Topic

Zion Nat’l Park Traverse 2012, aka “The Trans-Zion”, BPL Group Run-Round #2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Zion Nat’l Park Traverse 2012, aka “The Trans-Zion”, BPL Group Run-Round #2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 126 through 136 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

thought I'd report back on my purchase of the Fluid 6. first mine came under spec at 9.5 oz :)

there are several small front pockets on the vest portion, one is zippered and just the right size to stow a couple dozen electrolyte pills

it doesn't come w/ a bladder, but has a sleeve and velcro loop to hang one- been using a 2.0 liter Platy Hoser w/ mine

I've had on two long runs, one 19 the other 20.5, the pack carries very nicely- there is no bouncing or jiggling, should have moved to a vest style pack earlier :)

a couple of small nit pics- would be nice to have a small mesh pocket in the main pack to separate things like TP, FAK, headlamp etc- they easily do this for less than a 1/2 oz; would be nice to have one slightly larger front pocket on the vest portion- something that would hold a camera or the like

the pack definitely would do a long day adventure- including a light insulating layer and a days worth of food, appears to be a keeper!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I have hit my decision point for Zion. I had an outstanding 36 mile trail run on the AT Sunday and while I am not as confident as I was for the R2R2R trip but I am ready to book the trip if it's still on. I would fly to vegas Thursday night and hit Zion early Friday flying back out on Sunday. So what's the verdict?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

very good question :) I got an email from Eugene a week or so ago that hinted that he might pull out, it appears Craig is out

several folks that have expressed interest early haven't posted to this thread in quite some time, so doesn't look good at the moment anyways

Mike

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I will also pass on the October trip, but am interested at some future time.
    this is just the time of year I tend to switch my focus to the rest of my life and try to tackle all those chores I've been ignoring all year long.

John and I may go there next spring, April 19, 2013, for the Zion 100 miler.
    they also have a 100k (62 miler).
    its not inside the park but just outside. National Parks do not allow official races.
    probably not quite as beautiful as the Zion Traverse, but still beautiful.

Zion 100

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Sorry to leave this hanging.

I am going to call this one and save it for a future time as well. I've been going back and forth. In a nutshell, inconsistent long running, interspersed with mountain biking over the last few months hasn't fully prepared me for a solid run at Zion. I'm fit, but not Zion Traverse fit, just havent invested the time on the feet I need to have a good run out there. Could I finish? Yea, but I don't want to "just finish". I wish I had an epic reason why I can't do this, you know, I was crushed by an errant boulder on a run, or I was mauled by a cougar and suffered sever lacerations to 90% of my body….but I don't. Time, finances, and family priority is dictating my decision this go round and I need to stick to my guns.

I forget our R2R2R was only 6 months ago, so im ok pushing this back to next spring when all interested members can commit. Sorry if this kills the vibe here.

Let's all keep in touch and keep the ball rolling for a future gathering, hopefully sooner rather than never.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

We'll think about spring then.

Although I have to say, after surfing or being in the ocean nearly daily for the past month, I'm beginning to wonder if ultrarunning is for suckers…
    :)

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

… but how many of us have ever won a coffee mug for surfing ?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Spring will work for me. It's a little easier sell to my wife going on one "big run" trip a year (vs two) :)

I'm hoping to have a little longer stay vs the Grand Canyon, I really want to sit around a fire and gab with you guys- had a great time at the GC, but it was a little rushed on my end- not so next spring!

Mike

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

Spring works better for me as well. My recovery post-Hardrock was very slow, and as a result I did not really run for 2 months. I'm getting back in shape, and should be in fine shape come spring after 2 ultras planned in February.

If anyone else was game for traveling from Colorado, carpooling would be groovy…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Eric-nice to hear from you :) I didn't know you did Hardrock- big congrats on that!

I'm hoping we can pull this off in the spring, really looking forward to seeing everyone (and maybe some new folks to boot!)

Mike

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

i was hoping this would still happen. i have been absolutely slammed with school and work so i am not sure i could even take the time to go, but like everyone else i always train better with a goal.

keep setting the bar high guys, this trip will be so awesome when it happens.

Viewing 11 posts - 126 through 136 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools