Topic

Go light, go frugal – 55 – 99 cent ponchos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Go light, go frugal – 55 – 99 cent ponchos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

i stumbled onto this site from an ad on the margins of gmail.

just a thought, and a nod to the low cost, disposable alternatives…
    if your poncho in the pack is a 'backup', does it need to be a $50+ pc of gear?
    Just sayin.
    Anyone out there been goin this route? Your input?

http://www.saraglove.com/Rainwear-s/33.htm

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Surely a $1 poncho would not last very long – maybe just one use?

But then, you could buy 50 ponchos for the $50… Not quite as silly as it sounds.

Cheers

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I've got one bought locally that I sometimes carry on day walks when I'm not expecting rain or am but don't care too much if I get wet. I haven't pulled it out of its packet yet though.

If you tear it a little bit you can always tape it up and get some more use out of it. Or if it just has some minor holes in a couple of places, its probably not that big a deal-you aren't going to use it on Everest.

Good thing to have along as a spare if you are out with dependents or new people new to hiking, or maybe on a popular route and its pouring down, and you pass some poor hypothermic soul. Or going to the footy.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have used these sorts of cheap ponchos on trips with very low risk of rain. Mostly they staying in the pack, but a few times they have actually gotten used. Several caveats. They aren't big enough to put over the pack and provide full protection, and no durable enough to go under the pack… so they are most useful for when you are standing around. I found them less effective at keeping me dry that other ponchos I have used, which have been less effective for me that rain jacket /pants. They can be reusable… but they are very easy to tear. Duct tape does still to them and can be used to repair provided you dry the surface before applying tape.

I haven't taken them on a trip for several years. Either I am confident that I will be ok if I get wet (will be able to stay warm enough moving and be able to dry when stopped) or I take something that is more substantial and I believe is more likely to keep me dry (or at least warm enough).

–mark

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I have used these, also, on trips with a low expectation of rain–they weigh almost nothing. On one trip to Utah we ran into totally unpredicted bad weather–wind and rain/sleet mix. Somehow, I actually stayed pretty dry and my pack (with silnylon pack cover) did too. And the $1 poncho didn't even tear! I have upgraded to a somewhat heavier Dri-ducks "emergency" poncho, which is a bit larger, sturdier, but heavier. I bring it when there is some chance of rain.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I keep a dry ducks emergency poncho with me when mountain biking in the Sierra. Great insurance for a down pour.

As for hiking, no cheap poncho, as my rain jacket doubles for warmth in camp.

Steve

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

When I used a Gatewood Cape as both shelter and rain gear, I'd have one of these ponchos in case it was raining in camp after the Gatewood was set up. Came in handy a couple of times, especially when hiking with others and not wanting to beat a hasty retreat into my shelter.

Brent Mahan

@thenerb

Locale: Southern New Hampshire

Free shipping when you order at least 8,000 of them too!

In all seriousness, though, they are only .01mm thick. That isn't going to last long at all.

Then again, they weigh almost nothing and who cares if they get ripped.

Not a bad idea.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I was going to order a handful of them, added 10 of them to my cart and then had a good laugh at the shipping charges

I guess I do have the option of adding 7,990 more of them and get free shipping :)

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

I have been using the same dollar store poncho for a few years now. I haven't done any extended hiking with it on but it has gotten plenty of use lounging in camp and fishing on a boat in Oregon. It's similar to a lot of lightweight gear, treat it gently and it will hold up fine. On most trips I carry a rain jacket and a dollar-store poncho to keep key parts my lower half dry.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools