Topic

MYOG Camp shoe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Camp shoe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Here's a ruff model of a camp shoe I'm working on. It uses one of those disposable flip flops from a womens spa, some nettng I had laying around, a draw cord, and a piece of ccf foam added to the bottom for extra coushon and protection.

I don't have a weight, my scale won't measure something this light, not even in grams

camp shoe

back

side

I used the mesh so I could keep out pebbles and stickers, also if I go in the water the water won't stay in the shoe.

Jack

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Man–I would give these about twenty minutes in camp, before those straps break. And if there is any current in that water, my guess is that they will be gone in seconds.

We use Crocs for our camp shoes…and even they take a beating. I've got duct tape holding mine together after a few mishaps.

Tony Fischer
    Spectator

@adfischer

I am experimenting with spa shoes as well. The weak part is definitely the toe strap. I was thinking of using duct tape to make a strap over my feet. They are not very durable, but very light. Please post your results.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Very cool! Keep us posted.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

@ Paul, I also have a croc style shoe that is my go to shoe when I'm in camp or crossing water. I made these mainly to see if it would work, and something super light weight for around camp. I may only get one trip out of them, but it's fun just to make new gear and try it out, will see. The one problem I have, is they don't make these any bigger, these are tailored towards women, and I have a size 12 foot that barely fits inside. I would have used 2 pieces of ccf instead of the spa flip flop, but my machine wont sew something that thick.

Thanks for all the comments, Jack

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Pretty cool!

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I'm with you roger, although I may even go more minimal!

I'll wear my shoes, laces loose in camp if the ground is thorny or rocky (I love my desert, but it sure is inhospitable). If I get the luxury of pine duff or sand, which usually means I'll have wet feet as well, I'll just go barefoot or tie some grocery bags around my feet. Sometimes it backfires but it's definitely simple. That said, I do like the OP's shoes. If they prove more durable than one trip use I may have to investigate myself.

Camp Booties

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Actually, those might be really good camp shoes for hanging around and keeping mosquitoes from biting your feet. I guess it would depend on how loosely the mesh wraps around your feet.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I use the Dyneema Overboots that's came with Gooses Feet down booties, they only weigh an ounce or so and have foam inserts.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Do you think these woud stay on and provide enough traction for river crossings?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

No. They will fill with water and get pulled off. Plus they are very oversized since they fit over your puffy covered feet.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I only use mine for camp, as Ken mentioned they would be no good for water use.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Good to know.
    Darn I wish sprint aquatics would start selling their nylon mesh slippers again.
    Maybe I'll do my own myog experimenting here as well.

Tony Fischer
    Spectator

@adfischer

What about something like this:

http://www.invisibleshoe.com/store/

They have directions on making your own. Perhaps you could add some paracord to them. I am going to try making some with some old insoles.

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

Jack,
    Those look pretty cool, but I have to agree that they look like they won't hold up.
    I like seeing different ideas on how to do things so please keep us posted after you have used them.

I made a pair of evazote foam camp shoes and taped them together with duct tape.
    They weigh in at 2.6 oz now. (They were lighter, but I found I needed to add extra duct tape to the bottoms to make them more usable.)

They would certainly not work for river crossings but are great for evenings in camp and getting the trail runners off my feet for a little bit before bed.

I used to use Croc's and liked them, but at 14 oz for my size they were just too heavy to keep using.

Tony Fischer
    Spectator

@adfischer

Here is my first prototype of some huarache like shoes for summer. Just some Wal-Mart sleeping pad and paracord. Weigh in at just under 1oz.

There are several ways to ties these including wrapping the ankles for more security when river crossing.

The knot is just a taught line hitch so the tightness can be adjusted. Im sure many other knot and lace combinations would work.

Tony

huarache shoes

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Tony, you may find that those holes will rip out. I hot glued fabric patches over the holes and punched the holes through the fabric and foam. That's been holding up well.

Tony Fischer
    Spectator

@adfischer

I agree the holes may rip out. These were just the test pair to see if the concept would work for me. I'm thinking on these I could wrap some duct tape around them for added strength. Fabric is a good idea but I'm going with the idea that I need to be able to repair them on the trail with what I have. You could probably have 3 or so blowouts and be able to repair them. I was also thinking if I make them more square they could be flipped around and a new set of holes started if needed.

Other thought is find some more durable material. Going to try an old insole and see how that works too although they are a bit heavier – probably 4-6 ounces total vs these at 1 oz.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Tony, those look great. Could you go into more detail on how you tied them? Thinking of making some for myself as I have some blue walmart foam laying around here somewhere.
    Thanks!

John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

I used to use Crocs but they are heavy and bulky. I wear trail runners backpacking and simply loosen my laces in camp. Since I use my trail shoes as part of my pillow "system," when I need to use the bathroom at night or check the bear bag after my shoes are put away, I slip on my nifty duct tape, insole sandals. They weigh in at a cool 1.7 oz per pair and "nest" well inside my pack during the day. They are a bit flimsy on an off-camber slope, and can be slippery on certain surfaces, but for the price and simple UL/MYOG elegance, they are a keeper for now.Insole Sandal

Tony Fischer
    Spectator

@adfischer

John,

Take a look at this site:

http://www.invisibleshoe.com/how-to-make-huaraches/

It describes how to lace them. He is selling soles for them which I actually think I might buy since they would be much more durable than the foam pad. I believe they are only 3 oz and cost just $21.

John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

I like the idea, and they will be more substantial in camp. I do, however, like the ease and simplicity of slipping on the shoes rather than lacing, for those quick walks to water the trees.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools