Topic

Adding a zipper to eVent bivy (in theory)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adding a zipper to eVent bivy (in theory)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

I posting this in MYOG, though it's more of a group of questions that may lead me to SEMMOG (Someone Else Modify My Own Gear).

I am the proud owner of a new-to-me Integral Designs eVent Overbag. I really like the roominess and the material really does seem top-notch. Getting in and out of it is exactly what I expected – I need to do the "bivy wiggle" due to the opening only at the top. If that's the way it needs to be, that's just fine. We can skip any discussion about how I should have bought the bivy I want instead of exploring modification, I'm just asking questions here. Sorry if that seems bratty, I've just seen some threads turn into that. :)

It would be great if there was a zipper on one side, maybe 36 – 48" long that would fold back for ease of use. If you're familiar with the ID Overbag, the "headhole" cinches shut with cords. I don't see any reason that I'd want to change that.

I'm hoping that those of you out there with MUCH more experience than I can help with these questions…

– Are there any eVent specific concerns about opening up a seam and putting in a zipper? Is there a specific thread that needs to be used?

– I've looked at all of the waterproof zipper threads I can find, but I'm still kind of confused. I will be using this bivy in winter ONLY. Not rain. Is a WP zipper necessary?

– Has anyone else done this?

– Here comes the kicker….I CAN'T SEW! With that said, I know that sometimes some cottage folks will make gear mods even on items they didn't sell. Anyone know of someone that would do this? I don't really want to drop this off to my local tailor.

Thanks in advance. And go easy on me, I'm not a pro.

EDITED for spelling

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Steve,

I have one mself, I would ask Ben Smith from Gooses feet could he modify it for you.

Cheers,

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

Thanks for the reference, I called Ben and I'm encouraged to hear that he doesn't think I've lost my mind. I'm hoping to hear from some more members before I pull the trigger on this…

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

Thought I'd try to clarify what I'm talking about here in hopes that folks will chime in. Also, when/if this gets done should it be taped?

The Bivy/Overbag
    Bivy

Where I would like the zipper to run
    Pref Zipper run

An issue at the top…the seam tucks under the hood and follows a line off of the outside seam. So, if the zipper stopped where I would like it to stop the the bivy would not open up, it would just be like a big pit zip!
    seam

Closer on that area…where the yellow meets the grey…
    overlap seam

From the outside…
    measured out

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

Steve

Nielsen Brown (blogs – do a search) had exactly the same bivvy altered by Scottish Mountain Gear over here with a side zip…..not that you'd want to send it back but you might try PMing him for some details of how it was done…?

I was thinking of doing the same things but in the end thought that with that horrible yellow colour I'd pass ;-)

ed

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

I sent Nielsen a note, great to hear I'm not on uncharted ground on this one. I consider the biggest challenge to be sourcing a zipper that has just the right mix of mustard and day-glo. Wouldn't want to diminish the aesthetics of the bag! :)

Edited for spelling

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

I also sent an email over to the folks at Rainy Pass. I've seen the reviews for their work on here on BPL – anyone ever have them do anything like this?

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

I have responded to Steve's message but for completeness I thought I would provide my response here as well.

I, like Steve, decided that a side zip was a good idea, but how? I contacted Scottish Mountain Gear
    and indicated that I wanted a side zip in the bivy, I also indicated that I wanted to have a water resistant double ended zip and suggested the length (60" in my case). The modification done by Scottish Mountain Gear were excellent and I normally use the bivy with my mid in winter.

Some photos.Top of zip

Bottom of zipBottom of zip

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

Thanks so much for the pictures, that really really helps. Plus, to have someone who has already field tested this idea is huge. I knew that I wasn't creative enough to have been the only one to think of this!!

Looks like I'll be asking Specialty Outdoors to do this for me. http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/about/whatis.asp. When I get it completed, I'll be sure to post pics. Thanks!

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

Roger, what sort of zipper is that? Is it just a DWR tape or is it sort of "vinylised"?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I always sew zipper so edge of fabric is very close to zipper teeth.

You have to actually overlap the teeth a little before it will snag.

Then there's a smaller gap where the fabric isn't for water and air to get through.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Steve I think it is a uretek zipper, vinylised.

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

Alright, with all that info (thanks!) my bivy is shipping off to the Pacific Northwest to Specialty Outdoors for the modification. I feel like a friend I just met is going in for surgery!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Very cool. I've been toying with this idea as well. Please post some detailed photos when you get it back.

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

This site has been such a help to me, I'll be happy to share pics and details.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Steve,

How much are they charging you as I have one and might get it done.

Cheers,

Stephen

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

Sounds like the range is going to be $45-60 for the waterproof zip. For a "standard" zip it was in the $30-45 range. I'll let you all know how it goes…

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Steve, I eagerly await your report.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Steve,

How did you get getting the zip added?

I was using mine on a trip last month and could of done with the zip.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools