Topic

The Victorinox Paring Knife Part Deux

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Victorinox Paring Knife Part Deux

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The 3/4oz Victorinox paring knife is one my favorite ultralight finds. The bulk version comes with a simple plastic sleeve and seeing that the serrated blade is razor sharp, a sheath would be a good option. BUT, there is little sense in increasing the weight drastically with a sheath.

Lo' and behold, I was in REI today and looking around the knives and tools, and I spotted the paring knife with a fitted cover. They are calling it a "Little Vickie utility knife."

http://www.rei.com/product/836226/victorinox-little-vickie-utility-knifeLittle Vickie utility knife

$9.00. the knife itself is 0.7oz and the cover adds 0.2oz. These are fantastic knives for food prep and light repairs.

Little Vickie utility knife
    Little Vickie utility knife

That cover also fits my coveted Forschner plain-edged version with a rosewood handle
    Forschner paring knifeForschner paring knife

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Good find.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Thanks. I'll be getting one soon.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I recently got a drill press and bandsaw to start experimenting with Kydex sheaths for these small knives, but this is had to beat if you want to stow it in your pack.

I once adapted a sheath for a Dexter Russell paring knife that had a longer sheath, turning it into a neck knife. 1.8oz with a cord substituted for the chain and tubing.

Dexter 105SC knife with BS-3 sheath

Dexter 105SC knife with BS-3 sheath and neck chain

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Is about an oz. and a very similar tool. Use mine for cutting down food bags, salami, and cheese in the backcountry. Might have to extricate a pair of SAK scissors for a light and useful set.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The WoodsWalker is an excellent light knife and comes with several sheath options. Many small knives suffer from having a handle that is too small for safe and efficient use, but the WoodsWalker is an exception to that. It is happily rather inexpensive for an AG Russell knife.

http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-woodswalker-in-leather-hip-pocket-sheath/p/AGPRS/

Will Webster

@willweb

How well does the blade cover stay on the Victorinex?

I've been carrying one of these when lunch calls for a knife:
    http://kuhnrikon.com/products/tools/tools.php3?id=210
    Nice bright colors, the blade cover stays on, and the handle fits my hand well. 1.4 oz with the sheath, 1.1 oz naked.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

We have a couple Kuhn Rikon knives, with one in the car camping cook kit. Works great.

The cover fit on the Vickie is good. Not good enough for my taste for a neck knife, but it has enough grip to ride well in the pack in the ziplock with my pot and stove. I can hold the knife by the handle and shake it hard and the sheath stays on. I wouldn't put it in my pocket, but I'm chicken that way :). I hazard to guess that you could "adjust" the sheath grip with a heat gun. There is enough room in the tip to drill for a lanyard if you wanted to use it on a neck lanyard.

The Kydex project I have in mind is to make a good "necker" sheath for the Vickie as well as one with a belt loop, and yet another with an uber-minimal edge cover. I doubt I will improve on the weight of the Victorinox offering, and certainly wouldn't improve on the cost.

You can get light enough edge guards in a cook's supply store. Most are too long for a paring knife, but they are easy to cut down.

The real ummmmm point to all this is that you can reach in the kitchen drawer and find a good inexpensive fixed blade knife for food prep and repairs on the trail. The Kuhn Rikon is a good example. Wusthof makes the Silverpoint 4023/8cm which is another 3/4oz example. I got one at TJ Maxx for $8. I like the handle ergonomics a lot.

Wusthof Silverpoint 4023/8cm

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Dale,

Finally got around to getting the Little Vickie. It is everything you said it was. Feels real good. Too light to leave home.

Thanks,

Daryl

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

That's nice.
    I had to make the sheath for mine a few years ago. Used some overhead projector transparency plastioc & some packaging tape, but the moulded Vic one is better.

Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools