Topic

Trail Designs Caldera Cone Fusion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trail Designs Caldera Cone Fusion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Got a new stove recently and finally had time to put some pics on my computer. It's a Trail Designs Ti Tri Design Caldera Cone made to fit in my Snow Peak 700 Trek Mug.

According to Rand at TD, the Fusion is "2 titanium cones that will fit completely inside your [snow peak 700 which has long handles that make a fissure not work] and will be wood fire capable …

He also described the difference between the the Classic and the ULC. He said "The Classic Caldera or Ti-Tri will go all the way to the top of the pot and is the most efficient. The Fissure was made to be a "classic" in that sense, but made out of 2 cones to fit in the pot." The ULC is a single short cone that will fit inside the pot. And "the "Fusion" is a fusion of the ulc concept and the fissure concept."

I have always liked to use my weight savings to bring a cup along with my cook pot so that I can have a warm beverage AND a meal at the same time without having to eat out of a bag. I often eat out of a bag, but this keeps my coffe/food pot from smelling like whiskey on occasion or lets me make coffee before doing dishes if I care to.

I have the TD Fusion, inside a snow peak 450 mug with the 12-10 stove inside, and a Ruta Locura carbon fiber lid on top. Here's the unpacking:

SP 700 with CF lid and TD fursion and 12-10 stove inside

Inside look at Fusion and stove in SP 450 (inferno floor only fits as well)

half way there ...

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

both halves with pot and stove ready for stacking

Alcohol Mode (pretend 12-10 is inside)

wood burning mode.  I have the floor but not the inferno

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Should also add that the Snow Peak 450 fits on the stakes fine. So, if I wanted to try SUL (it's not quite 2 cups but would cook some near east cous cous)I could just take the top cone, stove, and SP 450 as sort of a super mini ULC. I'll need to weigh that later. As is, I have the following weights:

The Cone (both pieces) is 1.5 oz.
    The Stove is .5
    Two stakes is .5
    Lid is .25
    pot is 3.2

Total w/o SP 450 = 5.9 oz.

Total w/ SP 450 = 8.3

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Here's mine

ccone
    Love the ULC packed size and the full size cone efficiency.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Here's a 'Fissure' style i made earlier this year for a SP700. Ive since sold the 700 and made a new Ti style fissure for my evernew900

Jason Hung
    BPL Member

@moma-moma

Locale: store.picharpak.com

Hi Brain

Will there be some chemical released out from the carbon lid when heating it up??

I was wondering for long time about this lid!

cheers
    Jason

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

the heat on a lid won't be that much. most of it comes from steam which in the mountains is around 200*. Not hot enough to have any affect on CF

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools