Topic

Decided on the new sleeping bag – now help me choose a fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Decided on the new sleeping bag – now help me choose a fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks to those who responded to my previous thread on Valandre or Feathered Friends.

I have decided to go with Feathered Friends and specifically the Swift.

Now help me choose a fabric: Nanosphere or the lighter, more water resistant (and more expensive ) Pertex UL Endurance.

Oh and a color….; )

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Do you use a bivy? And so is condensation a problem? If so, maybe the more water resistant fabric–unless it doesn't breathe as well!

Nothing is straightforward.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I am well happy with my Nanosphere bag.

Are you moving away from quilts.

Cheers,

Stephen

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have a Pertex shell on my WM bag that is 12 years old. Has held up. Still beads up. Maintained of course.

David Ure

@familyguy

Well you guys are sure helpful! J/K.

FF has indicated that the Pertex is a bit more water resistant and a hair lighter but after watching videos of Nanosphere, it looks highly water resistant to me!

@Stephen
    – no, not going away from quilts. Just adding to the quiver for colder temps.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Good stuff Dave, thats what I thought.

After trying out a quilt at 15f I will definitely be sticking to bags for below freezing.

If you like I can do a shower test on my Lark if that would help.

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi Stephen, that would be amazing, although I would hate for you to get your bag wet!

I still can't make a decision…grrrr…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

IMHO I feel that one chooses a sleeping bag for a lot of other reasons first before being concerned about its shell's DWR.
    1. warmth rating
    2.size/fit
    3. weight
    4. fill type & insulation retention construction (syn. or down)

I have a WM Megalite that I got for its warmth, interior size (B/C I have wide shoulders) and weight, not to mention WM's quality.

Then recently I had WM overfill it to drop the temp rating by about 10 F. when I painfully discovered that high altitude summer camping can see temps well below freezing.

When I first got the Megalite I sprayed it twice with Revivex, the best current DWR. This has worked very well. Can't wait for "Never Wet" to hit the market.

If you're worried about getting the foot of your bag wet when it pushes against your tent bathtub floor walls just put your zipped up WPB parka over the foot of the bag. That trick is also good for getting more warmth at the bottom 1/3 of the bag on a cold night. Remember to really tighten up the hood drawstrings too.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My opinion:

Fabric: seeing as the bag is for colder weather, I would place a higher priority on breathability. FF doesn't seem to give any info on which fabric has breathes better; have you looked into this, David?

Color: for Pertex UL, I like the the azure. The tangerine looks good, but you might get tired of a bright orange bag in a few years. For Nano, the ruby or sky blue.

David Ure

@familyguy

@ Eric – I agree with you. But this is the final step in the ordering process. One fabric has the 900+fill and the other the 850+fill. Differences in cost. This is one of the reasons I am avoiding WM – I find their UL fabrics leak down more than I would care for. FF allows some customization in this regard.

@Steven
    – good point about the breathability. I will ask that on Monday.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Dave,

It's something I do will all my down gear anyway, just did not get around to doing it on the Lark yet.

Will do it in a bit and report back.

Hi Eric,

I cat wait either for the Dwr down, I know 3 cottage vendors who will have it do far :-)

Enlightened.
    Zpacks
    Gooses feet.

Cheers,

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Dave,

Water just beaded straight off it, quick shake and it as dry.

Cheers,

David Ure

@familyguy

Fantastic – thanks!

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

dave any reason 7d or m55 haven't made your list? both feel really nice against the skin…

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

>> Oh and a color….; )

Did you ask what's on their cut list?

David Ure

@familyguy

@Josh – I am not clear that those are options for the bag.

@Sumi – making the call shortly. I was under the impression that the colors listed currently on the website are all available.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

>> I was under the impression that the colors listed currently on the website are all available.

My experience was that, yes, all of the listed colors could be *ordered* but how quickly you got it depended on what they had on hand already made and what was on their immediate cut-list. When I ordered my Grouse, they only had one or two Grouses on hand. The Swift is probably more popular than the Grouse, so maybe not an issue.

Robert H

@roberth

What did you end up getting David? Any additional info would be useful for me at this stage.

So far I understand the NanoSpehre to be more durable and have a permanent waterproofness, as opposed to the slightly lighter but less durable Pertex UL which uses a DWR.

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi Robert,

I went with the Nano in blue with 2oz of overfill. The bag is divine. Any condensation (so far) has just beaded off the fabric, the quality is superb, and the bag almost too warm for 20F. VERY true to rating (of course, the overfill helps).

Robert H

@roberth

Thanks David! Yep I think that pretty much confirms my choice to get the NanoSphere shell as well. Now to work out exactly what bag(s) to order. Wew!

Robert H

@roberth

Hey David,

Sorry to bug you again. I am having trouble finding photos of Feathered Friends bags using the Nanosphere fabric. Just wondering how the colours look in reality as opposed to a colour swatch. Could you perhaps post a photo of your bag? Cheers.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools