Topic

Just Ordered My New Rev X Quild

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Just Ordered My New Rev X Quild

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Travis Brown

@jukebox

Locale: Austin

I'm pretty stoked about this. I've been waiting for Go-Lite to restock their quilts, but recently found the Enlightened Equipment thread on here. They got such rave reviews and they were so affordable I pulled the trigger. I ordered a 6' Rev X 30 degree wide 30% overfill. Now let the waiting begin! Oh yeah, its Olive Green outside and Olive brown inside.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Congrats! I have one the same colors only its a winter weight quilt. You can see pictures of it here. (scroll to the middle of the page) You'll love it.

ROB WHELAN

@threepoint

I am in love with my Rev X……

I ordered the same specs except went with the 20 degree. Given the overfill as well, it's probably good to lower than I will ever likely need.

Without knowing where you are located, I think the 30 degree with overfill will offer tremendous flexibility – enjoy!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

very glad you guys are enjoying your gear!

-Tim

Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

I have at least 85 nights under my rev x and couldn't be happier. It's one of my favorite and most versatile pieces of gear…I can use it in the house, in a hostel, on the trail and so on. Not even a hint of wear n tear so far.

Troy Hawkins
    BPL Member

@ollyisk

Locale: Germany

Just wanted to echo everyone else's sentiments…great quilt. Mine has seen most of Europe :)

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

What about the bad stuff? Anybody have complaints or concerns? Anything not working the way you wish it would? Ideas for improvement?

I'm glad you guys love them but I really like the negative feedback, it helps me dial it in even tighter.

Changes due to customer feedback:

Half taper. I designed the first half taper quilts after an out cry for quilts made for side sleepers. Straight taper and arc quilts are lighter so many companies still choose them but half taper offers much better coverage and you can see some other companies have followed with this cut as well

Footbox extension, I used to have a 26" footbox zipper. It was to long when it was hot and too short when it was cold. A customer suggested a 20" and a snap at 6" and 12" above, it gave us the best of both worlds and I have been doing it since.

Side webbing tabs. We recently changed the layout of our side webbing tabs from loop to funnel. This was in response to complaints about cords slipping and being hard to insert. Attached cords will always be better for this but less flexible. Now we use a funnel shape that inserts easier and resist slippage better

Who has the next improvement?

-Tim

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

1st let me say, you do fantastic work and I love my quilt, getting ready to order another one. This is not a complaint so much as a suggestion. I would like to see if it is possible to move the draw string at the top around your shoulder ie.. instead of in the middle, can it be put to one side, left or right. I find when I cinch it up tight that there is so much cord left over that it tends to get in the way of my face, caught on an ear, caught on my beanie, stuff like that.

Thanks Tim, and keep up the good work.

Jack

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I hear ya jack,

What do others think? I tend to pull any extra cord inside the quilt because I don't want it in my face. I'll have to build one with it offset and see how it works

Keep um coming

-Tim

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

My Golite Ultra20 drawcord is offset and I much prefer it to one in the center for the reasons mentioned above. The cord sometimes finds its way to an inconvenient place anyway, but less of a nuisance than a center cord.

Tim it says a great deal about your character that you seek ANY AND ALL feedback, but especially in a public forum. Many props to you Brother!

Todd

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Thanks Todd,

I really will have to test the offset cord. Jack, if you do order another ask for offset and even if I don't change it across the board you can have it on yours.

I try hard to be transparent, that means with my successes and my failures. We've sold almost 500 quilts since Oct2011 and this has put us in front of so many more people than the few a month I was making before. I want to take advantage of that knowledge and use it to make our gear better wherever I can. I've never really seen myself as an inventor with new ideas but as an innovator combining all the best ideas Into one product. It gets better with every tweak

-Tim

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Here's a contrary opinion … I use one or both of two MYOG quilts depending on expected low temperatures, first one made has the drawcord hole centered and the later is offset.

I'm a restless sleeper who switches from back sleeping to side sleeping (both sides) about every 90 minutes. I find it best to loosen the cord somewhat before shifting and tighten it afterwards.

While I agree that the center cord can bother my face when on my back, that can be mitigated by keeping the excess cord inside the quilt. The offset cord is difficult to reach when laying on my side opposite the drawcord (it's behind my neck)

Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

You know, come to think of it the draw cord bugs me ever so slightly……almost not at all. The only problem is that I'm a stomach sleeper, so it's a little awkward, but I really don't care.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Maybe I could just make it users choice, doesn't change much for my sewers as we build everything to order anyway. Must think

-Tim

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I think it could be a good option to offer if it doesn't complicate the construction for you too much.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

How does it work with one cord and lock since the two ends aren't the same. I'm assuming it pulls hard to the short side

-Tim

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Another question—-how is the feedback on the 10D (formerly known as EightD) for downproofness? Paul at Thru-hiker commented on another thread that he didn't think it would handle well. What have you seen so far?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

He was talking about the laundering cycle test which was never meant for fabrics this light. I don't think anyone treats fabrics this light that rough. I expect it to last well when treated like what if us, extremely lightweight nylon. Spines will poke through at some point but just snip the spine and push the rest back in. Rub the hole and it will close. Our down has very few spines so I don't expect much leakage.

My buddy ripped his but it was on a jaged piece of metal poking in his pack, it would've tore anything. He's not the most careful.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Thanks for the clarification.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

"How does it work with one cord and lock since the two ends aren't the same. I'm assuming it pulls hard to the short side"

It's actually two cords: a short cord on the side where the cord "comes out" and a longer one attached to the opposite side. Both come out of the same cordlock. Does that make sense? (I hope it does:) )

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

So now I need to buy two hole cord locks?! You guys are killing me ;)

How is it with the end of the cord hanging out? I'm assuming they use and end nub instead of just a knot and melted tip, more crap I have to buy huh.

I'll try it on one and see what I think.

-Tim

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

The cord lock on mine has just one hole, and a knot is tied in the cord.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I was just bustin balls.

I'm gonna get one built to test and see what I think

-Tim

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

It does pull hard on the short cord side with an offset drawcord. Maybe put the same length cord on both sides of the drawcord exit so that they end up at the same place/snugness. Seems the user wouldn't have to fool with pulling more on the long side's cord this way. I haven't tried that, but I think it would work.

Ryan

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Tim, any way to save weight over buying a wide quilt by using extra material on the sides of the regular instead of a full spread quilt? Would this work to trap heat, but lose weight? Trying to get things to the point that I would pull the trigger, but also wanting to save more than a few oz. from the weight of replacing my 1.5 lb., WM Caribou bag that I use as a side sleeper, 6', 160-165 lbs for summer use in the Sierra Nevada.
    Duane

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools