Topic

CCF Pads; Coming Soon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals CCF Pads; Coming Soon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Lawson are you out of stock on the pads?

Jack

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

I hope not. I was holding off to order a pad until the mini jars were back in stock. Hate to miss out on the pad.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

It says: "out of stock". I hope it is only temporary. I want to order the 1/8 pad and some dyneema rope.

Lawson, will you be restocking the pads? If so, when?

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I have more sleeping pads coming instock very soon. I should know an instock and ship date by tomorrow. I will be adding 1/4" and 1/2" at the same time. Also the mini jars will be back instock next week..

With that said, is there any interest in a super thin highly durable insulated foam ground sheets? You know in a few sizes for your sleeping pad, bivy, and tent.. I found a foam that has a skin, r rating of .187-.375 depending on thickness, decently lightweight, and very durable. Basically its the stuff they use to make foam gaskets out of. The R.187 sheet would be .0312" (1/32") and weigh 1.44oz sq yard which is lighter then tyvek at 1.60oz sq yard. The R.375 stuff would be double that at .0625" (1/16") 2.88oz sq yard which would be equal to a very good quality 70D PU/Silicone Coated Nylon or an uncoated 200d oxford nylon. I look forward to peoples thoughts on this..

Thanks,
    Lawson

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

The idea of a lightweight insulated ground sheet sounds good, but I'd be concerned mostly about the bulk of it. I have a polycro groundsheet that folds up and I keep it in a sandwich ziplock…

Would you have to roll the gasket material or could it be folded multiple times without cracking or tearing? You might find that your market for this product is people who use CCF pads because they're already rolling them.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

I recently started bringing along the exped multimat on my trips after years and years of using inflatables alone. I fold it over once and roll it up like a burrito to frame out my pack more. It only affects my bulk if I am trying to go extra low volume like the golite ion. I like having the foam backup after having my POE delaminate on me on a winter camping trip. I can always fold the pad over 4 times for a decent r value torso mat if things get dire.

Robb Watts
    BPL Member

@rwatts

Locale: Western PA

Lawson, I'm in for a 1/2" pad.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Got hold of a few 1/8" pads. They are nice. They're still in the package but I did pull on one hard enough to easily rip the other 1/8" pads I have and it didn't even begin to be stressed to the ripping point.

I would still really like a 30" wide 1/8" pad.

I do a lot of cowboy camping and having a 30" wide pad on the bottom with a 1/2" torso on top works perfect for me.
    It keeps you bag clean and lets you roll from side to side without getting dirty.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

How does a 36" wide x 48" long x 1/8" thick pad sound? I was going to be adding this size since a few hammock campers asked for something shorter and wider.

Update: The pads should be instock on Friday which means they will ship Monday.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Hey Lawson It's no big deal and I'm not in a rush but I received some items today and I'm assuming the pad ships separately? Because I did not receive it even though it was listed on your invoice.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I just wanted to give everyone another shipping update. If you ordered a sleeping pad with other items they are being shipped separately, however both packages are shipping out the same day.. But for some reason USPS is holding onto some of the sleeping pads at one of their sort facilities for a few extra days… I called and talked to several people and even they can't figure out why this is happening. So with that said they seem to be arriving about 1-3 days later then your other package. Sorry for the delay and any trouble this causes.. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the business,
    Lawson

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I might be up for a big ground sheet pad for my car camping tent. It'd nicely mask rocks and make walking around the tent a little less cold on my feet.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Well since we are all making wishes to the pad fairy. I wish for a torso length pad that is one inch thick on one side tapering to 1/4 inch on the other. If I had two of them I could stack them to get about one and half inches of leveling from side to side. If I ever did get a level camp site (it could happen) I could flip one to make a level 1" pad. Having two pads means they would roll up for packing as a cylinder rather than cone. Hear me ole pad fairy and bringith forth the levevarest!

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Hi Lawson,

I'd be interested in something similar to the Exped Multimat, ie a 72" x 48" if that's and option. This would be pretty versatile as a ground sheet, a full wrap for a Neo or UL Synmat, a doubled mat for 1/4" thickness, or for me as an emergency wrap for SAR. If it doesn't work the way I plan, I can cut into three torso lengths or two full lengths.

Any chance?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

David, that's a good one! I'd also slice one up for insoles to help my ankles out when they get tired.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I'd do full length 36×96. In winter, it'd be nice to ditch the polycro groundsheet for a 1/8" padded groundsheet. Hammock makers can order one and cut it in half. Others can order one and cut it down to their desired groundsheet size.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

And all this time I was thinking my 25 inch width pad was wide…

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Its not the size of your pad, its the comfort it provides.

:)

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

I totally agree with Rod Lawlor. Super wide like multimat so can even double as small tarp/blanket. All in one solution.

Nick G

@hermesul

I did a quick calculation based on my spreadsheet/R value obsessiveness and found that when the weight savings over a Polycryo groundcloth is accounted for, the thinner width of insulated groundcloth is more weight-efficient than almost any pad (third to the Thermarest XTherm and the Exped Downmat 7).

This makes me officially interested. However, bulk is a potential game changer. I'd use it in Winter only, but my winter pack bulk is a serious issue.

What about a space-blanket type reflector that took care of radiating heat rather than just convective?

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

I think a good combo for that would be to laminate a Heat Sheets emergency blanket to the Evarest pad of the thickness you want.
    That minimizes bulk, and the Heat Sheets reflective material is more robust and resistant to tears than the cheap mylar space blankets.

Just cut the Heat Sheets reflective layer to fit the Evarest pad in the size you want.
    They should probably laminate together well if you use some of that 3M Spray Adhesive, and be real good at laying it on the first time, because you'll only get one chance.
    It may be best to use an oversize piece of Heat Sheets material, glue it to the Evarest pad, and then trim off the excess later.

They will roll up together in basically the same size as the Evarest pad rolls up to.

Theoretically, that should make a pretty effective combo for the thickness involved.

I personally would put the Heat Sheets reflective barrier layer on the bottom(with the silver side facing up toward your body and the orange side down facing the ground), because those things like to have a little bit of room between them and your body, to work best.
    It would also protect the Evarest pad to a greater degree.

Rob Daly
    BPL Member

@rdaly-2

Locale: outdoors amap

Any estimate as to when these will be available again?

EDIT, I just read your previous post that they should be available tomorrow, cool.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

They are Back Instock!

I added 1/4", 1/2" and Full 48" wide x 74" long sheets of 1/8" foam.

Thanks,
    Lawson

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

You are going to fell some loven from my wallet.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Congratulations, Lawson, on the 200th post (all supportive) in this thread. I don't think any thread I've started on BPL ever exceeded 1/10 of that number of responses. If you could just find a mill that will turn out small batches of sub-1oz pure dyneema fabrics for you to vend to the MYOG community, I bet you could set a new BPL thread size record.

I ordered two of the 1/2" pads a couple of days ago, and plan to cut them down to mummy shape and stack them for winter use.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 237 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools