Topic

Socks for hot weather

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Socks for hot weather

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Jaiden .

@jaiden

I'm looking for some warm weather socks for the trip I'm planning to disney world in florida in a few months. My feet get hot and sweaty, so I find that cotton is uncomfortably clammy. I know it's a personal preference issue, but I'm wondering what the consensus is between a thin smartwool and some kind of synthetic.

These will double as warm/hot weather hiking socks, in the same vented trail runner shoes i'm taking to florida. Ideally, I'd like something in a mini crew in a plain color (white, offwhite light grey) for best utility.

Thoughts?

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Have you tried the Injinji socks? They're Coolmax, and seamless. My feet tend to sweat a lot too, and tend to blister, no matter what the sock. I used to get blisters with cotton socks during basketball, and even with good socks while hiking.

I have begun using the Injinji socks for longer hikes and basketball, and I have had happy feet.

http://tinyurl.com/2tonm4

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

Locale: Arizona

I've been wearing Injinji socks for a while now and love them. They're thin, cool, and the chance of getting blisters anywhere near my toes is long gone!

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

I suggest sizing up if you are close to the upprer suggested limit and ordering online. I wear 12.5 D's and my L (M11-13) were a bit small. I may try a XL but have a feeling the toe type socks are not for me.

The right shoes and socks for each person are so importnat; plan on trying many brands in your quest..

-Ron

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

In summer, I wear low-cut Coolmax socks that I bought at one of the big sporting goods stores, in the running shoe area.

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Jaiden,

How about a pair of sandals and no socks? Seems to me thats cooler than any shoe/sock combination. I'd recomend a leather version since that will significantly reduce the stink.

Eins

matthew hart

@jomatty

of all the socks ive tried i like the plain old under armour wicking socks for things that i do not need cushioning or warmth. i just find that they keep my feet dry better than the other brands ive tried, even the pricier ones that i prefer for hiking when i want some padding.

i also second the vote for sandals. or get a hybrid shoe like the keen taos or boulder. you can wear them with or without socks (cured me to my aversion of socks with sandals) and you can go on water rides and to the water park without worrying about getting em wet. i love mine, not only for water type shoes, but also for hiking and even rock climbing (i have the boulder which i prefer because i like to get em wet and dont want the leather)

have a great trip, i just saw a show last night about the new animal kingdom thing they made and it looked incredible. had my son begging for a vacation to DW.

matty

Anonymous
    Inactive

Joe and Chad-which model of Injinji socks do you use, Performance, Comfort, Outdoor, etc?

John Hopkins

@drgonzo

Locale: Southeast

I would try a cycling type sock with a mesh upper. My favorite sock is a Smartwool with mesh top, thin bottom, and low cut. It dosnt give much cushion, but with tennis type shoes you dont need it.

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Thorlo's Coolmax Light Hikers have been my favorite summer socks in the hot humid terrain I know here in Tennessee. They are just a bit thicker than most other Coolmax socks I know, but they still feel cooler to me, and control moisture better than the much thinner ones such as Wigwam's Ultimax line. Their Coolmax Trail Runners are the sme thickness with a mini-crew length. Their ankle length running socks are a thinner Coolmax, but they come in white.

Benjamin Tomsky

@btomsky

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'm a big fan of the SmartWool Ultra Light Mini-Crew Bike Socks for warm weather hiking.

I use them for for my summer thru hiking and highly recommend them…

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Ben and John, I love those socks! I wear them every day when it's warm enough. My size large weigh 1.4 oz (40 g). Great recommendation.

Trent Hignight

@th_ignitus

Locale: Tokoyo-3

My all-time favorite: Smartwool Adrenaline Lt. Mini Crew.
    Done everything these, in a wide range of temps (cool to really hot). So comfortable. I always wear these with lightweight running shoes, that breathe well.

-Trent

Jaiden .

@jaiden

OK I ordered a few pairs of the smartwool ultra light biking mini crews. I looked at the recommended thorlos, but they didn't have a color I liked. I got a black/grey which will look OK with shorts and shoes as well as with my business casual work wear.

I should put in a word for the vendor, sockcompany.com since I've ordered from them a couple of times before, and they have EVERYTHING smartwool 15% off. They have a huge selection, and in my limited experience, good response.

thanks for the recommendations. I welcome any further comments, as I may end up trying others as well.

John Hopkins

@drgonzo

Last year an outfitter employee told me that he preferred Wigwam over Smartwool becasue the quality in smartwool had gone down. I dont know the validity of this, but there may be some truth to it. I buy most of my socks as seconds at sierra trading or campmor, and I have never had a problem with them.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

If you were to troll around a bike website like nashbar you will find 154 socks ranging from $13.95 to $2.99 in wool, coolmax,a neoprene,polypropylene, … most are in quarter length and there is a huge variety of patterns and colors.
    Another sock I've been real pleased with is the darn tough quarter sock.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

i have the coolmax socks right now:
    low
    mid-calf

i use these for running, basketball, and hiking.

i also want to get the warmer, "outdoor" ones.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

A combination of Injini Toe Socks and Darn Tough 1/4 socks are my summertime favorite.

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

Locale: Arizona

Tom – I wear the Injinji Tetratsok Mini Crew Socks, available from REI.

Levan Argvliani

@tobuldar

Locale: Georgia

I have so sad experience about hiking sock. got horrable blisters on feet this summer, since then I read reviews and post on net. right socks are so important as proper boots.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

For me, I have found that if you footwear is properly fitted you will not get blisters.

I used to wear leather boots, and a thin liner and wool sock worked best in hot weather (desert hiking).

Since I switched to trail runners, a liner is usually not needed, but a liner does keep my feet a little cleaner when hiking on dusty trails. I have all kinds of merino wool socks, made by many different manufacturers. It really does not matter which I use. They all work well. I just grab the pair that has floated to the top of my hiking sock drawer.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

It depends how hot it is out. I wear Chacos pretty much all of the time and I will go with some thin poly dress sock type ones or Icebreaker makes some really thing wool ones.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

For summer, I wear the toe sock liners. They're cool, provide sufficient toe protection, and weight next to nothing.

Stargazer

Levan Argvliani

@tobuldar

Locale: Georgia

I did solo tour this summer, Tbilisi – Ushguli 575 km – 357 miles. then unfortunately I had no idea how important is proper hiking socks.
    I wore just ordinary synthetic socks and deserve terrible blisters. then changed to 100% cotton socks. they were really soft but got no relief.
    I think wool socks is the best solution. (maybe inside one pair of liners – but I dont know which material – fiber is better)

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Locale: Alaskan

I really like the Defeet Leviatator lite with one inch cuff. These are non cushioned very similar to a cycling sock. A pair in XL weighs just over an ounce at 31g. As long as the shoes are comfortable and fit properly and the conditions are not cold a non padded sock works great for me.

When I stop to get water and eat a snack I will remove my shoes and socks if my feet are sweaty. They will usually dry out within seven or eight minutes when I put them back on.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools