Topic

Just Ordered My New Rev X Quild

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Just Ordered My New Rev X Quild

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I'm not a big believer in quilt wings. To me it seems if you need the width to block drafts you need it to be insulated because one layer of nylon between you and the cold won't do much.

-Tim

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Thank you, it'd only be used in the summer, temps lowest in the Sierra to the upper 20's. Most of the time.
    Duane

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Tim, I have two of your quilts and absolutely love them. A 20F overstuff wide X and a 8d/8d 40F wide Rev. The only thing I've been able to come up with as an improvement would be to do away with the elastic cords and cord locks you include and just swe elastic straps in place of the loops, each with a snap similar to the very top one by the neck. That way you don't have to bother with carrying the extra cord and locks and then finding them in the middle of the night, cinching the quilt up tight is built right in.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I'm surprised this wasn't the first one.

I don't include attached straps because I know a lot of people don't use them at all. That said I'd love to find a better solution that is still removable and light.

I've considered a snap on version of the webbing or flat elastic and flat buckle but it is heavy and those buckles always break on me. Ive also considered the flat webbing with a buckle on each side to make it removable but those dang things just break on me.

Ideas?

-Tim

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Tim I really like the way Katabatic does it
    Could you do something similar?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Their system is great, I was thinking that their buckle was exclusive and a key part of their design. Any ideas how to accomplish the same thing without custom hardware?

-Tim

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Neck Drawcord: A drawcord on the inside of the quilt would be more useful than one on the outside. When I want the cord loosened or tightened, my hands are almost always inside of the quilt.

Neck Drawcord: A collar or padded tube of some sort that runs between the cord and your neck would be comfortable, especially when sleeping without insulated clothing.

Strap system similar to Katabatic: Not to infringe on what I think was Aaron's brilliant pad connection idea, but a poor man's version could be improvised with mitten clips or maybe a mini biner attached to the quilt and prussic loops tied to a line wrapped around a sleeping pad.

Justin Wade
    BPL Member

@jujawa

Locale: Los Angeles

Just thought I'd share that I just got the shipping info for two EE quilts I ordered. One is a 6' Rev X 40* wide w/overstuff. The other is a 6'6" Rev 20* wide w/overstuff. Should be here next week, I can't wait!

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

My revelation 20* wide is on its way too. USPS says Monday! Pretty quick considering Tim originally thought I'd have it mid August when I first ordered.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Finished one with an offset cord. I really hate it. You have to figure out which side to pull on and once it is all snugged up it just moved an inch or two anyway and the cord was still in my face so I just pulled it inside like I always do. I appriciate the feedback on this one, you guys made me take notice. I just don't think this one is for me. Anybody who wants it on theirs can just email me and we'll take care of it though.

-Tim

Rob Daly
    BPL Member

@rdaly-2

Locale: outdoors amap

Ideas for improvement?

Not really an improvement but, how about matching down hoods for some of your quilts?

Btw, I've really liked my Rev X quilt during the 2 outings I've used it so far. It's been warmer than warm.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Here's what I did to improve on the cords: I used the cordlocks provided, but pushed a loop through the cordlock (tried to thread from the end and couldn't make it work but pushing a loop through did). I then attached mitten hooks that I got from Quest Outfitters to the loop on either end to hook to the loop on the quilt. Haven't had a chance to use it on the trail yet, but looks like it should work well.
    Only 1 additional piece of plastic, still lightweight.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I've considered the mitten hooks too and could easily go that way. I really want to keep the amount of hardware under the sleeper to a minimum.

I used to use cord loops instead of webbing loops. I'm going to try it again. The thinking is it will hold the lock better when under tension with less chance of slipping then with the web loops. Will let you know how it goes.

-Tim

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

That might work better, Tim. I just kept waking up and having to fuss with the cordlocks, then later would wake up and find that they had popped out again.

I haven't actually used the quilt in really cold temps, so it really hasn't been an issue yet. The last few trips, I've just snapped the snap at the neck, which has wrapped the quilt around me well enough at the relatively warm temps I was using it at (52 degrees the lowest I've seen this season). However, we're planning a trip at the end of September where we'll be sleeping at 5940 feet, so we will eventually see cooler temps.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools