Topic

Mosquito Headnet recommendations??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mosquito Headnet recommendations??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I can't get the BPL or Peter's anymore and, before I go to REI for a quick fix, what do you wise BPLers suggest? I spent the weekend at five lakes basin two weeks ago and the bugs were out in full force. I don't expect next week's trip to desolation wilderness to be any better so …. What do you use? Thanks in advance. -B

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I was going to recommend Peter. What's going on there? Site is up. If you really can't get one from him.

I have one from him with an open crown and one with a closed top. PM me I'd hate for you to lose your sanity.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Since I always have a brimmed hat along (Celtic ancestary and UV at 10,000 feet, you know), I used the lightest, simplest version with no brim or wire stays. Just a mesh bag with a drawstring a the neck worn over a brimmed hat. The hat brim keeps it away from your face.

30 years ago, we'd get army surplus ones into the BPing store. You could tell the ones from the British Army because there was a button hole sewn in at mouth height to accomodate a pipe stem.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

4 foot diamter circle of netting. Works if you have brimmed hat.

You can also put that over your head when sleeping

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

And while Jerry's larger piece of netting weighs a bit more than stitched bag,

(1) netting weighs very little,
    (2) it can be useful at night as he notes,
    (3) the folds of 3 layers of nettings help keep the netting off your face.

You only have to fiddle with it a bit to get a single layer of netting without folds in front of your eyes.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

I read on here that the website was down and Peter was selling on eBay, I did not see any there so I posted this thread. Turns out that must have been old info. I found the site and sent the email to initiate an order. Will let you know if it doesn't go smooth/quickly. I do not expect any issues, though. Thanks.

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

The Sea to Summit head net is simple, fits over a wide brim hat and works well. Specs says it weighs 1.2 ounces, my scale say just under an ounce.
    http://www.rei.com/product/780999/sea-to-summit-head-net

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

My brother had to call Peter to order one.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Katy, Thanks for the tip. Mark, appreciate the heads up. Had a buggy time at grouse ridge/five lakes basin in the Tahoe area two weeks ago. Heading to Donner Summit/Mount Judah this weekend and don't want to make the same mistake. Might need to hit up REI while I wait on PH to get my mail/call.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I use one of these – 23g – but then I need to keep out the marauding Scottish midge..

http://www.midgie.net/

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

From Peter's website, "Here it is the 7th of July, and we are currently shipping nets based upon orders finalized 2 days ago."

Sounds like you shouldn't have to wait too long once you get in touch with him. I have the BPL version and it saved me on my last trip. First time I had to use it.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I have used the OR Spring Ring headnet for years. I took out the "ring" and it weighs about 0.8 oz. The fabric is pretty tough.

Thayne N
    BPL Member

@teethless

Locale: Four Corners

I can recommend Peter's! Great service, great product, great price. If you email him, he'll get back to.

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

Agreed, dealing with Peter Vacco Head Nets was a pleasure, everything that is good about cottage industry. His stuff is very well crafted, easily worth the $15 I'd say, detailing is excellent.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Peter Vacco Head Nets: They are made from tulle, larger holes than most headnets, breathes better and it easier to see through them. Mosquitoes and black flies can't get through it. I highly recommend Peter's.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

+1000 on Peter's headnets. They are awesome!

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

I ordered 1 month ago and got it within one week (I live in Israel).
    Can't be happier!
    Peter's headnet! Period.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Mine is a simple headnet BUT it has elastics that go under my arm pits to hold the net down and keep bugs from getting underneath. If your head net doesn't heve these you can easily add them.

This has worked very well for me for years. I use a hat under it to keep the netting off my face and neck.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

So I just got an email reply to my email from Monday stating that, with any luck, my headnet has already arrived. He went ahead and sent the net I requested by email and indicated that satisfied customers usually send payment to his address or paypal address. What a wonderful business approach. I went ahead and paid, though I was welcome to go home, check my mail, and try it out first. I have a trip planned this weekend and, thanks to Peter, I'll be bug free (at least around my face and head). I was concerned, we'd correspond, then I'd pay, then he'd ship, etc. Not at all. Get you some.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools