Topic

Stoic Vaporshell 69% off

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Stoic Vaporshell 69% off

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Doug L
    BPL Member

@mothermenke

Locale: Upstate NY

Not a bad price for a "poor man's eVent" rain jacket:

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-vaporshell-jacket-mens

btw free 2 day shipping on orders over $50

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Jacket @ $40 (with some 1,200 in stock) and 14 oz, Anorak at $83 (and 1,400 in the warehouse) at 13oz, and the pants for $60 (900 in stock) at 10.75oz.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I believe I remember reading that this was not the same material as the one that was tested previously in the SotM, correct?

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Where did you read that, Brett?

Backcountry's website leads me to believe it is the same.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I thought I read it here on BPL after the breathability report came out.

David Ure

@familyguy

Same material only the specs changed to present a more realistic waterproof level. At one time it was a HH of something like 64000 mm but has been refined to 28000 mm, the same as 3 ply eVent. Different testing yields different results. Whatever you do, if you want to layer in, size up.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Unsure what color to get. I was thinking maybe the orange, so I could be seen/found by my buds when in the rain/fog. I have a navy GoLite, but was thinking about different options.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

You'll get different responses to that, because some folks like natural earth tones to blend in or to "stealth camp" but I'm a fan of orange for my shell layer. Earth tones, black, and even blue do a pretty decent job of blending in with the environment. Orange does not and can be seen from a long distance away.

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

get an extra 10% off through mr. rebates. PM me if you want my invite code.

Fantastic jacket.

Derek Kind
    BPL Member

@berethorn

When added to the cart, the price of the men's Vaporshell Jacket is $62.95. The only place where I see $39.95 is in the color/size option dropdown. Is the sale over?

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

may have been a price mistake. Hope they fill my order.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Price went up. The Stoic prices have been fluctuating day-to-day.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Is it me or does it have pit zips now?

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I ordered mine last Wednesday, and paid $39 for it. It arrived yesterday, and it does have pit zips.

I'm 5'10" and 160lbs, and fit of the size large is almost perfect (a little snug on my broad, bony shoulders).

David Ure

@familyguy

4 of us ordered. I haven't received mine yet but was told to size up if you want to layer at all. Normally I wear an XL in everything but went XXL. This jacket is an absolute steal!!!

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Great. I dragged my feet, and it's now back up to $63. Burn…

Anyone have a coupon code?

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Got mine today but it is tight across the shoulders and around the armpits with a XXL. I am only 6'5" and 235#s.

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks for sharing Brett – I am 4" shorter and about 20lbs less and ordered the XXL as well. From what I had read, a size up is definitely in order. Do they make an XXXL or is there even such a thing?

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

nope, stops at xxl. oh well, back to the tumalo

oliver hulland
    Spectator

@oli_h

I jumped at this even though I probably don't need another jacket. I'm 6"3' and 200 (and most of my weight is in my legs) and the L is snug, but very comfortable. I'm actually surprised it fits as well as it does as I have longish arms and a very long torso. Were the sleeves any longer, they'd be too long. As it is, they're great.

I wanted something for warmer months as I have a Patagonia Hardshell for the winter. I wore the Vaporshell jacket the day I got it as we had a massive thunderstorm and I needed to put away the chickens, and found it to be very comfortable. My first thought was that it didn't sweat like my Patagonia or my Marmot. The build is excellent, and the fabric feels tough. With that being said, I've never owned any Arcteryx gear, so I can't comment on that debate.

As far as breathability, it felt very comfortable even in a warm torrential downpour. The hood is also adequately sized.

For those interested in ordering one of these jackets, I would heartily recommend ordering a size up if you plan on layering. Otherwise you should expect a fairly slim fit jacket. I got it in Silt/Grenadine after waffling a bit on color, but am very pleased. The red accent is a nice touch on what would be a fairly plain brown jacket.

The last thing to remember with this jacket is that there are no pockets except one located on the chest. This isn't a big deal for me, but it might bug a few others out there.

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

got mine today. I am 5 ft. 10, around 185. I like a slim fit, so the medium fits me great. I will echo the advice to size up if you want room for layers.

I got the green jacket. Very nice color. Not too bright… just right.

If this really breathes as well as people claim, then for $39, this will be a steal.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Hadron down:
    850 fp down hooded anorak with Pertex Quantam fabric for $62!

Other sizes/colors are $125

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

The vaporshell is now sitting at $51.60. Mr. Rebates is currently offering 10% cashback at Backcountry, bringing the price to $46.44 (with 2 day shipping!).

PM me if you'd like a referral to sign up to Mr. Rebates.

Dash Miller

@dashy

great deal, i missed out

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

They still have a bunch at the $51.60 price.

I ordered one and did the Mr. Rebate thing– pretty cool. It arrived today.

I ordered up a size and I'm glad I did. The XXL fits like XL and isn't too big at all. It is long in the sleeves, but that is good when using trekking poles, IMHO. It feels weird having no hand pockets, but they are useless with a pack belt on. The chest pocket is just right for my glasses, or a compass, lip balm, etc. A *little* bigger wouldn't bother me. I like the fabric feel inside and out– much "dryer" feel and not sticky/clammy. It feels a lot tougher than typical 2.5 layer stuff like Precip. Weight for the XXL is a healthy 15.5oz which should speak for the tougher feel. The cuff adjusters are velcro style, but use a flexible one layer plastic with molded teeth for the hook side. I've had laminated/glued velcro cuff adjusters come part on other jackets, so this may be a step up. This type doesn't feel as sticky, but it isn't a high stress area. Overall, the jacket feels tough with Spartan features, kinda "no nonsense, git 'er done" stuff.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools