Topic

What am I doing wrong?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    TLG
    BPL Member

@cmich

ALSO POSTED AT HAMMOCK FORUMS

First ever hammock hanging attempt.

Found some ripstop nylon at wally world today for $0.75 a yard, decided to make a hammock after the idea for an 8×10 flat tarp was thrown out due to non water resistant fabric construction.

Dimensions: 11' long x 60" wide
    Sewn channels at either end with whipping, and 1" hem sewed on either side.

PROBLEM: Major sag in the side walls, does not help to hang the hammock loose, or super tight. Can take the side walls of the hammock and completely wrap them around me. How can I fix this??

TLG
    BPL Member

@cmich

Wow, sorry for the terrible picture quality. Try viewing them here instead

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59346.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Looks like you are laying fairly inline with the center of the hammock. Lay at more of an angle for a flatter position. You could put some pull outs on the hammock, but it looks pretty normal to me.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

+1 on Ken's statement. Lying at an angle will change how the hammock "pulls" around you:

Take a look here

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I agree. You want to lay at an angle. The suspension should be at a 30 degree angle with the hommock loaded. It is easier to have somone "model" the hammock so you ca see what is going on. The slack and angles changle with the span an and height. .

Hammocks aren't as neat and clean as a pitched tarp and there may be some loose fabric.

Hammock sag angles

Hammock basics

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools