Topic

Adult-sized, “down sweater”, 800-fill, Costco: $70

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Adult-sized, “down sweater”, 800-fill, Costco: $70

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Here's a new one to Costco: the Kirkland deluxe down jacket with 20-denier shell and 800-fill down. It's a Patagonia knock-off for 70 bucks, available in Scout Green, Black and Graphite grey. It does not have a reversible zipper for the interior pocket (ie not a stuff-pocket) but it does have a waist cinch and the construction is very nice. The pockets are lined with a very thin, very low pile soft cloth.

Kirkland Down Sweater
    This is an XL

Kirkland Down Sweater price card
    MY store stocks them next to the stuffable down youth jackets, on the center-floor.

Kirkland Down Sweater Info 1
    The shell is like totally tubular, dude

Kirkland Down Sweater Info 2
    The geese said, "ouch" in Magyar

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I'm surprised to see such technical information on those tags.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

How much do they weigh?

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

It looks like a solid purchase, but my thought on handling them was that they were a bit understuffed. They also appear to be 90/10 with down/feathers rather than fully down coats. I can understand that as a way to save money on them.

Compared to my first ascent one, bought on deep discount for the same price, they seem more durable but less warm and cush. The nylon also felt somewhat stiff.

Probably not something I will pick up because I have one already, but a good deal.

Of note – they have kirkland brand soft shells right now that are waterproof breathable soft shells with good details. The cuffs don't have elastic or velcro, so they are right out for me – however for someone looking for a good bang-around soft shell they look like one heck of a value. As with all soft shells, they aren't light but the price is right for a solid jacket.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

This is hard for me to swallow seeing this as a deal when I have two brand new with tags Marmot Zues jackets for sale for $75 shipped and I can't even get rid of them. These look to be similar weight/fill also. Cool find, but boo! (boo because I can't sell my jackets) :P

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

agreed.
    Someone is selling First Ascend down jacket for $80 and it is a much better jacket.

The $30 vests may be a decent deal for ladies, but $70 jackets are not that great.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Ironically, if I'd been able to find the Zeus in my size and color before I bought my Patagonia or the Kirkland I just added, I'd have gladly paid $75 for it! I was willing to carry more weight to get a slightly more durable shell, and I like the fit. But, I didn't find one for a deal like that and I scored a Patagonia on clearance, in a positively "visible" color.

One thing about Costco is the ubiquity of retail locations and a return policy very much like REI.

Regarding those informational labels, it looks to me like someone up at Kirkland is getting techy with the gear, and I'm glad to see it. The soft-shell mentioned above has a similar tag and is a very nice looking piece of gear, albeit designed for daily wear, as opposed to UL/backpacking shell use.

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

FWIW
    I just noticed that my new Montbell UL Parka is also 90/10.
    small surprise, as this detail does not make it into the specs on the MB site, sadly.
    i have emailed them 2 letm know…

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Anyone know how much these weigh?

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

I own two XL's, so I tared out a hanger and put them on the digital scale:

–Patagonia Down Sweater: 16.1oz

–Kirkland Down jacket: 13.1 oz

A F

@gosharks

90/10 is standard.

My Mountain Hardwear Phantom jacket is 90/10.

Hammock Hanger
    BPL Member

@travelpro

Costco had the same exact jacket last year but the price was $40 then. This is what a declining US Dollar vs Chinese Forex looks like.

Outer shell fabric seems a little more durable than the First Ascent that i also got at deep discount last year. But the First Ascent is in every way a better jacket–warmer, softer, more fill, still compacts nicely.

+1 on Costco's $25 soft shell. They may not be UL but they are great everyday jackets and very durable, warm, reasonably water repellent (not intended as a rain jacket). In much of the US It could work as your main winter jacket.

Costco also has Timberland fleece. I got two vests @ $26.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

I think this product, the soft-shells and the new tech shirts are all new to Costco's line, and that the reference to last year is mistaken. Costco's Kirkland listings appear to agree.

The sky may be falling, but this is still an item that wasn't previously offered. So, if you're near a Costco, check it out. Maybe MontBell or Western Mountaineering is a better product for you, maybe not. In my case, the "fat-gringo cut" of this product (and the Patagonia) make it a nice option.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I'm not really in the market – well sort of casually in the market – for a down sweater/puffer jacket.

But I did see that Cabelas has a variety of jackets in different weights on sale/clearance. My experience with their products overall is quite good – generally not particularly UL – but rugged and well made.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Superlight-800-Down-Jacket-150-Regular/1214789.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D5102719%26Ne%3D5102719%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Ddown%2Bjacket%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3DSearchRefinements%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Ddown%2Bjacket%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts&Ntt=down+jacket&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

By the way, I looked into the Cabelas "ultra-light" jacket at the link provided and they say the weight is 1.45lbs.

I've got a Costco nearby and $70 for a down sweater/light jacket doesn't seem bad. But I'm wanting the opinions of you who own them – yea or nay?

By way, I missed a chance to pick up an REI RevealCloud Primaloft-insulated 13oz jacket for $79 onsale a couple weeks ago.

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

If you hunt around, or use the occasional coupon, you can get the Patagonia version for under $100. I did, I think from a Campmor or similar.

For example , now $99 at ProLite Gear. http://www.prolitegear.com/patagonia-down-sweater-closeout-fall-11.html?opt=alpha%20green%20/%20x-large

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I saw this jacket while visiting the Edmonds, WA Costco with my DIL. A Costco membership isn't feasible for this old lady living alone, but my dog badly needed a new bed and Costco's dog beds last several times longer than the ones at Petco. The jackets look nice, although since I already have a Montbell I didn't bother to try one on.

There are also kids' down jackets for $40. A smaller person could wear a large or extra large child's size for a lot less money! That's the one that was being talked about last year!

They also had some nice looking merino wool hiking socks, 4 pair for $12. I bought a package. The socks run a bit large–according to the package, I should have gotten size Large since I wear a women's 9 1/2 shoe, but the medium (which I bought) are just right for me. I also looked at their Kirkland merino wool socks, which are thinner (and therefore lighter). However, those have a thick toe seam, which would hit the high point of my hammer toes and be extremely painful. For those not bothered by toe seams, they would be good.

There are undoubtedly other goodies for the budget conscious to be found there, too!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Costco had the same exact jacket last year but the price was $40 then. This is what a declining US Dollar vs Chinese Forex looks like.

Andrew, you seem to be the only person that remembers this. When you first posted this, I tried searching for what you were talking about, and only came up with the boy's jackets that the others recall as well. There was also a well priced women's down jacket. I'm sure there would have been a thread on this jacket too if it was around last year. While it isn't a big deal, I'd appreciate it if you could post a link to what you're talking about.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The children's jacket for $40 was being talked about on a number of forums last year, and it was pointed out then that a children's large was equivalent to an adult small. I never saw anything about an adult jacket last year.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

First, even if the erroneous assertion about the new adult jacket were correct, I don't known anyone that can time-travel back to score that amazing deal. "Moot" is the term here.

Second, the children's down puffys are $30, not forty, and they're also listed and photo imaged elsewhere in this forum. Great jackets for small people. They were thirty bucks last year, too, when they had the "White Star" label on them. Different "brand" this year, but same item.

Third, I own the Patagonia AND one of the new Kirklands. Although it appears the Kirkland has less fill (see weights, above), the fit, feel and construction is not only VERY similar to the Patagonia but frankly, just plain good.

Costco has been dabbling in higher-tech outdoor clothing lately. Not only are they stocking some excellent tech layers, but the new down puffy and soft shell are clearly nicer that anything they've had before. The new labeling is a bit of an indicator as to which products are in their "high line" in Kirkland stuff — not every new item have those black, tabbed tags.

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

Fit is very good, not tight in the shoulders or arms – back length is good. Good zipper that doesn't snag. Good windblock under the zipper. Good waist cinch. Collar fit good. No pokies from feathers and no downy seams. Exterior pockets seem a bit high up, (Chinese have short arms?), but put your hands under the insulation which is nice. Interior pocket seems fine. Color choices are Black (really a dark steel), Steel grey, and Funky green (no idea what to compare it to).

My XXL squished down to cantaloupe-size without issue and would go smaller if it mattered. The jacket/sweater does not have it's own stuff sack, which is fine for me as I would only stuff it into the top of my pack anyway.

It should be considered a light jacket at best. It is NOT a sub-zero puffy down coat. I bought it to be part of a layering system for fall hiking. My guess is that it is fine by itself when sitting around at 40*F. Add a shell over the top and a light sweater underneath and together it should be good for colder than I like.

I have no qualms about spending $70 on it because I'm not interested in making a backpacking fashion statement. The other light jacket I was interested in was the REI Revelcloud, which I missed when it was $79 a month ago. Different insulation but same weight.

Obviously I have no real world use with this jacket yet, so take my "review" accordingly. Hope this helps.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Erik, it's moot for the reason you're thinking of, but there are other reasons for wanting to see it. Finding that old thread, if it exists, can reveal how well this jacket worked, and let us know who has long term experience with it. Also, knowing that that old thread doesn't exist, and could not have existed, or was for a different jacket, means no one else wastes there time looking for something that isn't there.

Thanks for your impressions and comparison of this jacket.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I bought one a few days ago and just used it on a weekend trip in the North Cascades. Size Large, 12.6oz on my scale. I'm 6'5" 180lb, and I bought it because the arm length is longer than the Patagonia or Montbell jackets I've tried on. Cut is generous, to say the least (they are selling them at Costco, after all). I used it over a lightweight nylon hiking shirt (columbia), and was comfortable sitting around in a socked-in camp between 45-50 degrees. The dwr is no joke, beaded like drizzle and the constant misting like a champ, shook right off. For 70$ and a tall-guy fit, I'm stoked on it. Packs down to about softball size.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Just want to say that I also found the sizing to be on the large side. I'm 6'4" and around 176lbs, and size L fits perfect in arms, but is too big and has a lot of space in arms and torso. Size M is slightly short in arms…

Either way – i don't think this is a great deal compared to deals on here or on some other discount type sites.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools