that I'd be better off knowing now?

Parking at Black Sands – fairly safe? Vehicle would be there 4-5 days.

Sinkyone – time permitting, we'd like to explore the southern section for a day or two. I've heard Usal is a zoo, and we'd already be in the Shelter Cove area anyway. I was thinking a quick out-and-back from Needle Rock or Bear Harbor might be the ticket, but I just made that up, so any ideas for a day or two's exploring in Sinkyone would be cool.

Other than that, thanks for all the help. This is my first post, but I've already gleaned a ton of info from you all, so thanks – hope to give some back.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Welcome to the forums.

Gaiters. If you have them handy then take them. If not, don't. I have not worn them on my majority of hikes out there. I wear the 330s and do just fine.

October is a great month in Humboldt though your chance of bad weather increases with every week as it goes along. Rains have been starting around Halloween

Never say never, but I have had no problems at Black Sands parking nor has anyone else I know first hand. Last time I left my vehicle unlocked(forgot)for three days. All was fine.

Sinkyone, sorry have not been.

James McBryan

@jamesprepatrip

Locale: SF Bay Area

I'm actually headed to the Lost Coast this weekend.

RE Gaiters: If you're hiking on the beach, I don't see why would need them. If you're hiking on land, they may be useful because of the amount of ticks and poision oak out over there. I am not sure how overgrown the mountainous trails are but I'll let you know next week.

RE Parking: You always park at your own risk. Shelter Cove is populated and isn't ritsy Beverly Hills or anything, so whatever you have might be desirable.

Good luck!
    James

Patrick Speckman

@bushwood

Locale: santa cruz mountains

Thanks for the input – much appreciated.
    James – have a great trip, and yes, any info you want to pass along after your trip would be cool.
    Thanks again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools