Topic

Upper-body Backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Upper-body Backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    George Mills

@marienbad

In the Ultralight world, do people ever hike with a pack that doesn't put any weight on their hips?

Are there packs that strap in very snuggly and hug the chest and ribs and back adequately enough that (for people with strong abdominal muscles) a hip support is unnecessary for light loads?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Many here find that for loads under 25 pounds that a hipbelt is not needed. Take a look at some of the cottage manufacturers offerings.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I always leave the hip belt off my Swift and keep my load below 22 lbs. I dont have any trouble with shoulder pain so long as I keep things light.

David Ure

@familyguy

I always use a hipbelt even if the loads are under 20lbs. It simply affords me the stability I require and as well, allows me to adjust fit on the trail over long days. It has nothing to do with strength (I can still squat significant amounts – >300lbs – and my abdominals are rock hard).

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Like David, I too always use a hip belt. Minimally, it does stabilizaton if adding little for support, but I tend to loosen the shoulder harness over time.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

"Are there packs that strap in very snuggly and hug the chest and ribs and back adequately enough that (for people with strong abdominal muscles) a hip support is unnecessary for light loads?"

That sounds difficult to breath in.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

trick question, right?

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

It is a personal preference that depends on your pack's carry weight being light enough for you to be comfortable.
    I personally find that if I keep my carry loads 14 lbs or lower, then a hip belt is superfluous.
    If my carry loads are 20 lbs or higher, then a hip belt is a definite necessity.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I generally tuck my mason jar bear canister under my arm like a football, and go sans hip belt.

If I find I need more support, I use my catheter as a make shift belt.

If I need even more support, I use the lean back wall of my tent to beef up my pack frame.

For even more frame, I put my SAW vertically against my back like a stay.

If I need more support than that I inflate my back country lazy boy to stiffen the pack to the max.

If I don't have a unflatable lazy boy, or, saw, or catheter, I just bring a pack with a hip belt.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

"Are there packs that strap in very snuggly and hug the chest and ribs and back adequately enough that (for people with strong abdominal muscles) a hip support is unnecessary for light loads?"

Actually, Gossamer Gear makes one. What they call the "Big Bag." It works really well for biking. But I find the lower strap a bit high for support. It also works as a stabilizer to some degree.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Man, I laughed so hard at Cameron's response. Read it while I was breaking in some used leather boots. Macadamia, what a nut!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools