Topic

Trinity Alps June 2012

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Trinity Alps June 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

I agree with Chad, Summit lake is really the only place to camp out of the four lakes. We were there in pretty hot temps, and Summit has a few trees to offer shade. That being said, Diamond is the true gem up there!Diamond

Neil Stollman

@doctorlo

tommy / chad: thanks much both for your insight
    guessing mid-september is a good time for that area?

Chad Anderson

@kiddzoso

Locale: N. California

I was there around August 18 last year and the color contrast was very striking with, what I was told, was one of the best wildflower displays in years. (It looked very much like Tommy's above picture). I'm not sure if it will look the same in mid-Sept, but, on the other hand, the lower elevations will likely be more pleasant. At the trailhead it was definitely around 90 when I started, and some cooler temperatures would have been very welcome. I think you should be good-to-go.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A bunch of BPLrs will be out that way the 28th-30th of Sept. Full Moon weekend. We'll be camping in Bowerman Meadow. Join us if your trip gets delayed.

Bryian Sheets

@shastafarian

I can't wait! Finally, next week, I will be on a 5 night loop hike, leaving from the swift creek trailhead. I don't mean to hijack a thread, but I don't see too many people talking about the Trinity Alps, and I am just too darn excited to stay silent.

We will be taking our time…visiting bear basin, black basin, the deer creek drainage, the four lakes loop and granite lake, then back out to Swift Creek trailhead.

I have been looking forward to this trip for a couple of years now, since the plan fell through last year.

I will try and put a trip report together when I return.

Bryian

Neil Stollman

@doctorlo

hey bryian,
    that sounds awesome, and we're equally excited (going out sept 19th)
    we're also going in via swift creek, first night granite lake, second night summit lake, third night bear basin and then out swift creek again.
    any tips or advice you have after your trip would be much appreciated.
    have an amazing time!
    neil

Bryian Sheets

@shastafarian

Greetings Neil,

We just made it back from our trip a few days ago, it was completely breathtaking.

Our first night we spent in bear basin, near the start of the main ascent to the pass between bear and black basin. We spent the next 3 nights along deer creek, exploring the deer Creek drainage one day, and day hiked the four lakes loop the next. We hiked the 4 lakes loop clockwise, in doing so, we were able to knock out the biggest climb of the loop right away, and also keep the great views of Stuart fork in front of us. Of all the 4 lakes, I will just regurgitate what others have said before, Summit Lake has the best campsites around. If you want the view, and don't mind a lot of wind, there is 1 camp site waiting for you at Diamond Lake.

We finished our trip by hiking the pass between deer Creek drainage and Granite lake, spending our fifth night lakeside.

I will try and post a full trip report when I have time, but if you have any specific questions between now and when you leave for your trip feel free to PM me.

Have a great trip!

Bryian

Neil Stollman

@doctorlo

Bryian
    report much appreciated!
    we're out next wednesday, doing some prep/planning/shopping this weekend…if i have any specific questions i'll PM you
    muchas gracias
    Neil

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools