Topic

winter water bottle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) winter water bottle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

Typical winter trips are very cold, always hoping for below zero nights and single digit to low teen highs.

My old water bottle set up was a Nalgene in an insulated water bottle holder on the side of the pack and a collapsible Nalgene in a chest pocket to keep it from freezing. I really like this setup and would like to keep it. One of the collapsible Nalgene’s sprung a leak and the dog turned the other one into a chew toy one day a few months ago. I think he knew that the one I was using had just sprung a leak way to early and was saving me the embarrassment of having a leaky water bottle in the mountains. At least that’s what the wagging tail and excitement when I got home from work that day was saying.

I am looking for options to replace the soft sided water bottle, here is what I can think of:

1. another soft sided Nalgene – every review and my experience shows that they develop a leak at where the hard plastic meets the soft plastic way to quickly

2. a platypus – requires taking a funnel, and at this point I am less concerned with reducing my winter weight as I am the number of items and volume in my pack. The funnel breaks both.

3. a second hard sided Nalgene – this won't fit into my chest pocket so would require a second insulated water bottle holder on the other side of my pack. Breaks the other rule

4. everyone at BPL calls platypus until they start making wide mouth soft sided water bottles (personal favorite)

5. could I heat up a hard sided nalgene and form it into an oval instead of a circle so that it could fit in my chest pocket?

6. any other ideas?

Thanks for the help

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Don't need funnel with Platypus.

Fill up other bottle and pour into Platypus.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

How do you not end up with burnt or wet fingers?

I am not that careful possible.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I don't understand your question : )

You take the water bottle and dip it into the stream or lake and fill with water, then pour into Platypus, repeat until Platypus is full, fill water bottle one more time if you need it also…

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

2 x 16 oz widemouth nalgenes. They double as hot water bottles at night, boot warmers/dryers, and so forth. Tie a bit of thin cord around the neck so you can use a ski pole to fish for water (and not get gloves wet when it's -10F).

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

How much volume are you looking at per bottle?

Nalgene sells oblong containers that you can usually find at REI or such.

Or ask someone that works in a lab for an empty (but not contaminated) 1L irrigation bottle. Pretty darn light (~2 oz I think) and medium-width mouth.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

everyone at BPL calls platypus until they start making wide mouth soft sided water bottles (personal favorite)

Don't Nalgene canteens fit the bill?

Would a Nalgene flask suit your neck flask needs?

I use a 1/2 liter platy for a neck flask … can manage filling it with little spillage (yes, narrow mouth). I'm not finding them for sale right now but this is similar (glitzier, however)

Winter "bulk" water storage is the only time I use hard wide mouth Nalgenes (in a reflectix cozie).

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Sorry Jerry, I was refering to either melting snow or boiling water to keep it from freezing.

I like the two 16oz nalgene and the irrigation bottle ideas. Does the irrigation bottle come in an oval shape or only circle? How about leakage, it would be nice if the container could come in the sleeping bag at night. I never brought the soft sided nalgenes in the bag becuase of the leaking reviews I had read and now experienced.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Jim,

The canteens are what leak at the corners where the hard plastic meets the soft colapsable plastic

The other two have too small of a mouth hole to try and fill with boiling water.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I use 2 quart size wide mouth gatorade bottles. I'll usually put one in my pack up against the back panel to keep from freezing. I tie a spectra cord around the neck of the other as Dave described to fish for water.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

All I have used for the last 15+ years are empty 1.25 L PET Rocket-based pop bottles.
    They are FREE.
    They are lighter than anything else.
    The small cap seals really well (fully drop-tested).
    They don't leak inside my quilt either.

I carry them inside my pack against my back, where they never freeze.
    I fill them using my cup or my cooking pot.
    They don't 'like' boiling water, but when I am melting snow it never gets that hot anyhow.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

But the OP is looking for soft bottles, not rigid.

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

Irrigation bottles come in different shapes, but I was thinking of the 1L ones with a rectangular footprint. Representative picture here: http://www.betterlivingnow.com/products/proddetail.cfm?ndc=00338340765

Stick with one that had water or sodium chloride in it originally. Some other nice ideas listed too.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

The other two have too small of a mouth hole to try and fill with boiling water.

I can't disagree with that …. except that for a neck bottle I'm not using water warmer than about 120F.

I did camp with a guy who filled his large platy with boiled water. I commented that I'd never be tempted to try that. His reply …. "I pour liquids for a living." (he's a chemist). Different campers, different skill sets!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools