Topic

Would you do me the favor of lending your opinion?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Would you do me the favor of lending your opinion?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

So does anyone think something like this would be worthwhile? I can’t make it much prettier, since I can’t do real coding in a forum post (only some basic coding). I’m wondering if something like this would be useful to those who are tired of crawling through lots and lots of posts they might not have an interest in, but still want to engage. It’s more than the revolving images on the home page, but less than everything. This is just a concept post, FWIW. What do y’all think?

This week on BPL

Articles

Brad Groves tests rain pants…
    story1

Dave Chenault reviews some rackless bag systems for bikepacking
    story

Trip Reports

.dan

Dan Durston takes a shot at the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open!

.chris

Christopher Yi braves the traffic for a weekend at Yosemite…

In the Forum

A few interesting discussions in the forum this week:

Want some lightweight camp shoes? Make your own!

A self-described ‘newbie’ asks a few questions about bike touring

Can you get paid to backpack?

We all love chocolate in our gorp, but what about when the temp rises?

Blogs we like

Dave Chinault is talking about the Bob Open over at Bedrock and Paradox

Craig Wisner wrote about his “Spines to Pines” trip with a couple of fellow BPLers over at Sweeping the Garden

Our friends over at Gossamer Gear are on their way to trek in the Pisgah National Forest with Andy Skurka

New to Lightweight Backpacking?

These articles and threads, from the archives of BPL, might be useful! Some of the articles will require membership to read.

On-Trail Route Finding: When the Trail is Hard to Follow

What a Beginner Needs for Backpacking

Food planning using pounds per person per day

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Well, everything was a live link, but the system stripped them out after the first two. Must be yet another in the long line of limitations in the software, or an intentional decision to save us from spammers.

Anyway, you get the idea. Obviously won't work as a post. But I'd like something like this on the front page of BPL instead of just rotating images (of which only two are articles, the other three just want you to spend money).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I think it is a good idea. Like a week in review. Hit the highs, skip the chaff. So many bloggers out there. It would be of benefit to a lot of us who are not aware of many of them.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Doug! This sounds really great! I've thrown in some suggestions in the Members Only and Life Members Only forums to have some of this info on the home page (list/preview of articles and links to free articles for beginners).

If it's too much for the staff (I'm not too sure Maia can spend much time keeping track of others' blogs while she's filling in for Addie, hee hee), the "Blogs We Like" part could be omitted. It would be nice to have it if it's feasible, though.

Just the rest of it on the home page would improve BPL's image to the incoming public at least 100%–more like 200%! I really like what you've done with the format, even with the forum limitations.

Of course I recognize the format of Hendrik Morkel's "Hiking in Finland" Week in Review articles, but that's fine–his is one of my favorite blogs, and any imitation is definitely flattery!

I personally think we should keep "Subscription" off the home page; let newcomers discover the free articles and forum and get an idea of what more they can see if they subscribe before hitting them up for money.

Thank you for this suggestion, Doug–I hope BPL management will pay attention!!!

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Looks great, Doug! Much better than the current front page!

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Great concept !

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Doug, you are onto yet another great idea. Outside the box, and that's good. I'm all for a new format on the front page, and your idea has merit. Are you listening, Maia, or are you still sleeping near the fireplace?

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I like it. +1

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

This looks the auto-e-mail I get every week, was that the intent?

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Kind of Susan

But it would be here for new visitors. And has the threads and blogs section too.

I like it

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

+1

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Doug,

I really like where you're going with this idea, even as a simple rough sketch of what could be.

We can dream can't we?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

E mail to Ryan ryan(at)backpackinglight dot com

Suggest the change be made.

Maybe he'll listen to you.

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

I really like it. As it is now my saved favorite is the forum page.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Doug,

Nice work as always. It looks a lot like the "old" BPL emails we used to get weekly that covered the lead articles as well as recent reviews and trip reports (if I recall correctly).

I'm all for it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools