Topic

Lost Coast / King Range – May 25-27

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Lost Coast / King Range – May 25-27

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Hey gang.

Heading up to the King Range Wilderness in a couple of weeks for a Fri/Sat/Sun hike. I will be meeting Ken T. at the trailhead and have room in my truck for one or two more people if anyone is interested.

Starting from Saddle Mountain trailhead, we'll head to Maple Camp, next day to Big Flat, last day hike the beach back to Buck Creek Trail and out. Will bag Saddle Mtn. and King peak along the way. This is 8 miles a day or less, leisurely pace, lots of time to wander, ponder, and whatever else rhymes with 'onder'. Bear canister is required, whiskey optional, but recommended.

I'll be leaving Fri 5/25 from Stockton around 8:00 AM and expect to be home late-ish (9:00 PM or after) on Sunday 5/27. If you are interested just lemme know, and we'll figure it out.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Here is the general vicinity

lcmap

Saddle Mountain, Rattlesnake Ridge, Buck Creek Loop (Saddle Mountain Trailhead)
    20.9 miles, 1200 ft. climb, 4,000 ft. descent, 3,300 ft. climb
    This 2-3 day moderate to difficult hiking loop is a great alternative to the popular Lost Coast Trail, as it climbs to King Peak (4,088 ft.) and descends to the beach. Park at the Saddle Mountain Trailhead and a gradual climb through a mixture of chaparral and forest, topping off with the spectacular King Peak vista. Then follow the King Crest Trail to Rattlesnake Ridge Trail. It is recommended only for adventurous backpackers who don't mind some bushwhacking and stream crossings. Follows brushy Rattlesnake Ridge before descending through old-growth forest to Big Flat Creek. Ferns and mosses line the boulder choked channel of Big Flat Creek, which you must cross multiple times on the way to the coast (bring extra shoes). You will find a year-round spring at Bear Hollow Camp after leaving King Crest Trail (fill up water here). The stretch of the Lost Coast Trail between Big Flat and Buck Creek may be impassable during high tide; take a tide chart with you. Fill up water again at Buck Creek before heading up the Buck Creek Trail to the Saddle Mountain Trailhead. NOTE: The lower portion of Rattlesnake Ridge Trail is often covered by landslides during the winter storm season. It is recommended to go up Buck Creek and down Rattlesnake Ridge.

This is part of the scheduled fun.
    Buck Creek Trail ( Saddle Mountain Beach-Trailhead )
    4.5 miles, 400 ft. descent. 3,300 ft. climb.
    Infamous as having one of the steepest grades of any Northern California trail, Buck Creek follows an old logging road through forests to the coast. Water is available only at the mouth of Buck Creek.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Thanks for posting the route info, Ken.

Yep… the climb out should get the blood pumping.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Bump. I added some more information to my above post.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Wish I could go. Babysitting that Friday night.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Jacob you will definitely have your walking legs after this Sunday. Could timing on your part.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Too bad Matthew, no rain forecasted. Have fun with the little one.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

No takers?

I'll be on my best behavior.

Trace Richardson
    BPL Member

@tracedef

I keep looking at this but then I remember that Google maps is telling me I would have an 11 hour drive from San Diego. Damn! Have to do this some day.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

11 hours sounds a little optimistic. I only have a 50 mile drive but it will take me 2 hours. It's a haul from anywhere.

@Josh
    . If you are still on the fence then we might see you after all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools