Topic

grand canyon of the tuolumne

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning grand canyon of the tuolumne

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Keegan D

@nageek18

Locale: Bay Area

I am hoping to hike the grand canyon of the tuolumne next week but am wondering whats the best way to shuttle to/from white wolf and tuolumne meadows. I know there are the yart bus's but it looks like they only run on weekends in June and I would like to do my trip mid week. Does anyone know of any other ways to get a shuttle during this time of the year? How likely is it to catch a ride hitch hiking back? I've never hitch hiked before and would like to only use this as the last resort.

Also, which direction do you prefer to travel the canyon? I'm leaning towards going from white wolf to tuolumne meadows because I don't want to deal with the crazy climb at the end of the trip.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've done it only once, but I agree with your choice of direction. The river is running OK, but the flow is not crazy like last year at this time. Some of the tributary streams will be wet, but not so bad.

As for hitch hiking, I've done it along the Tioga Road a couple of times. There is a fair amount of car traffic, so you will eventually get a ride, but you might need to wait a lot. Think about whether that is best at the beginning or at the end. Also, try to hitch a ride without your backpack.

–B.G.–

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Give us a trip report; I will ther at the end of June! Best regards -Jon

Keegan D

@nageek18

Thanks Bob for the advice. hitching a ride without a pack is probably easier, but I don't think I have that option if I want to start at white wolf and I will be driving in from the west entrance.

I read some of the trip reports from last year and the water levels looked crazy high. With the low snow pack this year, this looks like the best time to make this trip.

I will be hiking with a friend too, so is it easier to hitch a ride alone or with another?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

It is generally easier to hitch as a solo person without a huge amount of gear. It's safer to hitch with a partner. However, inside a national park like that, I doubt that there is much crime in this regard.

I hitched a ride once from the Crane Intersection up to Tuolumne Meadows. Unfortunately, it was in the open back of a pickup truck. I had a windbreaker on, but I was hypothermic by the time I got to the end.

I was around the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir last week, and the water flow looked like mid-summer.

As I recall, the trail just east of Pate Valley has poison oak along the sides.

–B.G.–

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

This may get you part of the way there. You would still need to get from white wolf to Olmsted. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tmbus.htm. I suspect this runs during the week now since tioga road has been open for a while. Hope it works out for you.

nathan matthews

@nathanm

Like Bob, I've only tried there once, in 2005 or so, but my girlfriend and I had no problem hitching a ride with packs from Tuolumne Meadows back to Tenaya Lake. This was later in June, but only a week after the road had opened (it was a heavy snow year). I'd go ahead and try now, although I've had a lot of experience hitching elsewhere.

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Locale: San Francisco, CA

I have hitched both ways on Tioga over the years and never had a problem. I would say that hitching w/in the park is easy and actually I have always kind of enjoyed it, part of the adventure… I found that being on the road in a spot where people can get a look at you before hand and have a place to pull over helps. Also I use a tyvek ground sheet and wrote a message with a sharpie prior to my trip so people knew it was just a shuttle ride.

Keegan D

@nageek18

Thanks everyone for the past experiences and advice. I especially liked the idea of making a sign to show your intentions. If worse comes to worse, we can just go back to the wilderness station and get a permit to take a different trip.

Also, is there any proper etiquette for hitching a ride? Like, should I offer them money for gas? Do I try and make small talk or just keep to myself? Sorry for sounding like a noob, I just don't have much experience with hitching.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I especially liked the idea of making a sign to show your intentions."

Generally I am carrying a topo map, and the back is white. I just write the word "RIDE" in big letters on it and hold it up.

"If worse comes to worse, we can just go back to the wilderness station and get a permit to take a different trip."

You may find that to be quite a hassle. Maybe not quite so bad if it is mid-week. Still a hassle.

"Also, is there any proper etiquette for hitching a ride? Like, should I offer them money for gas? Do I try and make small talk or just keep to myself? Sorry for sounding like a noob, I just don't have much experience with hitching."

Generally, as you are getting out of the car, you ask if you can chip in a couple of bucks for gas. Some drivers will accept that, and others won't.

I have hitched rides before where the driver went out of his way to drop me off exactly at my destination, and then would not accept my cash. Plus, it was a distance of nearly a hundred miles. The trick was that the driver was going about 20mph above the speed limit the entire way, so I never said a word to distract him.

I hitched a ride in Yosemite one time. The vehicle already had five people in five seats. They crowded up in the back seat in order to make room for me with my pack in the front.

–B.G.–

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools