Topic

My first MYOG project is a quilt…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My first MYOG project is a quilt…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jason Byers
    Spectator

@jasonb

Locale: Western NC

I'm hoping to complete my first project here soon which will be a synthetic quilt made from Climashield and Momentum 50. I want a very light quilt for summer use. I have a few questions though. I have never sewn anything! Haha, I'm gonna try it anyway. I've looked up two methods of sewing it all together. One looks like he just sewed the outer shell together on three sides, turned right side out, cut the insulation to fit, stuffed it inside and sewed another pass around. Then he rolled the top to hem and rolled the bottom for a draw cord. He sewed velcro on the bottom end sides to complete a simple footbox. Another method was to place the insulation on top of two layers of the shell, sew the sides and turn right side out with the insulation in the middle and then hemming the top and bottom. The rest was basically the same. Which of these two methods will be the easiest to do for me you think? Also a question abouth the climashield, what weight do I need for a 50 degree quilt? I'm ordering from Thru-Hiker and was going to get the 2.5oz stuff.

To add I'm going to sew a simple rectangle shape and maybe taper a little towards the end all square corners, nothing fancy. Thanks guys ahead for any help you might give me.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

2.5oz APEX is fine for 50* (its what i use)

The way i did it when i was just doing them for myself was to lay the full width of climashiled and my shell fabric on the table (climashield then shell right side up) These materials have only been cut to length +3"(3" longer than you cut liner for fudge space). Then on top of that i place the liner material which has been cut to my desired size including 2" for seams. This piece is marked for webbing tabs and anything else i want to add (marked on the wrong side) It is then placed right side down on top of the 1st two layers and centered. I then pin all 3 layers togehter with pins 2-4" apart. I insert any tabs, zipper or drawcord tubes (and cord if tube opens in center *better for head but not foot*) between the shell and the liner. I pin those in place aswell. I now have insulation liner then shell and all my bits inside and pinned together. I mark a spot 10-14" long that i wont sew to turn the quilt inside out (i now leave this spot at the foot as when the drawcrod is pulled tight you cant see the spot where you closed the hole which always shows up a little) Before sewing i trim the insulation and shell to 1/2" bigger than the liner to reduce the bulk i have to deal with. Sew all the way around from one side of your openening stopping at the other side(i use 1/2"-3/4" seam). Now everything is together except your 10-14" hole. Trim the extra fabric and insulation even with your liner piece to remove extra weight and bulk. Turn it inside out and check everything before closing the hole. Sometimes things need to be tweaked and its better to do that now before you sew your access shut. If all is good sew the shell to the insulation at the holes opening at you seam allowance to mark and edge line, sew the same seam on your liner to mark and edge line. Fold the raw edges inside lining up your edge lines and pin the hole closed. If i left the hole at the foot i sew an 1/8" top stitch line across the whole foot, this closes the hole but helps hide the hole from view. If the hole is on the side i do this up both sides to hid the hole from view. Now you're done. Add any cords snaps and what nots and go camping.

-Tim

Jason Byers
    Spectator

@jasonb

Thanks a bunch for the help. I ordered today plenty of material to make a quilt. Hopefully I didn't just throw away $100, haha. I'm trying to find some gutermann thread online and have it here by this weekend. All I can find it in is 1000m spools from the store who have expided shipping. Will a 1000m spool fit on any sewing machine. I have a cheap Brother LX2500. Thanks again.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Check your local fabric store for thread.

Jason Byers
    Spectator

@jasonb

Shoot I'd like to. My nearest fabric store is over an hour away. I live in a small town in western NC. I ended up finding a smaller spool so I'm in good shape now. Thanks guys.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I'd send a few cones of toldi lock surger thread for the cost of shipping. We used them back in oct but I changed to a heavier thread and they are just hanging out

-Tim

Jason Byers
    Spectator

@jasonb

Hey man that sounds great! I was looking how to PM you with some info so I clicked on your name. I didn't realize I was talking to the guy from Enlightened Equipment! Thanks a lot for taking time to help me. I found some contact info on your website I'll send you an email. Thanks again!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Sounds good

-Tim

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I have more if anyone else wants some

3 brown and 3 green all 1500-2000m left in my guess

Just pay shipping.

-Tim

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools