Topic

Has anyone used these?…please chime in: Insect Repellent Bracelets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Has anyone used these?…please chime in: Insect Repellent Bracelets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

I just learned of them today. Bug Bam is one brand. I find mixed reviews online of course.
    if you have experience worth reporting, please do.

Brian
    whose son [pictured] woke him up at 3.33am w/ 3 bites itchin like crazy, ugh.

Jay L
    BPL Member

@jjlash

I cant comment on the effectiveness as a bug repellant, but I can tell you that you want to be careful…I had a Scout wear one at summer camp a few years back. He left it on when he went to bed and woke up in the morning with what appeared to be a chemical burn on his face from sleeping with his head on the arm with the bracelet. Dont have any idea of the brand

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

Every once in awhile some comes up with a wearable repellant. So far none that I have seen tested work. The latest is Off's clip on. Consumers found it completely ineffective. Even funnier, it warns to avoid inhaling vapors, the very thing it is suppose surround your body with.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Most of these don't work.
    If any do work they're dangerous.
    Think of flea collars for cats and dogs. They do work, but they are not approved for human use.
    Use DEET or one of the natural repellents (less effective) or cover yourself with clothing and netting.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I agree. My daughter got some three weeks ago for a camping trip. The only usefull thing about them was they clamped my long sleeved shirt(permethrin dipped) around my arm. The hand with the bracelet was NOT deeted for several hours…I got three mosquito bites and a black fly bite. The other hand (deet applied via spray) got none.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools