Topic

New Cameras!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Cameras!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

At the risk of sounding flip, you're not looking hard enough. The NEX-7 in particular will match or exceed any/ APS-C dslr, when it's fitted with a proper lens. Check Luminous Landscape for their several-part NEX-7 series or, for that matter, Ryan Jordan's NEX-7 shots here.

The only two remaining reasons to lug a dslr are CAF performance and/or the need for a specific lens not available in a competing system. Every other technical gap has been closed with the latest generation of mirrorless bodies. The next round of advances will dissolve those, as well.

Cheers,

Rick

Oh Fool
    BPL Member

@dansol-2

Locale: So. Cal

First, let me say that in my former life I was a professional photographer so this is a subject near and dear to my heart.

Back in the early 90's as a young medical student I went to work at Everest BC, to take pictures I hauled my Canon A-1 (imo, if you've never shot with film you can not contribute to an intelligent conversation on anything camera related-snobish? yes. elitist? definitely. but theres something to be said for learning the basics). My cohorts laughed at me for bringing such a monstrosity to the wilderness…not to mention the extra lenses, film and other various accoutrement. But when we compared my pictures to that of my disposable-camera wielding brethren, it was clearly worth it. I go back to EBC about every two years to work, and its been interesting tracking the evolution of cameras people/expeditions use.

The point being, for me picture quality is the biggest factor, followed by weight/size. Since that first Nepal trip I have been humping DSLR-size cameras into the backcountry…nothing else available came close to the picture quality. That is, until about 8 months ago when the NEX-7 was released. I got mine just in time to take it to Chile, Argentina, and Easter Island. It comes very close to replicating what a 5D/7D can do, with a tremendous amount of weight and size savings. If your looking for a true DSLR replacement the NEX-7 is as close as you can get (yes, you have to get all new lenses).

If your trying to get into that 7/8oz region I would suggest Canon S100 (or whatever the newest iteration is), its sensor is huge for its size. Im constantly impressed by how well this little guy performs. The Canon G series (which I don't own) is a staple at Everest BC, and most expeditions use them consistently on the summit. The RX100 (which i don't own) has got great reviews and has an even bigger sensor than the S100.

@Gregory
    Stein-I think you need to take another look at the picture quality from the NEX-7 and RX100 in RAW. Using RAW instead of JPG is always going to get you the best image quality, especially on the NEX-7.

In the next couple years DSLR's will only be used by photojournalists and studio photogs. There a rumors of a NEX-FF, a full-frame mirror-less design from Sony. When that comes out its game over for the DSLR in the backcountry.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

This thread began with a 3.5 oz, under $200 camera.
    Now we are up to around $2000, and much more weight.
    This seems to happen with every camera thread on the GEAR forum.
    Since the industry doesn't seem to want to make a water resistant camera that is really light weight, not to mention the mirrors, I'm resigned to using a waterproof bag or case.
    So more info about the best little cameras would be very helpful.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

First of all, thank you guys for your comments.

Maybe I need to take a second look or maybe the pics I saw were taken by "point and shot" technique (In masterpiece mode).

FF mirrorless camera does exist, it's Leica M9 (if I remember correctly). It costs ton ($7000 or so). Dan, you forgot another aspect – optics. While you can, theoretically, increase the sensor size, you MUST build the optics accordingly. It's a "no go" when you attach crappy lens to FF camera. So increasing sensor you'll get bigger and heavier lens anyway. Compare weight of "cropped" (DX) lens to a FF lens.

I'll look at Nex7 again. Because I really really want to believe it will replace my heavy photo gear (not mentioning my tank tripod Monfrotto weighing 3 kilos, OMG! – don't worry I will never take it again to hike. Learnt it hard way). Nex7 may be screwed on a lighter tripod. Maybe even hiking pole. The lenses are lighter and smaller.

The lack of viewfinder is kinda killing factor for me, but I will overcome it, if I can save kilos of photo gear. Ah, yeah, I don't call that thing that Nex7 has viewfinder. It's not. It is a screen, very small screen.

Thank you again,

Greg.

Oh Fool
    BPL Member

@dansol-2

The lens is the linchpin in this whole camera weight/size v. picture quality debate. A manufacturer can make the body as small they want but there's no substitute for high quality glass elements….which are, unfortunately, heavy.

Obviously the lens is important, and that cost might be a hurdle for someone looking to upgrade. In the case of the NEX-7, the only real quality glass available is the 24mm, maybe the 50mm…for now. The M9 is a rangefinder and its body size/weight (not to mention the cost) don't make it a viable option-its over 600g w/o lens, etc.

@SamC.Farrington-I guess my point is (as a former photographer for ESPN, I understand my opinion on this might be slightly skewed)…if your going to take a camera into the backcountry, take a camera that will give you results you can be proud of, i.e. make prints. If you just want to take snapshots of you standing in front of mileage markers…a. don't bother taking a camera (b/c no one really cares) or b. take a disposable camera (around 2oz and 5 bucks).

Honestly, if you NEED to have a cheap sub-4oz camera, get a GoPro. The image quality is decent, you can time-lapse, and of course take HD video…and its waterproof. Yes, yes I know, no viewfinder. But, if you were really worried about how the picture is going to turn out you would get a decent camera.

There is no reason why (again, my opinion might be a little skewed) if your willing to buy a crap camera for $200, you wouldn't invest another $160 and 3oz to get something along the lines of a Canon S100…which has picture quality that rivals all but the best DSLR's.

@GregStein-3kg Holy Crap! If you want a lightweight fully-extendable tripod check out the carbon Velbon tripods. I have the 540L, comes in just over 900g, not bad for a full rig. I agree, the viewfinder on the NEX-7 is a bit crap, but its better than nothing.

The reality is that nothing will replace a 5D Mk.III fitted with L-series glass. But the NEX-7 gets close, and the next generation will get even closer.

Its probably a good time to mention that I no longer work for ESPN and have no connection or relationship to any camera manufacturer. I'm just a bloke who cares about taking good pictures, and think others should be too.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Dan, some people will make the argument that they never get photos blown up to large size, so they aren't interested in that kind of quality, so they never get a quality camera in the first place. All they are interested in is computer screen size or smaller. Besides, it is hard to move 100MB photo files around.

I think what they are missing is that a high quality photo blown up, framed, and hung on the wall can be something to be proud of.

–B.G.–

Oh Fool
    BPL Member

@dansol-2

Bob, I agree completely. As backpackers (and especially as UL backpackers) we go to some of the worlds most amazing locations. Most people can't or won't ever find themselves in the places we are so privileged to see. The pictures one takes during these trips should not be condemned to a hard drive or some Facebook gallery.

…sooo thats why you should spend $350 on a new camera…haha

Andrew Weldon
    BPL Member

@hypnolobster

The correct answer is (and will probably remain for a little while) the Canon S100. It easily wins out the price/performance issue.

When it comes into waterproofing, you lose out on quality, both of the camera, controls, interface, lens, etc. I've always been inclined to just be careful instead.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Since price came up, Amazon was slinging the Lumix GX1+kit lens for four-hundred bucks this weekend. For anybody looking for a killer backpacking camera that will grow with you, I couldn't imagine a better launchpoint for the money.

Cheers,

Rick

Jamie Healy

@jhealy34gmail-com

Dandydan,
    I also have a NIKON AW100. It is currently sitting in a box ready to head back for warranty work. It is locking up on me and won't respond. I cannot even power it down.

I had the same issue with the GPS so I keep it off. Battery life didn't last me but a few hours and several pics.

I did use it in Hawaii this year underwater. Took good pictures and performed light years beyond the disposable cameras.

Have you used yours for hiking yet? Were you satisfied with the pictures?

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Great post Dan!

Another thing to consider is how many shots you do on single battery charge. Generally speaking on DSLR you do much more. I did over 1500 shoots.

I started to investigate the Nex-7. So far looks really good camera. Not comparable with Canon 5D Mark II :). But is still nice. Is worth to buy the NEX-7 in addition to existing DSLR? Seems too much money for lenses…

Ah, and there is no crazy sharp lens such as 50mm f/1.4 on the NEX…

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

Sometimes we get carried away with the technical specs. I learned a long time ago that photography is art, and has little to do with pixels. A $350 feature rich camera you have with you is infinitely more valuable than the monster you left at home or the one you can't afford.

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

Exactly. As much as I love my Canon 7D and L glass, a Sony RX100 fits in my pocket and weighs significantly less than the 7D combined with the lightest lens I own. Image quality wise the RX100 won't replace the big camera, but there are times when carrying a little camera just makes a lot more sense.

Some samples from a recent trip to Alaska/Washington:

https://picasaweb.google.com/112086107915724607136/SonyRX100Samples?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPqv75LNkNeswQE&feat=directlink

When it has good light and isn't diffraction limited, the RX100 gives the big guns a run for their money, and as light becomes limited, it puts other compacts to shame. Feel free to download full size samples from the link above and judge for yourself, just click on a photo and go to Actions -> Download Photo.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

The problem is not that you leave your monster DSLR at home. My problem is that I'm taking it with me. Quality of photos is important for me.

I'm sure there are a lot people here who have DSLRs and switched (at least in backpacking trips) to something lighter. but still are happy with photos they get.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Then the good news is there's no image quality difference between the best mirrorless and the best dslrs. The former gap has been closed, for good. We can now look forward to class-leading technology being released in mirrorless bodies first, dslrs second.

Cheers,

Rick

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

Sony's sensors are pretty impressive now. I've been using a Nex, originally a Nex-5, which I took with me up Kilimanjaro and into the Serengeti, and now a Nex-7, which I took up Mount Rainier and on a couple of backpacking trips in the Cascades. Depending on which lenses you select, it can be pretty compact, but the quality of the pictures is very good. On top of that, the Nex-7 shoots BluRay quality video and has excellent ergonomics. I wish it were weather sealed, but at least it's pretty solidly built, and it's a good complement to my monorail.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

"I'll look at Nex7 again. Because I really really want to believe it will replace my heavy photo gear (not mentioning my tank tripod Monfrotto weighing 3 kilos, OMG! – don't worry I will never take it again to hike. Learnt it hard way). Nex7 may be screwed on a lighter tripod. Maybe even hiking pole. The lenses are lighter and smaller. "

I still shoot 4×5. I used to use a Nikon dSLR for on-the-trail shooting, since the 4×5 isn't exactly suited for that (I choose camp sites for potential 4×5 opportunities whenever I can). After seeing the picture quality I was able to get with a Nex-7, I sold my Nikon dSLR, which was a d300. I wasn't compromising in quality, though the Nex lens lineup is a bit on the anemic side right now. I'm using several Zeiss and Minolta lenses via adapters right now on the Nex, except when I'm backpacking, in which case I take only the 50mm 5/1.8 lens, which is giving me excellent results, and is quite light.

The Nex7 viewfinder is actually very good. It's better if you manage to not lose the eye cup, but it's still very good.

I also don't understand why anyone would walk into the field with a 3 Kg tripod. It's much more sensible to carry a good lightweight tripod and hang weight on it when you're shooting. I use a 2 pound Gitzo Mountaineer, and it's plenty solid. If it's windy, I can hang my pack from it. I use this setup for my 4×5, and I have images printed at 24×30 from it that are razor sharp, so I know it's plenty sturdy enough. Very few of my large format photographs have exposure times of less than 1/2 of a second.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"It's much more sensible to carry a good lightweight tripod and hang weight on it when you're shooting."

Too many lightweight tripods have a fairly low load capacity. Some don't even have any load capacity rating at all.

Hanging weight on a tripod will work halfway, but it takes time to set all of that up, so you can get landscapes, but not wildlife on the move.

–B.G.–

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

"It's much more sensible to carry a good lightweight tripod and hang weight on it when you're shooting. I use a 2 pound Gitzo Mountaineer, and it's plenty solid. If it's windy, I can hang my pack from it"
    I sold cameras for 30 years and used that advice with LW tripods for at least the last twenty.
    Most customers liked the idea (people with a tripod usually had a camera bag too) others looked at me funny.
    Just a different way of thinking…
    BTW, if the legs are bending, you are exceeding the max weight…

Franco

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

"BTW, if the legs are bending, you are exceeding the max weight…"

Yeah, people seem to be oblivious to the fact that most modern professional tripods are rated for FAR more weight than the camera and lens combinations that people will be using on them, even the bigger lenses. In fact, most of these tripods are rated for more weight than the average UL backpacker with a camera would be carrying TOTAL. So why not take advantage of that by hanging a bit of weight on it to stabilize it?

In reality, that would end up working better than using a heavier tripod anyway, because hanging your pack from the hook on the bottom lowers the system's center of gravity.

I figure if someone thinks that they should both shell out extra bux and carry the extra weight of an over-heavy tripod for stability, they can have it. I'll stick to my lighter tripod and carry some extra snacks and film :)

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

DP Review posted its review of the Sony DSC-RX100 today

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Joseph, why haven't you tried the Nex line? Isn't it a little bit better quality then RX100? RX100 is compact camera with 4-time smaller sensor (area). And of course, the lens.

Your opinion is important for me.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

I'm not sure what are you talking about here, but the quality of, say, Nex-7 doesn't come close to Canon 5D Mark II. The huge difference is the lens. For Canon/Nikon DSLRs there are 300 lenses. Some of them are high-end quality lenses – you just cannot achieve such sharpness on your Nex.

The talk good DSLR vs mirrorless is meaningless DSLR is much better in terms of quality, ergonomics, ease of use. But is much more bulky and MUCH more heavier (consider lens weight also).

For me it is very interesting with what mirrorless models old DSLR users replaced their beloved cameras.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

WOW! You might be very serious if you're taking your 4×5 into the wild! Those trips were work trips or for your own pleasure? You say you've used same LW tripod for 4×5 camera?

BTW, how would you rate Nex-7 video vs, say, FF DSLR video such as 5D Mark II? I know, the focus on 5D is not that convenient, but if you look on quality side only?

Also, are you happy with the dynamic range of Nex-7? How does perform the wide angle 16mm f/2.8 lens in landscape photography? How you shot with this camera most of your pictures? I saw 2 dials on back of camera, are they for aperture/shutter speed? I'm asking, because I don't want camera with all the controls through menus. From reviews I read you can customize some of the Nex-7 buttons with functions (just like on your Nikon D300). Can you hang spot mettering as one of functions? I find it very useful. Is there a DOF preview? How do you switch between aperture/shutter speed priority and full manual mode, via menus? You find it comfortable?

Also, are there filters available for the 16&50mm lens? In particular, neutral density graduate filters are interesting. Less interesting are polarizing filters. Maybe special filters for sunsets… Ah, we're UL here :)

Sorry for too many questions :) But I'm on decision to buy the Nex-7, so your input would be very helpful. Thanks!

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

"I'm not sure what are you talking about here, but the quality of, say, Nex-7 doesn't come close to Canon 5D Mark II. The huge difference is the lens. For Canon/Nikon DSLRs there are 300 lenses. Some of them are high-end quality lenses – you just cannot achieve such sharpness on your Nex."

Reality says you're wrong.

But then again, most of my lenses are Zeiss lenses, so one must wonder what your major malfunction is, since one could easily put one of the crappy Canon kit lenses on a 5d Mark II and then point out that the image looks like crap because you put a lousy lens on it.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools