Topic

Anyone Practice Trail Communism?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Anyone Practice Trail Communism?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"Has lightening the pack lost it's original idea and become a goal in itself, when a backpacker is not willing to share the load of a friend?"

An eloquent statement that Americans, obsessed with individualism, would do well to ponder, IMO. Thank you, Alpo.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Me share a tent with someone other than my wife….nooooooo way…..I fart a lot

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I heard this on the radio today and thought about this tread.

I make no opinions one way or the other- just food for thought…

For those less inclined to read: He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

THE HOLLIES
    "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother"
    (B. Scott and B. Russell)

The road is long
    With many a winding turn
    That leads us to who knows where
    Who knows when
    But I'm strong
    Strong enough to carry him
    He ain't heavy, he's my brother
    So on we go
    His welfare is of my concern
    No burden is he to bear
    We'll get there
    For I know
    He would not encumber me
    If I'm laden at all
    I'm laden with sadness
    That everyone's heart
    Isn't filled with the gladness
    Of love for one another
    It's a long, long road
    From which there is no return
    While we're on the way to there
    Why not share
    And the load
    Doesn't weigh me down at all
    He's my brother
    He ain't heavy, he's my brother…

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I fart a lot"

Better than snoring. ;0)

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have offered to carry some weight for my boyfriend. But his pride keeps him from accepting the offer. We try to practice "communism" when it comes to the tent, each carrying equal halves of it. I haven't been on a group hike with communal gear since I was a kid. Back then we all had to carry a pot or a washtub or some crazy thing like that.

P.S. I love that picture of the moose!!!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

""I fart a lot"

Better than snoring. ;0)"

Depends on how bad your breath smells……

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

No Tom, my snoring is quite legendary

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Love it Doug! So true haha

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Depends on how bad your breath smells……"

;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"No Tom, my snoring is quite legendary"

Ah, but does your breath stink?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

I guess that depends on my oral hygiene while hiking….. :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I guess that depends on my oral hygiene while hiking"

I'm not gonna touch that one, Ken. ;0)

joseph peterson

@sparky

Locale: Southern California

The thread has served to remind me that solo hiking is the best.

Paul Blamire

@blackmud

I swapped packs with my BPing mate on a difficult uphill off piste very slow and very wet section of forest during a trip in Wales. His pack was much heavier than mine, he is much stronger than me and would usually be fine, but he was very ill, too ill to eat, and did the whole day on a few apples. He didn't ask, I offered, and he accepted thankfully. I was worried he'd lose his balance into an overgrown-with-moss partially hidden stream and never reappear.

Usually, though, we carry our own stuff, but we always stick together as where we usually hike is hardly visited by anyone, so paths are non-existent or often very difficult to find and a certain degree of winging it is required.

Bryian Sheets

@shastafarian

I have a friend that I have backpacked with a few times, usually only for two nights out. On one of these trips, I was in peak shape and also at my lowest base pack weight, sitting around the 8lb mark. I try not to preach the light weight gospel to my friends(too much anyways), realizing that they can only work with what they have and what they can afford. So he ended up carrying between 45 and 50 pounds of gear and food.

On our second day of hiking, it rained for the entire 13 miles we covered, and upon reaching our destination for the day, my friend told me that he had decided if it was going to be any longer he was going to throw his pack down and just camp wherever. Luckily, we made it to our destination. He never mentioned his discomfort before we reached camp, but sang it loud and proud when we arrived.

Luckily, he still likes to backpack and he recently went on a 5 night/6 day trip with me. This time I felt obligated to bring my scale to his house and go through some gear choices. Oh what eye opener that scale was for him…

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

I don't have a problem so much with sharing weight and usually encourage it because I like to push myself and go quickly…Grabbing a few pounds from someone else allows me to push hard(er) without ditching my group.

It only gets frustrating when I go with someone who's clearly fit and takes advantage of my generosity so they don't have to carry as much…I have a friend who carries the same weight as the women when we go out (he carries a tent and food for 2 and that's it). At any point he'll be found dragging at the back regardless of being the strongest in the group…I'm pretty sure he just doesn't like to hike and comes along to humor his girlfriend who enjoys "couples hikes" with us.

Also, gets a bit frustrating with my dad who's got a bad back but is too stubborn/proud to accept my help until he's kept up the 2nd night because he can't get comfortable thanks to his back.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Like Ike, on almost every trip I've taken since 1965, I have carried everyone's gear. On the few exceptions the group size has exceeded 1, I practice the virtue of selfishness.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

Yeah, I do. But, in the end, I think it all boils down to self-interest anyway. Watching someone struggling and not having fun ruins my fun. And if someone should get hurt or become incapable of going on, my trip would obviously be impacted. And I will do anything to avoid having to listen to whining. From my perspective, doing what I can to keep everybody happy and moving is well worth it.

jackpike
    Spectator

@jackpike

I skipped over pages 2 and 3, so apologies if this has already been covered.

Hm. Communism. It depends on how one views "communism." Pack weights (i.e., misery) distributed equally? Weight to each, according to his ability, weight from each according to his need?

For my part, I think communism isn't a helpful metaphor. Compassion at gunpoint isn't compassion. But since I travel backcountry primarily with family, we've found that the stronger carrying more, and the weaker carrying less, only fits.

The note about keeping one's own weights down, that you're able to help if needed, is a good word.

I grew up paddling the BWCAW with groups ranging from 2 to 10. We only ever had one food pack (a *gorgeous* Duluth Kitchen Pack, which I lost in one of my many relocations) which also contained the stove and fuel, and it sucked to be the guy schlepping the food pack on portages. Until the last couple days, then it was a coveted position.

I've carried two packs, one in front, one behind, many times. Life is a constant stream of opportunities to serve one other. Do I love my base weight more than I love you?

Lighting fires, making friends.

Peace,
    Joe

Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools