Topic

Multi use belt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Multi use belt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Hello BPL members, I'm working on a multi use belt for hiking and wanted to get some feed back, and see if there was any interest for something like this before I try to sell them. Here are just a few uses. This is also posted in Gear Deals.

1. Belt
    2. Tourniquet
    3. Emergency tarp tie out
    4. Strap for backpack if one breaks/sturnum strap
    5. Hang your pack in a tree or over an edge
    6. Strap to lash things to outside of your pack
    7. Attach it to a water bottle to retrieve water

I'm sure there are a lot more uses, but now I'll post some pics. Moderators if this is the wrong place to post please let me know. Thanks, Jack

belt

belt

belt

belt

belt

belt

belt

be

The belt is made from light weight 1" webbing with 2, 1 inch "D" rings on one end and a gromet on the other end. I put a gromet in so you can use it to stake out your tarp if a line breaks. The "D" rings are made from plastic, but seem to be holding up very well. I will get a weight on my belt tomorrow. I have a 32" waist and cut mine a little long, always better to be longer than to short.

Please fell free to comment, positive or negative is welcome.

If I start making these to sell, they will most likely be in the $8.00-$10.00 range this includes shipping anywhere in the CONUS

Thanks for looking, Jack

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Cool Idea another use you could sell them at natural product stores geared toward Vegans. They don't like to wear anything made out of animals.
    Have you tried making the belts out of the thicker nylon webbing with designs on them? How do the plastic "D" rings hold on the thicker webbing? You get the the design webbing from Seattle fabrics.
    Terry

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I tried the thicker webbing at first, and gave some of those belts to close friends to try out. The response was they wanted something lighter and thinner, that's why I am trying these now. I've been wearing mine to work every day and on hiking trips, and so far they are holding up great. Thanks for the comments guys. If I can get the materials cheaper somewhere else I might be able to do these for $6.00 shipped. One problem with the pricing is shipping, it will cost around $2.00 to ship it in the CONUS. I've shipped a few now in bubbble mailers and they told me that is the price no matter where it goes in the US. I'm looking into different opptions for mailing, any ideas?

robert perks

@rperks

The belts look great, simple, clean and functional.

The investment will now need to be in the shipping and handling work flow. You can get the costs down, but you will need to buy bubble mailers in as big of a lot as you can. Also think UL, just like the gear itself, the packing needs to be as small and light as possible to serve it's purpose well (part of that purpose is marketing). Set up an account online with shipper of choice, get the digital scale and print and pay postage online. Doing all of this to shave the pennies will add up. Working through that learning curve will also set the foundation for anything else you are trying to sell of ship in the future.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Why do you need a grommet when you could put a loop on the opposite end for use as the emergency stake out? That is all I see the grommet is used for and a loop does the same thing.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Instead of a grommet, you could do what Marmot does with their "Stake Tape"–just a 1/2 inch slit in the long axis of the webbing, which is then heat sealed to prevent fraying or tearing. Very strong, and it will accept nearly any size stake. Actually, Marmot's stake tape will work with their own stakes of course, and also the Eastons. But not a MSR Groundhog. So I simply took a scalpel and extended the slits 1/4", and then heat sealed it with a hot metal rod. It works perfectly now.

This "stake belt" of yours looks like a great way to keep a 6 pack cold in a stream–just cinch it tight and employ your most trustworthy stake.

I've used similiar D-ring belts in the past. One thing that bothered me was they didn't stay cinched up, and I had to occasionally re-tighten them. Have you got a way to prevent that, like scoring the insides of the D rings, or something?

I'm liking your multiple use thinking, Jack.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

@ John and Gary, thanks for the ideas. Getting rid of the grommet would be nice, it is kind of an eyesore during every day use, but I just tuck my under so it can't be seen. Gary so far the belt hasn't slipped much, only after I've used it a few weeks, if this happens I just reverse the way I put my belt on and that seems to take care of it, and after a day or so reverse it back, ie.. if I feed it from the left one time, the next time I feed it from the right. I think I'll try the slit method and see how this works, should be interesting to see if the webbing will hold it. I also like your idea of the 6 pack LOL. If I can get rid of the grommet I can save even more time money and weight, that's a bonus. Thanks again for all the comments.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Jack, I'm not at all here to dis your idea, but to rather offer some feed back. I very much like what you're into here. Today, I actually mocked up a 1" webbing version of your concept, and I've been wearing it for several hours now. It seems to hold it's tension fine (while I watch football games). I screwed up and cut it short–I wish I'd let it be much longer, so I could set that 6-pack further from the creek bank!

Try that slit technique–it's worth a try. You can always use those extra grommets for some other project.

All the best, Jack.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

@ Gary, I didn't think you were dising my idea at all, in fact I tried the slit and really like it. I really hate typing/texting I have a tendency to come across in the wrong way, I'm not very eloquent with words or how to display the meaning, so sometimes it comes across rude or uncaring, that is not how I feel at all, just the opposite, I'm very greatfull for everyones comments. I'm liking the new version, thanks.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Jack, you're communication is fine–I felt no negatives vibes from you at all. We're all in this MYOG gig together, and any sweet result that we can help each other achieve is merely the result of our collective efforts.

Also, I hate typing too, and I've never texted anyone, ever. I'm old school, I guess, and I kinda like it that way. I'd rather sit in the back and watch a racoon confront a fox, or to talk to the deer that cruise through the yard looking for my fallen apples. Then there are those pesty skunks that think they can approach me–that's what the flashlight and BB pistol are for.

Belts are just for kicks, and for sharing concepts. You're a good man, Jack.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools