Topic

17 days, 23 hours, 12 minutes and 32 seconds

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion 17 days, 23 hours, 12 minutes and 32 seconds

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Until I board a plane for another trip to the Sierra's.

7 days and 6 nights with 5 of my good friends and co-workers.

This year will be North Lake to Taboose via Piute and JMT.

Needless to say I'm getting pumped for the trip.

Brad

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Have a fantastic, safe trip Brad. Will keep my eyes open for the trip report.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Very cool. I'm jealous! I already want to return to the Sierra's!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"This year will be North Lake to Taboose via Piute and JMT."

That is a very nice route, Brad. You are justified in being pumped. You're going to love Taboose and the country just west of it. It will make a great exit for your trip.

Have a great trip, and take lots of pictures!

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

The section from North Lake to the lower palisade lakes will be new ground, so I'm really looking forward to this section. Providing we have time we will camp at Bench Lake and climb Arrow Peak. My group has some not interested in more than 12 miles, but some of us like more in a day. We make up for it by having camp excursions like climbing something.

After this year I will have from Onion Valley/Kearsarge to North Lake/Piute of the JMT done. Including the following side trails (ie Kearsarge, Taboose, Bishop (south lake to SHR), Piute, I have done the Kearsarge to lower palisade lakes twice. I've done other trips like: mountaineer route up Mt Whitney, thousand island lakes, Palisade glacier/numbered lakes, half dome etc. However the south Sierra's are a special place.

I will need 3 more trips to complete JMT. 1) North lake over Lamark Col and then north on JMT. 2) Finish north end 3) Kearsarge to Mt Whitney.

After the JMT it will be the Trans Sierra. Then it will be loop trails mixing on trail and off trail sections.

Sure hope I have 20-25 years of hiking left in me. My group is only up for one week long trip a year, so I probably need to find a secondary group to hike a trip with. However most on this site seem to like 20-30 mile days. I prefer the 14-18 mile day.

Tom, you are right on about Taboose area. I love the camp spot about 1.5-2 miles out Taboose trail after the stream but before the pass. Great camp spot. Last year I hiked up the ridge to the south and found a couple of excellent hidden lakes.

Brad

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"However most on this site seem to like 20-30 mile days"

Not my experience with those I've met through here. You would have no problems finding partners here for lower mile days.
    14-18 miles is still pretty far compared to trad. packers.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Tom, you are right on about Taboose area. I love the camp spot about 1.5-2 miles out Taboose trail after the stream but before the pass. Great camp spot."

Which side of the pass are you referring to? If it's on the west side, I'm pretty sure I used it this July. If it's on the east side, where the trail crosses back to the north side of Taboose Creek, we bivvied there 3 days ago on our way out from Lake Basin. Saw a bear, too, which surprised me this time of year, but he got the he!! out of Dodge real quick and we didn't have any trouble with him. Either way, great camp spots in a beautiful area. Have a great trip!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools