Topic

Make or Buy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Make or Buy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

If I was looking for a pack with these specs I think I would buy rather than make it. I don't think I could make this pack for less than REI is selling it…..unless I counted by time at zero. It weighs under 12 ounces.

here

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I think you are correct. Would have better resale value than a MYOG pack too if it did not work out.

ROB WHELAN

@threepoint

One of the joys of living in Australia – by the time I've paid for shipping on materials I can usually find a good deal selling what I was going to make cheaper than I could do it myself….. and without the risk of botching the job completely…..

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

MYOG gives me the joy of being hand made by me. But for the price of that pack, I say bust out the plastic and don't look back!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

You will find that if folk were completely honest about the total cost of their DIY (that is including prototypes, extra tools bought to do the job, postage (particularly when not in the USA) and the leftovers) very rarely the project would be less expensive than buying , however if you do it as a hobby and for the satisfaction of having a custom made item, that is an entirely different matter.
    Franco

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I would have to agree with Franco about the cost in most cases. There are some projects that this does not hold true for, such as synthetic quilts, but not many.

However, the important part is the making of the gear for me. Long ago MYOG was a way for me to get gear that I could be happy with and proud of. At this point though, I make gear because I enjoy making it. It is a hobby in itself, and one that has actually started to take up more time than my backpacking.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Chris,

It is definitely a hobby for me too. I'm only interested in making something that isn't available, however. If somebody has already made it and it meets my needs then I'll buy it.

So I guess I don't actually like the process of making gear (sewing, cutting, glueing, etc.) I like thinking of new ideas that might work for me but the actual making of the gear is simply a means to an end……..the end being the functional implementation of the idea. That's probably why most of my myog works but looks like crap.

I really admire the beauty and workmanship of many of the myog shared here but my projects will not be getting any of those awards.

Daryl

ROB WHELAN

@threepoint

Well I can at least say that, so far, my MYOG attempts have brought a lot of enjoyment….. my Girlfriend hasn't laughed so hard in years :)

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Rob,

My myog projects have also been met with laughter…… and fear. People who know me laugh but people who meet me on the trail often look fearful.

My wife is a normal looking person so that helps reduce some of the fear. She is also able to observe people's reaction and give me feedback.

According to her the typical reaction from someone coming from the other direction is to walk by without making eye contact with me. Then they turn their heads in a backward direction with a ""what the heck was that"" look.

Perhaps a photo will illustrate my point. This is a multiuse foam hat/sit pad.

here

Daryl

David Miles
    Spectator

@davidmiles

Locale: Eastern Sierra

I will gladly buy gear when I find someone already makes what I looking for.
    If someone else had made bivy sack for me and my gear, then I would have just bought one.
    Oh, then I would still have a garage :(

Laughter: My wife loves to tell everyone how I look sewing with a headlamp.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools