Topic

Do you carry redundant backups of critical gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Do you carry redundant backups of critical gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

"When I have been this cold, with hands shaking uncontrollably, I haven't even been able untie my boots. I can't imagine how I would hold a knife with enough dexterity to make fuzz sticks. Even striking a flint, match or using a butane lighter wasn't easily do-able."

Hi Lynn,

You don't actually need any dexterity to split wood and only need a small amount to male "fuzz sticks". But there's fuzz sticks and then there are fuzz sticks. I mean the way I was I taught you have your hand firmly around the handle no fine motor skills required. I know there are "survival" books and videos out there that show fancy and unrealistic fire making techniques. You could argue that any technique that requires fine motor skills is not a legitimate survival technique.
    Even if I was not able to carve good feather sticks its not the end of the world, you can just do the best you can and make a pile of shavings after you split the wood and you still have a good pile of dry shavings even if you can't manage a proper feather stick. So it still works.
    But, no thankfully I have never been truly hypothermic and needed to light a fire under high stress while shaking uncontrollably. But I have lit plenty while cold and uncomfortable with little patience to get a fire going already!
    So I feel pretty confident I could get one going if need be. But its good to practice before your in that situation! Still, I feel its far better than not having a knife or dry tinder with me. There are no guarantees, just risk reduction.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+1 on the when hypothermic you aren't going to have the dexterity to make fuzzy sticks. That was my experience as well.

My redundant / overlapping items:

Fire: the most important to me is to be sure I have a way to start fires. My primary firestarter day to day is a mini-bic lighter which lives in my cook kit. I typically also have a small number of water resistant / wind resistant matches and tinder in my firstaid/emergency bag, and some some sort of fire steel, right now it's a UST Sparkie that typically lives in my pocket. I typically carry some extra fuel (esbits or alcohol) which can be used if i end up wanting to cook something extra or can be a way to quickly get a fire started without having to make a fuzzy stick :)

Water Treatment: I typically use tablets. I bring some extra because they take up almost no room. They can also be the basis of an irrigation wash if someone has a nasty wound.

Sleeping/Clothing Insulation: I bring a quilt or bag which should keep me warm enough to be comfortable (by itself) in expected conditions, and alive in likely worst case situations. I bring clothing that will keep me warm enough while doing low level activities given worst case expected conditions. This means that if everything is dry, I can combine my clothing and sleep gear into a system which keep me comfortable if I get worse case conditions, or alive if one piece of the system gets too wet to function properly.

Battery for camera… because I have found them to be unpredictable.

Map/Compass/Flashlight: I always have a printed map, compass, and flashlight. I also carry my iPhone, which is turned off. The iPhone's primarily a platform for journalling in the evening and reading ebooks… but it has a flashlight app and an GPS app that I pre-cache maps of the areas I will be in. On one trip I dropped my map without realizing it… and used the iPhone for the rest of the trip rather than going back to search for the map.

–Mark

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

This is OT, but something I do (occasionally) is to practice making a fire and pitching my shelter using only my non-dominant hand. This is to 'practice' for the unlikely event that one hand or arm is badly injured and becomes unusable. This is why I prefer a butane lighter or a one hand operated flint fire starter. Using a flint and separate steel with one hand is tricky, but can be done with practice. For me, it's just easier to carry things I can use reliably with one hand, I.C.E. Are strike-anywhere matches still available in the US? I wish I could get my hand(s) on some of those!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

nm

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Lynn, on the first cross-country ski trip of the season, I always ski off on my own, then stop and try to build a fire in the snow. All I allow myself is one butane lighter and one metal Sierra cup. I have to find some burnable wood twigs. The cup is filled with snow, and the fire melts it. As soon as I drink warm water from that, my exercise is done.

–B.G.–

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

I take the matches for the simple reason that they are easier than the firesteel/ tinder method. But I still use the fire steel most. Simply because I like the practice.
    I use the matches when Im in a hurry and just don't feel like using tinder.
    You can light matches one handed but its certainly a pain, maybe I should practice that?
    The reason Im no big fan of lighters is that you burn your hand quickly if you try to light something. A match and certainly tinder can be held longer and even thrown/dropped into some kindling. A butane lighter like the ones made for lighting grills is a good idea because the fire is away from your hand. I would just find a brand that is easy to light or learn how to hack it so the child proofing doesn't make it difficult in a survival situation. I find them a pain to light when at home!
    The reason I like the firesteel more than all others is simply because its the most bomber. Its water proof, hard to break, no moving parts, won't run out and can light a huge variety of natural materials thats only limited by your knowledge and skill set. but, ya a butane lighter is easier and a good idea but I will always have a firesteel as a redundancy.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Lynn–

Diamond makes strike-anywhere matches. I think I found my last batch at the hardware store.

The only thing I will always carry is a backup fire starter. Other redundancies depending on trip and weather are a light source, space blanket, and extra insulation. And extra food, but that's less planned redundancy and more just my eyes being perpetually bigger than my stomach.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

extra days worth of food, fire starter, gloves, socks and sunglasses. I don't go out unless it's pretty cold, preferably with snow on the ground.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools