Topic

Dyeing backpack with RIT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Dyeing backpack with RIT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sean Griffin

@griffins

Hello everyone,

I recently attempted to dye my GG Gorilla with black RIT dye. I used 3 gallons of boiling water and one bottle of RIT dye for an hour. Like some of the other reports I have read, it came out slightly purplish. You can really tell the difference when comparing it to the black on the bottom of the pack.

My question is, will dyeing it further (once again) or with more dye have any effect? Or, is the dye transfer that I have right now about where I will end up?

Thanks for your input.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You did not use enough dye. I bottle per pound minimum. Try again. Don't forget to set the dye with cold, cold water. You will have to give it a serious rinse to ensure no dye transfer to your clothes.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I agree with Ken's advice, although I've never found RIT to be reliable. Browns often come out red and the black dye often produces a dyed article that is purple or bluish. If you're willing to spend a little more money, I would recommend trying a dye from Pro Chemical and Dye (http://www.prochemicalanddye.com/home.php). Their disperse, washfast acid, and lanaset dyes will produce a deep, dark, predictable color that won't wash out or transfer to your clothes and it will resist UV fading better than RIT.

I used the PCD washfast acid dye to make a black and white patterned piece of nylon solid black. I was sure the white areas would still be a little visible. They aren't. It came out solid black and all of the excess dye rinsed out in the first rinse (the water was clear on the second rinse). Rinsing out RIT dye is a long process, and you'll never get it all out. It will continue to leach out for days or weeks afterward.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Use a touch of yellow (the opposite of purple on the color wheel) to cancel out the purple. It helps to have a test piece of fabric to see how much to use, but this will cut down the purple.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools