Topic

Rain Pants State of the Market Report

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Rain Pants State of the Market Report

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Rain Pants State of the Market Report

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have a different conclusion, not that I won't change my mind in the future

WPB isn't perfect but a little better than totally non breathable fabric when exercising

With a poncho, if it's windy, it blows around too much, and rain blows in. If I have a loose jacket, I can unzip front when it's not too windy and get benefits of poncho. Occasionally I pull my arms out of sleeves.

Worse points are shoulders and top of head where the fabric pushes against skin

If I quit exercising, then I'll dry out after a while with WPB, not with waterproof

William Johnsen
    BPL Member

@sixoclocknews

Thank you both very much for your responses. I realize my comment about how BPL should devise a test might have been taken the wrong way and I apologize for that. I know it's not a novel idea, sorry if it came across like that.

So if there are physical limitations (of the fabrics) to achieving the breathability required, is there a test that could approximate the relative crappy-ness of a fabric for mountain use? Or are the 2 layer, 2.5 layer a 3 layer fabric all the same? I know there are some minor functional differences depending on the layers (ie proshell is more comfortable than precip, to me at least). Are all 2.5 layers the same?

I understand that each environment, metabolic rate, wear, etc will all affect the garment. It just seems like we didn't get any of that information in the report, which is why I was questioning it's value. I can also understand not wanting re-hash all this with each report, but if it's pretty much a fit guide to some pants, why not include measurements?

Does BPL have to worry about flack from companies? Or were you referring to if one of the manufacturers was designing the test?

Haha sorry Roger I don't have 50K to donate to the cause, just curious as to what you think a good test would be. Never know what could come of it.

Roman Vazhnov
    BPL Member

@joarr

Locale: Russia

Richard, could you please tell more about J.E. Ruckman test?
    At first Event has full breathability (=1). After 24 hours it has 1/10 of full breathability. After 7 days it has 0 breathability.
    Questions:
    – after 24 hours hydrophilic PU has 1/10 of full breathability of Event? (And at first hydrophilic PU had, let's say 1/2 of full breathability of Event). Then it maintains 1/10 of breathability for 30 days? What happens after 30 days? No breathability too?
    – What causes Event to stop transporting vapour after 7 days?
    – Why does hydrophilic PU last longer?
    – Is there some data for new hydrophobic PU membranes, for example Neoshell?
    //excuse me for my english.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Does BPL have to worry about flack from companies?
    I think the question might be better worded as 'Does BPL worry about what reaction the companies might have if we are critical?'

I can tell you quite positively that the answer is NO. BPL does NOT worry. (That's one reason BPL does not carry the usual ads from companies: we are independent.)

Realistically, as long as we review the product, that seems to be enough. That gets Google hits.

Cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

OK, nobody in UL backpacking likes to carry the "extra weight" of rainpants. That's a given, evidenced by all the alternative solutions like rain kilts, trash bags, bare legs, Cuben fabric rain chaps, etc.

My "forced" solution, for budgetary reasons, is Cabela's PacLite rainpants. Light "enough" at 15 oz. and very packable into their own hip pocket. They have protected me well in high Sierra and Rocky Mountain downpours. I got 'em on sale for $79. + shipping. I also have the companion Cabela's PacLite GTX parka at a great price as well.

THEN… last year I bought an REI Kimtah eVent parka, on sale, because it is the breathability of the parka that is really most important. Torsos seem to produce more "noticable" perspiration than legs. Plus parkas are used much more often than rainpants and I could justify the cost. (Even gearheads try to justify purchases!)

So with eVent parka and PacLite pants I have a fairly good WPB combo – light but not UL light, but durable AND within my budget.

P.S. Much like an earlier "REVIEW" of State-of-the-Market of mid cut boots this article is NOT subjective, and certainly not helpful as too few products were reviewed, let alone actually objectively tested.
    BPL has put out some excellent test articles and reviews but the kind of chaff as seen in this article we can do without.

Brian Peck
    BPL Member

@brianpeck

Locale: North America

Hi Jeffrey, Re your query, I'm in the same boat, in my case 6'4" and an inseam of 36" on pants. With hiking pants though, you'd normally not want them dragging, so I'd look for a 34" or 35" inseam. The only ones I've found that fit me well were from Arcteryx. The Alpha SL's use Paclite, are quoted at 9 oz. and come in a normal inseam which is 31" but also in a 34" inseam Tall. I had to look for Tall's for quite some time before I found them, so when I did find them, I bought two pairs (and haven't regretted it! Enjoy.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

So I had to retire my last pair of GoLite Reeds. I wear rain pants often enough that they need to be replaced. Anything new since this article came out that I should be looking for. I want light and simple. I have a heavy Marmot pair for snow with full side zips and all the extras. The Vesalite still a good choice?

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

This year I purchased the M.B Versalite rain pant, I was able to get the Japanese sized XL (I have a 32" inseam and 34" waist) which fits me perfect and weighs a remarkable 3.5oz on the nose. I have used them quite a bit this rainy late winter and early spring here in the PNW and I really dig them. They have proven themselves and have had no issues.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools