Topic

10oz camp stool

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 10oz camp stool

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Chad Webster

@blaktee

Locale: Targhee National Forest

http://campspecialties.com/hiking_stool.htm

has anyone heard of this stool or tried it. For 10oz it might be killer at the end of the day. Have you heard of anything that weighs less. what do you use for a chair?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Interesting. I usually find a log or rock.

Sometimes a picnic table too.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

pretty light if the specs are accurate. Looks like you might be sitting with your knees up high in a strange way. I use a 6 oz. thermarest compack chair with my pad. I like to be able to stretch my legs out and have back support. The logs and rocks are never in the right place for me to use comfortably.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use a hammock. You can sit and lay down. With few more accessories, spent the night in it. You will need a couple {{{{{{{trees}}}}}}}}}. Far more comfortable than those wobbly little stools :)

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

I thought really seriously about picking one of these up. 13" seat height seemed questionable, so I found an object about that high and sat on it. What I found was that *for me* with a 32" inseam, it was the most awkward knee bend ever. Exacerbated by working with things on the ground, like a stove. It would likely be pretty nice for putting on shoes, though.
    They make one that's 16" tall and 14 oz, but that weight it becomes a true luxury item, and I'd probably just sit on the ground instead for anything but low-mileage, 'chillin out' trips.

It is nice and light, and price right though.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I recently purchased a Gossamer Gear pack and the sit-light pad they use with nearly all their packs is so useful. I am a complete convert. I planned to discard it and use a deflated thermarest pro-lite in the pad slip, but my test hike was not going to a long one. So I brought both along. I used it on rocks and logs as a seat, input it under my feet to make up for my 3/4 length sleep pad, and I used it as a kneeler to get items from inside mt tent and to change my clothes. Truly a multiple use item that also served very well as a fre support. My hiking buddy who is a thru hiker with the CT, JMT, and other long datance trips under his trail runners, carries a little yellow gardening pad (with a handle cut-out in one end), and now I see why. I am also interested in the Jembe seat TR makes for my Neo, but have no need for it yet. Plus the Neo seems too frail for sitting on while tightly rolled. I used to carry the 6 oz. chair kit too, but I havent now here for a few years.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Those folding stool are light for stools and I am encouraged by the construction details they provide. The 10 ouncer is too low for me, however, and the 14 ouncer is just a hair lighter than my REI stool that's got a feature they don't have (but that RULES): wide feet/bases to minimize post-holing with the stool.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

I've used the 14 ounce stool for years. I'd say I probably use it on less than 25% of my overnights, but when I do take it, I really appreciate the comfort at the campsite, especially when the ground is wet. It is a luxury of course, but once in a while it's nice to have. Many of us have base weights so ridiculously low that a few ounces of luxury are hardly noticeable.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

A lot heavier at 18 oz but the Sling Light chair is by far the most comfortable camping chair I've tried. I have back issues and it's great to be able to sit comfortably in a chair with back support at the end of the day. For me, it's well worth the weight penalty.

http://slinglight.com/sl/

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I have two of the higher versions. I think I got them at Campmore(?)

When lightest weight is not the issue, I have brought these. A couple caveats, though.
    1) Typically, you will try to sit on one of the corners with just one leg supporting the front of the chair. Yet, mostly, your weight is on that one leg, since I just bring a stool, not a chair. So, Bent over and sitting makes the one leg really dig into the ground. Better is to sit a little awkwardly at first, on the edge with a stool leg under each peron leg. This helps to keep them from digging in.
    2) After a half hour or so, they get uncomfortable, regardless of what way you sit. So, you move a bit to alleviete this. This makes them dig in, potentially making the stools unstable. Watch out for that.
    3) The carry strap is useless. Cut it off and save a half ounce or so.
    4) At 250 lbs, they are relativly light duty. I check the legs before I go around the rivet. They seem to hold up well though. So far no real cutting into the tubes or signs the rivet is loosening. About 500-700mi on them.
    5) The seats are heavy duty, but, not waterproof. Knock them down and turn them over at night, else they can be cold when you sit if they are wet… They *will* hold a puddle and saturate the fabric.

Since I only take these when I am canoeing, weight is not really an issue. But for the pair, plan on an extra two pounds. For the convenience, they are worth it for not having to bend to get your shoes on, for sitting around the camp fire, and for sitting under your tarp while cooking. They also help load the pack by holding it for you and while changing cloths(sleeping cloths->day cloths); they keep things off the wet ground. At night, I turn it over and hang my socks(one leg and center) and shoes (one on each stool leg. They dry quicker/better if they are off the ground.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I currently carry a Thermarest Lightseat which weighs 3 ounces. It's great and works well on rocks and logs nicely – and it works especially well if you find yourself at a picnic table for a meal.

I'm going to order one of the 14-ounce models. Sixteen inches off the ground will, I believe, be pretty comfortable and I'm looking at just an 11-ounce increase in pack weight.

Thanks to the OP for letting us know about these!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Hey, Kevin, the stool length is not the stool height. Check that before you get one.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

James,

Thanks – the 14-ounce model is 23" long and then stands 16" high, at least according to the website. For $24 it's worth it to me to give it a try. If I don't like it I'll put it with my car camping stuff.

andrew brown

@abrown3mtg

Locale: High Rockies

Mine came in under the 18 oz claimed weight, but I love this chair…. Keeps you off the ground, decent back support, can sit on it like a stool when cooking, or lounge back. If you don't like to "balance" a bit, lean it up against a pack, log, or rock…. I wasn't sure about it at first, but fewer bugs climb up on me, and when the ground is wet, it's been a pleasure….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools